Any magnesium welders out there?

Rufer19

Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to share findings. So I've had my chaincase apart a few times. It's probably been 700ish kms since the last time I had it apart. Anyways the last time I had it apart I torqued the bolt up to spec and used red loctite. The bolt had backed itself out and chewed apart the chaincase. The C-clip had bent and pushed out of the way. I guess what I'm wondering is if there is any thing I can do differently next time to prevent this from happening? Are there any aftermarket chaincases covers out there? Is there anywhere to find a good used cheap cover?
Thanks guys, hopefully these pics work.

Attachments

• Iphone mar.8.12 004.jpg
    Iphone mar.8.12 004.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 173
  • Iphone mar.8.12 005.jpg
    Iphone mar.8.12 005.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Iphone mar.8.12 006.jpg
    Iphone mar.8.12 006.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Iphone mar.8.12 007.jpg
    Iphone mar.8.12 007.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 179

Rufer19

Reaction score
Ha oh no it's the real deal. I'm thinking if that circlip didn't come out I would have been fine. Oh well I guess more red loctite, new cover, re-torque, new circlip, and we're running again.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen crankcases welded. Don't see any reason that piece can't be welded back in by someone with more talent than me.

Rufer19

Reaction score
Does anyone think a big gob of JB weld would hold? Or is that risking it too much?

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would try JB weld, just be sure to brake clean everything well before. Done a crank case on a dirt bike and never had any issues for 4 years.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call mike at devon machine..or i think it tt racing in leduc(sprint car place)

Rufer19

Reaction score
So it is possible to weld Magnesium. I've been told by a few fella's that Magnesium will start on fire? I don't know. I'll give these guys a shout and try them. If not sounds like JB weld might do the trick. Any ideas on how to keep the bolt from backing out again and keeping the circlip in place? Also if you can believe it a new case is only $220 here in Canada and $130ish in the States so basically I'm fussing over nothing and I should just order one up.
Thanks again guys.

rocky4q

Reaction score
Mag can start on fire but it can be welded. Just has to be real clean. Your probably better off filling the entire hole with weld rather than welding your piece in. Just have to take the seal out, get all the oil off etc.

powder muncher

Reaction score
Looks like no structure there a well done JB weld job will make it good as new done many clutch and mag covers on dirtbikes , even fixed my bike rad and ran it for 2 weeks untill the replacement came in without a problem.

If nothing else it wil get ypu by for the rest of the season and you can look for a good used one in the off season.

cheers,,,,,,,

Rufer19

Reaction score
Had a local machine shop TIG it up. He was a little worried about the weld being porous, so I gobbed on the JB over top on the outside. Had it out in Sparwood and put on over 200kms. Worked no problem. Sorry forgot to take pics of it when it was apart.

Top Bottom