Any "First Ride" reports for a 2012 Summit E-tec?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lke the bars and the sled is awsome. Just would like to have the seperate control for thumb and bar heat.

Sure glad I went with the black...Ed's white one wasn't lookin so white yesterday.

Yeah the white's are high maintenance.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have problems with clutching, I rode revy first ride of the year. I ran clicker #1 the whole time, I was obviously over reving down low.
I was expecting to at least run clicker 3-4 up top, but ran clicker #1 and was 7900-8000 dealer told me they would put heaver weights in.
I would have thought that same weights would go in all 2012 X 163's, seem fishy to me.
My buddy with X 154 was running clicker #3 up top, this seemed more reasonable to me.
Mine is an X 163.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.
I do ride around our lake and whitecourt often so i would be over reving down there all day.
My brothers did this too, right out of the box it was on clicker 1 now he is on 4. is that new belt causing this condition I wonder.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by LID
Anyone else (or did I miss it earlier in the thread) notice a bog and even a backfire when on the way in at about 900m-1200m elevation? It seems to disappear above and below that range.
Sled's properly warmed up, and not driving nuts or anything.

My 2011 used to do this all the time, it actually was pizzing me off, and it was worse on the trail and at lower altiude, and it did not go away after breakin.
I reclutched mine and loaded the engine harder down low in the rpm range and it stopped it at altude but still did it on the trail, so I clicked down to 1 on the trail to try it and It never did it once, it would consistantly do it, so I know clicking down helped. but that doesn't help 2012 owners that are on clicker 1 at altitude.
My dealer told be the other day that there is a new flash out for the 800 etec for all years, for this misfire and hesitation.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well pretty happy after 700km's on the 2012 sound to happy to take out a arm and get hauled out but the a arm buckled at the weld versus my 09 taking out the s module i replaced the s module 3 times in my 09 so to change out a arms rather than s modules is cheaper and faster in my mind getting hauled out by m8 still crappy

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has posted this but I am constantly being sprayed with snow whenever my skies touch the powder. I usually dont care much either way because my skies are almost always in the air but I have had wet gloves on every ride on this 12.
a small price to pay for all of the things I love about my sled though. Instead of $550 for new skies I just picked up a new pair of Klim gloves :d

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has posted this but I am constantly being sprayed with snow whenever my skies touch the powder. I usually dont care much either way because my skies are almost always in the air but I have had wet gloves on every ride on this 12.
a small price to pay for all of the things I love about my sled though. Instead of $550 for new skies I just picked up a new pair of Klim gloves :d

The DS skis?

I once tried the swapping of the Pilot 6.9's left for right and it did the same thing, funnel the snow right at you, it was stupid. Not sure how anyone felt it was better. Obviously they never rode in powder. I found with the DS skis they just plow. Wasn't a fan. On went 6.9's.

curtisbuhs

Reaction score
I have the 2012 Summit SP 800 with 146" track and I am playing with my suspension rates and limiter strap to get more ski lift on flat land. On my old 07 Rev 600 gade I let the strap all the way out and put my front shocks at the stiffest position along with the front shock in the rear skid. I also did a rear skid drop, but that was specific to the rev chassis. These mods made the sled wheelie everywhere and was a blast to ride. It wasn't too much up in the mountains either which was great. So I was wondering if anyone has any limiter strap settings for the XP chassis. Or should I just leave it at the stock position and just change shock settings? I'm 180lbs

xrsdoo

Reaction score
I was just in Revy with my 2012 154 and it worked well. Actually pretty good except for that sputter and hesitation on the trail up the mountain. And it did it once while up top when i was playing in the trees. I put 113 miles on it and am real happy with it. So there is a reflash for the etecs. I dropped it off at the dealer today and nothing was mentioned about that. Plus the knot on my recoil handle let go so make sure your knots are tight. Thank fully it was when we were back down at the parking lot and easy to load and fix.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just in Revy with my 2012 154 and it worked well. Actually pretty good except for that sputter and hesitation on the trail up the mountain. And it did it once while up top when i was playing in the trees. I put 113 miles on it and am real happy with it. So there is a reflash for the etecs. I dropped it off at the dealer today and nothing was mentioned about that. Plus the knot on my recoil handle let go so make sure your knots are tight. Thank fully it was when we were back down at the parking lot and easy to load and fix.

what can are you running

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

some etecs, especially the 2011's had a little low elevation protection in the mapping that tended to act up more than others. It hasn't been as bad in the 2012's. I experienced none in my 2012 compared to the 2011. I also left my sled completely stock for the first few rides.

There is no flash as far as I have heard, and there isn't a need for one. The hesitation is protecting the sled at low elevation. The Summit is "tuned" for higher elevation than other doo models.

Biggest thing not to do is add any airbox mods like was done on the pteks. These sleds have no mass airflow sensors and can not detect additional air. Testing is being done by multiple people though on certain mods to wake these sleds up.

Out of the box if leaving the sled stock, the only thing I think these sleds need is more pin weight so you can run on a higher clicker. Probably 2 grams.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some guys were getting 7800-7900 on clicker #1?
Right out of the box I was pulling consistent 7800 with the odd 7900 on #3.

Oh, and the sled is awesome, so glad I upgraded from my 09X. I thought the 09 was great till I got used to the 2012. Now I hate riding my 09, it feels like a pig, can't believe the difference.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20 pages and no major complaints...hmmm...and it isn't in the running of mountain sled of the year because the chassis is old. If something old performs better than something new, isn't it still better? :rolleyes:

Old or ahead of its time? as I see it others are just catching up, my rev seemed ok and my 2012 seems great so far minus the sputter at mid range on the trail. Not sure still doing it. Also had an engine light beep at me 2-3 times on the week end over a whole day, just shut off sled, restarted and it was gone anyone had this, It seemed like it happened when first started and at idle each time? Also I may have just got out of break in mode???

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Old or ahead of its time? as I see it others are just catching up, my rev seemed ok and my 2012 seems great so far minus the sputter at mid range on the trail. Not sure still doing it. Also had an engine light beep at me 2-3 times on the week end over a whole day, just shut off sled, restarted and it was gone anyone had this, It seemed like it happened when first started and at idle each time? Also I may have just got out of break in mode???

I had an intermitent light maybe 3-4 times, typically when riding slower through the trees during break in. I think the sled just loaded up. I ran the sled once when it came on to see if it was protecting itself, nope ran fine, so nothing was really wrong.

Everyone needs to remember these sleds are mapped. There is no mass air flow sensor. The map is going to work better at higher elevations.

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
Just got my Freeride back from martin for the intermittent check engine light we all seem to be getting. They say its a problem when the hi/lo headlight switch is turned slowly there's a voltage spike as the hi and low beam headlight are on at the same time, thus tripping the check engine light. Doo sent out a pcm re-calibration to fix this somehow, either way well see this weekend if it works in vale. No other problems though, and the clutches are almost cool to the touch so the infamous belt cover must be working. 218 km and there's 54% left on the break in, but if its got more power and better fuel/oil consumption after i'll be amazed because so far its got tons of power and gets ridiculous fuel economy.

spoulter

Reaction score
First ride on my 2012 Summit and it worked great. Bogs a bit under 3300 ft but other than that ran great. Clickers where set at 3 from the dealer and it was set perfectly. 7800-8000 rpm. Dealer told me it would burn 3L of oil per tank of fuel but it wasnt burning that much and went 100km one day still had fuel. What a difference from my 09 Summit.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
600+ kms and not much to report; the 10 hour check was flawless.

I won't know for sure until I take it in again but I'm thinking the Rev limiter(this will show up on the dealer's computer) was kicking while up around 8000'. We were riding double (ski trip double with 2 on the running boards) and near the end ready for the landing it was sputtering. Did that on 2 trips, so we ended up using the 2010.

Clicker 3 was set initially and I am on clicker 2 now. Haven't been into the same conditions and haven't had to use top rpm since I adjusted the clickers.

curtisbuhs

Reaction score
I have the 2012 Summit SP 800 with 146" track and I am playing with my suspension rates and limiter strap to get more ski lift on flat land. On my old 07 Rev 600 gade I let the strap all the way out and put my front shocks at the stiffest position along with the front shock in the rear skid. I also did a rear skid drop, but that was specific to the rev chassis. These mods made the sled wheelie everywhere and was a blast to ride. It wasn't too much up in the mountains either which was great. So I was wondering if anyone has any limiter strap settings for the XP chassis. Or should I just leave it at the stock position and just change shock settings? I'm 180lbs

Top Bottom