Any "First Ride" reports for a 2012 Summit E-tec?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris is not charging for frieght and pdi right now, that is their deal. (Likely incorporating into the price). But the price out the door on new ones are pretty good on the Poo's

Its what we call in the business.......buying market share.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have problems with clutching, I rode revy first ride of the year. I ran clicker #1 the whole time, I was obviously over reving down low.
I was expecting to at least run clicker 3-4 up top, but ran clicker #1 and was 7900-8000 dealer told me they would put heaver weights in.
I would have thought that same weights would go in all 2012 X 163's, seem fishy to me.
My buddy with X 154 was running clicker #3 up top, this seemed more reasonable to me.
Mine is an X 163.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.
I do ride around our lake and whitecourt often so i would be over reving down there all day.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine ran perfect on clicker #1 in Valemount its a mountain sled so I'm stoked to have so much room to adjust should the need arise. Not a big issue though, just throw a little weight in and you'll be fine at home. I've seen lots of identical sleds right out of the box that seem like two totally different machines

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have over 400 miles on my '12 154. At first I hadn't moved off clicker 1. Then the other day I found I had to go to 2 down in the airport with lots of deep fresh. Now with the new pipe/can I am over reving just a little on short pulls but on the bottomless pow we rode today it was spot on. I would still like to run just a little more pin weight and run on 3.

PowderChowder - also remember the gearing on the 163 is lower than the 154 so the results will be different. There is nothing fishy either. Everything from rider weight, to where you have the belt delfection set will change how the sled acts. Two identical sleds off the line can perform differently. You are comparing a 154 to a 163. Also is his 154 a 2012? or a 2011?

The stock gearing/clutching is okay. I still don't have enough engine breaking for my liking. So a helix change will likely be in the future. The clutch shifts out very well and very smooth. Full shift is achieved easily. I would be careful pushing this sled over 90mph as you might shift the belt right out of the primary. I've had mine come to 1/8" from the top. Thats a good shift. A little more pin weight and it might grab a little harder.

The pipe/can combo really woke up this motor over 7200-7300 Rpm. An easy feel it in the seat of your pants gain. Mid range is down a little though. Give and take.

Last edited:

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got out on mine, and so far love it. Never got a lot of miles onit but at this point happy with the handling ability of the narrowing front end. I am still in the break in mode so cant offer a whole lot mor to the conversation yet.

POWDERCHOWDER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else (or did I miss it earlier in the thread) notice a bog and even a backfire when on the way in at about 900m-1200m elevation? It seems to disappear above and below that range.
Sled's properly warmed up, and not driving nuts or anything.

Yes i did on the way up the mountain and down the the mountain....

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys have gas gauges that actually work? Mine shows 1/4 tank 2km after I fill it and then shows full again later then 1/4 tank at end of day and can only get 18 liters in it.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typical Doo fuel gauge. At some point it would be nice to have a clear site line or a float style guage but with the way filler tube is designed it won't happen.

I think a lot of the problems comes from the design of the tank. If you don't burp your tank when you fill the sled you are going to get weird readings as you ride.

I burp mine, it shows full for the first part of the ride, then drops a few bars by the end of the day. I've had it show near full at the end of the day and added over 30 litres.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typical Doo fuel gauge. At some point it would be nice to have a clear site line or a float style guage but with the way filler tube is designed it won't happen.

I think a lot of the problems comes from the design of the tank. If you don't burp your tank when you fill the sled you are going to get weird readings as you ride.

I burp mine, it shows full for the first part of the ride, then drops a few bars by the end of the day. I've had it show near full at the end of the day and added over 30 litres.
I will give the burp a try. Liked the old mechanical gauge on the 06 rev I have better. Oh, I also wish the bar and thumb heaters were controlled seperately like they are on the 09 xp we have. My thumb is on fire.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They need to fire the guy down east that thinks mountain riders want the snocross bars on the mountain sleds Bert...

I actually like the taper bars with the race controls. No more big stupid control block. I can move the RER and headlight button anywhere I want.

The hand warmer button on the console is okay, although I can't run a larger riser bag. I have yet to have my not so big stomach hit the RER button while riding like it did in the past. I know people who have broken the aluminum bars though. They should be stock chromoly or heck even carbon mountain bend bars.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks hokey to me and I like to have the ability to pick the heat I want for the bars and thumb.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa. Not a problem with the sled, just the bars. Guess what? Everyone has an opinion.Lol.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa. Not a problem with the sled, just the bars. Guess what? Everyone has an opinion.Lol.
I lke the bars and the sled is awsome. Just would like to have the seperate control for thumb and bar heat.

Sure glad I went with the black...Ed's white one wasn't lookin so white yesterday.

Top Bottom