and you call yourself a firefighter?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any individual that his/her life on the line for little pay like most voluteer firfighters do deserve every bit of respect they get. I know friends of mine that go on calls and tell bits of what they have seen makes my skin crawl. They don't know excatly what they will see when they get there. SO WHAT a few bales burnt they can be replaced. Ask yourself what you might feel after doing there job, I know guys that had to meet with a minister or priest to try and live with what they do as a voluteer for us.

Shame on you

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like seriously.... my neighbors hay bales cought fire today and it took the fire dep. an hour to get their and when they got their do you think they had the slightest idea what to do???!!?!!!? the fire was burning about 150 bales and spreading to more. once the bale is burnt its done anyway, so instead of keeping the others from buring up they were waisting all the water on the buring bales then a guy was trying to tell them that the other bales were catching fire guys said "well i need to be over here", so he just took a hose and started spraying himself. then that went on and on. so while they were fooling around more and more bales were burning up. one thing they dont realize is those bales cost money, those bales feed the cow that feeds you, so why not save what you can and let burn what is already burning?

My father served as a volunteer firefighter until the day he died, close to 30yrs, received service medals form the government and put his life on the line to protect people and property. No questions asked. Its people like you that really disappoint me, maybe you would change your attitude if it hit a little closer to home. Try being thankful people are even willing to help.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think SNOWPUSHER needs to volunteer for his Fire Department and spend a little time as a mule on a fire hose in a real fire. He might change his mind.

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so it looks like I got my a$$ kicked here and I appoligize to ya'll, but farming is a really dangrous job to ya know...

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
If it was my bales I would got a tractor and started pushing the good bales outta there before they burnt let the FF soak down the good ones

A big times 2 ............... then I would gone after the burning ones with the tractor too ... a couple scoops of dirt helps put fires out ... just sayin. :confused:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Overall I respect firefighters and emergency service personel in general...

UNLESS....

They drive a pink razor and allow you to pass out on your picnic table....

THEN...

The wife won't believe it was his fault....

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is easy to be an armchair critic. I have been to many a bale fire. I cannot speak to what the FD in question did or did not do as I wasnt there. I do not know that depts level of training, experience, or equipment. I have seen fire halls in BC that were litterally a one truck weathered wood shack. Others are well equiped.
I also know that bale fires are particularly difficult to put out as water does not penatrate the bale it just runs off. Square bales need to be broken apart to extinguish. Round bales can be stood on end and water will soak through. The best way is to break them apart. (Square and round) Also it is best if possible to seperate the un-burnt bales from the ones that are burning. {One of the methods of extiguisment is to remove the fuel}
Also once a hay bale has "Smoke Damage" it is usless anyway as it cant be used for anything.

One of the things I get real tired of real quick is rate payers blaming the fire dept for their loss. Happens more than you think. I once attended a structure fire that the owners threatened to sue the FD for a "PERCEIVED" slow response that they thought contributed to their loss. In examination the phone call was recorded and time stamped as was all radio communication. It was proven that there was no delay in response. It was interesting that the investigation exposed that their DAUGHTER had tried to torch the house because she was pissed at her parents. Amazing how fast that suit got dropped once that tid bit became known.

How did the fire start in the first place?

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm not saying fire fighters are bad and I dont like them, I know their are some really good ones out their. Its just those guys that are wannabe fire fighters that are just doing it so they can say they are fire fighters that dont really care.

I do understand what your saying, they are told what to do and how to do it, but I would like to know, ok after things are organized why dont they keep the the good bales from burning instead of fighting with what is already gone?

so i'm a wannabe for being on a volunteer fire dept and search and rescue?? ya I actually care a lot and like what was posted above in previous posts you come out and try scrapping a dead body off the road or get called out at 2 am when you need to be at your actual job at 7 real sweet! we do what we can to try and control the situation yes some of us Volunteers arent as trained as the full time guys but hey were out there risking our lifes to save your haybales give the firefighters and the volunteers a break if you wanted it down differently then you get out there with your garden hose and put the bales out!!!!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Overall I respect firefighters and emergency service personel in general...

UNLESS....

They drive a pink razor and allow you to pass out on your picnic table....

THEN...

The wife won't believe it was his fault....

I am saying bad ice.......was I driving?????????????

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been a volunteer firefighter for 6yrs and I love when people say that some are wanna be's . Is a fire or car accident different out in the country than it is in the city .. of course not. Feel sorry for you and your poor attitude toward people that are helping you while taking time away from their family & friends . Pathetic

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was a Volunteer Firefighter for 2 years prior to getting on with the Edmonton Fire Dept for the past 15 years. Volunteer FF's are NOT wanna-be's! They are FF's who volunteer their personal time for the safety and well-being of their community. Every week or two weeks they volunteer an evening to head down to the hall for training or to go through and do safety checks on their trucks and equipment. They do not get compensated for this time -- only when the bell rings do they get paid. I spent many weekends when I volunteered doing live burns or other training to raise my knowledge and awareness on any aspect of my volunteer job to help my (your) community. It also sucked on a hot 30 degree day not to be able to have a cold beer because I was carrying the pager for that week.

Bail fires, as simple as they sound, are a pain in the butt! You have to have heavy equipment (and owners who don't mind having their equipment heat blistered!) to spread out the burnt and unburnt bails. Then you need to soak everything down with foam and water. It requires gallons of foam and water which is a high commodity when you're shuttling water with tankers because there aren't any hydrants on your farm!

The long and short of it... please thank the people that saved as many bails as they possibly could with all the available resources they had to work with. My hat goes off to all my fellow volunteer Firefighters for keeping our rural areas safe.

AND I DO CALL MYSELF A FIREFIGHTER...

Cheers :beer::beer:

Ron

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I was a Volunteer Firefighter for 2 years prior to getting on with the Edmonton Fire Dept for the past 15 years. Volunteer FF's are NOT wanna-be's! They are FF's who volunteer their personal time for the safety and well-being of their community. Every week or two weeks they volunteer an evening to head down to the hall for training or to go through and do safety checks on their trucks and equipment. They do not get compensated for this time -- only when the bell rings do they get paid. I spent many weekends when I volunteered doing live burns or other training to raise my knowledge and awareness on any aspect of my volunteer job to help my (your) community. It also sucked on a hot 30 degree day not to be able to have a cold beer because I was carrying the pager for that week.

Bail fires, as simple as they sound, are a pain in the butt! You have to have heavy equipment (and owners who don't mind having their equipment heat blistered!) to spread out the burnt and unburnt bails. Then you need to soak everything down with foam and water. It requires gallons of foam and water which is a high commodity when you're shuttling water with tankers because there aren't any hydrants on your farm!

The long and short of it... please thank the people that saved as many bails as they possibly could with all the available resources they had to work with. My hat goes off to all my fellow volunteer Firefighters for keeping our rural areas safe.

AND I DO CALL MYSELF A FIREFIGHTER...

Cheers :beer::beer:

Ron
Well said!!

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been in the fire service for 27 years and I have to make a couple of comments. No matter how good of a job the firefighters do, professional or Volunteer, there are always those that just have to criticize. Not sure why, they just always do! Secondly, the majority of the general public has little to no idea what a firefighter experiences during his/her career....emotionally, physically or otherwise. I'm not just saying this because of what I do, but try to show a little appreciation for those men and women who have taken on the roll of protecting their neighbours and their property. They're not Heros, they're people just like you.:beer:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The farmer would probably let the bales burn if they had to pay for the foam to put them out!!!

Top Bottom