another GPS question

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there are is anyone on here that is realy good at using the topo gps maps. Is there any good sites to download someone elses tracks to snowmobile trails. Are is it possiable to share tracks and waypoints like that. If so maybe we could list tracks from past trips. Its all new to me so I am not sure how it all works.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a garmin GPS and if you use the mapsource software that comes with it you can simply save your data as a whatever filename and could email to someone else...they would need to have the same brand if gps though with the mapsource software (comes with the unit). The garmin software is pretty user friendly...the maps that came with it are complete shite but if you get topo canada they are decent. I have the 60 CSX and it is an amazing unit...I have been in some pretty desolate areas along the north coast and it always gives me a signal.
Here is an example map (attached pdf) I made at work...this data was emailed to me by the helicopter pilot and then I just uploaded it into mapsource and then into my handheld...took about 2mins. So for example if you had a garmin i could email you the gdb data file you would upload the data into your unit and you're good to go.
You can send track, waypoint or whatever kind of data your unit saves. Not sure about central sites but could probably set up something on a forum such as this and people could upload their data. I am not familiar with other brands but suspect all are similar.

Attachments

• South End Batchellor Lake Heli Pads.pdf
    94.3 KB · Views: 62

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply i have a magellan gps. I think I have figured it out a little bit still playing with the maps. It would be nice if we could start a page with gps waypoints. I hope there are more posts to this thread. even if you can't upload the data maybe we could list some of the trails we have and could trade map tracks through pm's. How do you like garmin does it handle the cold. my magellan screen gets cold and slow

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you would need to do is start a thread and save your gps file as an attachment then I think another user could save the file onto their computer then download it into their unit. Leave a description of the file in the post so someone general details of the data. It's a good idea for sure...we tried a few new areas this year where we knew you could get up but took most of the day trying to find the route - some points or a track would be slick.

Looks like the Garmin unit can open garmin data files, GPS eXchange (*.gpx), and LOC files. You would think they would be compatible but you never know. In your software program on the computer just go to file then open or save then check out the drop down menu for file types and should have a list.

I will attach a file in some different formats and see if you can get it into your unit.

Cold doesn't seem to bother it...I had it out where it was caked in snow and ice at work (just keep it in my vest pocket) and works ok (had to keep scraping ice from the screen)...didn't really notice if the screen was slow but wouldn't surprise me if it was. My screen is pretty scratched now but still can see through it.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually won't work to attach because the files are too big and/or not supported file type...I will pm you one to try.

Top Bottom