Any "First Ride" reports for a 2012 Summit E-tec?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like BRP finally got the calibration on the money. Great to hear all the happy peeps!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like this sled is working well!!! and yeah the etec is awesome on fuel in revy last weekend my buddies m8 burned 26 litres of fuel I burned 20 and I had 15 km's more on mine then he did at the end gotta love what skidoo has done with the etecs

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like this sled is working well!!! and yeah the etec is awesome on fuel in revy last weekend my buddies m8 burned 26 litres of fuel I burned 20 and I had 15 km's more on mine then he did at the end gotta love what skidoo has done with the etecs

He might just have a heavier thumb? :)

No, its true, the etecs are good one fuel. We had a hard time running them empty last year.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahahahahaha me and him both got the same style thumb it's the toggle switch effect lol yeah its amazing how good the etec is on fuel I love it!

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think 19/51 (2.68) with 7 tooth avids should be low enough . But i guess you fellas will find out. I am only going to go 2.52 with 7 tooth avids at this time as the gearing was fine last year with the 2.5 and 8 tooth avids.
Cool clutchs and no belt problems.

I was thinking it would be geared too low. I know the general had an '08 geared like a 154'' that apparantly worked well. The '12 is not a comparable clutch set-up though.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out on my new 2012 163x in Revy this week and I have to say it is working real well. Clutching is crisp, track works great and the break-in is like a break-in should be.....not noticed. Good job BRP!

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out on my new 2012 163x in Revy this week and I have to say it is working real well. Clutching is crisp, track works great and the break-in is like a break-in should be.....not noticed. Good job BRP!

did you notice a bit of a stumble below say 3000ft Ken ? I've only had my 2012 in Golden and it worked flawless there.
I have been doing my callbacks on 2012's and have had a few guys say they felt a hesitation at lower altitude in Revy(my 2011 did this), but up higher the sled rocked.
I'll be going to Revy next weekend but I'm just wondering what "Yoda" thought ?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you notice a bit of a stumble below say 3000ft Ken ? I've only had my 2012 in Golden and it worked flawless there.
I have been doing my callbacks on 2012's and have had a few guys say they felt a hesitation at lower altitude in Revy(my 2011 did this), but up higher the sled rocked.

No stumble for me, rips all the way down to 500'.

Clutching isn't perfect, but best its been out of the crate!

steel town - make sure you have lots of 6.9's in stock, you should be able to sell guys on those very easily! DS push and plows stupidly bad.

Last edited:

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

steel town - make sure you have lots of 6.9's in stock, you should be able to sell guys on those very easily! DS push and plows stupidly bad.

I hate those skis too Dan, what have you heard about SLP powder pro's ?

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

got a box full of DJ e_tec kits on the way, ramps too...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

HaHa. Yoda? I still got a bit of color left in my hair Lucas. Lol. I felt a small hesitation like you are talking about to about the 4-5km mark going up the trail at Boulder but nothing like last year where it would stumble and backfire on occasion. Ran perfect up top at 7900 in clicker 3 and felt real strong. Are your guys running cans or single pipes? It would be nice to know if they have any thing to do with it or if the totally stock guys feel it as well. Have fun in Revy! Great early season conditions there already.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa. Yoda? I still got a bit of color left in my hair Lucas. Lol. I felt a small hesitation like you are talking about to about the 4-5km mark going up the trail at Boulder but nothing like last year where it would stumble and backfire on occasion. Ran perfect up top at 7900 in clicker 3 and felt real strong. Are your guys running cans or single pipes? It would be nice to know if they have any thing to do with it or if the totally stock guys feel it as well. Have fun in Revy! Great early season conditions there already.
Ok I'll call you Obi Wan then, lol. 90% of my customers left with a MBRP cans on their sled, as I ran one on my 2011 with zero issues it was the best I could reccomend, I have not sold or tried a twin pipe combo yet but that would be sweet.... last season my e-tec ran not all that great till I got up the trail in Revy,the hesitation was enough to almost throw you over the bars if you were given-er through trail whoops, good to hear that they solved it as Dana who told me about it during my call back said he felt exactly what you described., got rooms booked for Friday and saturday in Revy, my DJ clutch kit should be on the sled by then so I'll post my findings....
bbrrraaaapp

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate those skis too Dan, what have you heard about SLP powder pro's ?

I was almost going to get a set of SLP, but the SLT's. They are not as wide. I don't like wide skis on the XP, doesn't hold a line well when you are following someone elses track in a side hill. Haha I know make your own right? Sometimes you can't. I found the wide skis push out too much. I found some 6.9's though so they are going on likely later today. PP's are good for 4 strokes who are front heavy. Might work well on that new 900 ACE. :)

I think downfall of the DS is the wide keel. It doesn't bite when running fast on the trails in. Or atleast thats all I can come to a conclusion on. They plow quite a bit in deeper snow. I only had a few rides on them last year, after 100 miles this year I can't stand them. BRP should give the option of getting the 6.9's on snowchecks for guys in the future.

The stock clutching doesn't have a great backshift. I think with Joey's setup you will notice his is a little better in that area.

oh I forgot - let people know not to mod the airbox in any way on these sleds. Last year a few people tried it, and it works great on the powerteks, but due to the way the etec is mapped and no mass airflow its not going to work. Anytime I thought I felt hesitation on my sled I had to really figure out if it was the sled, or just my thumb letting off.

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First ride on my 12 etec up Owlhead yesterday.............:d:d:d This thing is going to be a lot of fun. Runs flawless.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont be startin any new skidoo rumors just yet... little early

haha early? Its never too early when they are out testing it. Don't think it will make the mid season release like many people think though. Too many issues.

R_janssen

Reaction score
I've been out 4 times on my 2012 Summit X 800 154" track. Sled is awesome and was all worth the money spent. I've got 110 miles on the sled now (and I'm not sure why it isn't in Km's). Sled climbs awesome and no hesitation on power. Just hard to tell if its broken in or not. Will it be noticable? My last ride was at Brohm Ridge on Sunday.

I've still got my clickers on number 1 (thats what the dealer set it at) and pulls great. All I have done for extras is an SLP can, not loud and sounds good when I get on the throttle.

Can't wait for a deep powder day to ride the sled. Hopefully get more snow soon to go riding on the Island so I don't have to travel to the mainland (not that I don't like riding over there).

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been out 4 times on my 2012 Summit X 800 154" track. Sled is awesome and was all worth the money spent. I've got 110 miles on the sled now (and I'm not sure why it isn't in Km's). Sled climbs awesome and no hesitation on power. Just hard to tell if its broken in or not. Will it be noticable? My last ride was at Brohm Ridge on Sunday.

I've still got my clickers on number 1 (thats what the dealer set it at) and pulls great. All I have done for extras is an SLP can, not loud and sounds good when I get on the throttle.

Can't wait for a deep powder day to ride the sled. Hopefully get more snow soon to go riding on the Island so I don't have to travel to the mainland (not that I don't like riding over there).

break in is 120 litres of fuel if I remeber corect? its in the manual,, should notice some gains.... I thought someone mentioned the gauge will tell you how much fuel has been burned or I am reading to much stuff on here lol,, maybe only on certain gauge's like the freeride but I cant remember but thats 3 full tanks of fuel so you proabaly have another ride yet before break in is done

as it goes for clicker one thats fine if you are getting constant 7900RPM at full throttle? if its only 7700 go up to #2 this will add 100-200RPMs and so on

I am sure the dealer can switch it to KM's there is defineatley a way Im just not sure....

Top Bottom