An observation from Edmonton...avy packs

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a great time at the Edmonton show. Thanks to those who came by to say hi! I enjoyed meeting and talking to many of you there. The show was busy and the vibe was great.

I noticed a lot of people walking around with new AFD's (Avalanche flotation devices) on their backs. I was stoked to see this but I was curious to see how many of them had taken an avalanche course. I decided to ask everyone that came by the Yamaha booth with a new Avy Pack.

I was surprised to hear that most of them had not engaged in any sort of avalanche safety training. I strongly encouraged all of them to take an AST1 or at least a Companion Rescue Skills course.

I wear my Snowpulse everyday I ride. I look at it as an extra life insurance plan in the event I make a mistake. In Canada they say the AFD can increase your chances of survival by 25%. The AFD is a last resort effort and shouldn't give anyone any more confidence in the backcountry.

I hope to never make the mistake that puts me in danger of being buried in another avalanche. I was buried and brought back to life in 1996. That day changed my outlook on avalanches and life forever. Since then I have made it my goal to help spread the importance of avalanche training to ALL sledders (and all backcountry users for that matter). I have been involved in a couple rescues and now teach AST1 and Companion Rescue Skills courses when I can.

I encourage everyone to wear an AFD but please make sure you take a field avalanche course like the AST1 so you can have the knowledge you need to never have to pull that handle :)

Like Curtis said...join and support the CAC. Help spread the word. It WILL save some lives.

Cheers,
Chris

www.ridewithchrisbrown.com

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352323938.657295.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352323938.657295.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 368
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352323976.663557.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352323976.663557.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 368

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Ditto, as snowmobilers we travel so fast that we need to surround ourselves with well educated riders. Uneducated riders react, educated riders respond. Reactions happen when we don`t see any other options, responses are possible to those that have invested in training and practice. There are many advantages to being a snowmobiler in avalanche terrain, but there are also disadvantages. As Chris has already mentioned AST training is super important for all backcountry users no matter how much riding experience we have or safety and rescue gear we carry.
Bags and tranceivers can`t save us in every situation and we need to remember the real goal is to not get caught in the 1st place.

Check out the CAC website for a course near you. Consider upgrading if it has been awhile, tools and procedures have changed. Get the latest info, the life you save could be your own.
Sled : Community : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

Zac`s has classes coming up in Calgary, Edmonton, Fernie, Ft. Mac., Ft. St. John, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, Lloydminster, McBride, Myrnam, Red Deer, Regina, Saskatoon, Tumbler Ridge, Valemount, Whitecourt and Yorkton. Whew!!!!

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great posts ! The message is getting out there slowly but surely.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every yr the doo and yamaha dealers here offer a free basic level course. Its amazing that they offer the basic for free. So whats stopping you ppl from showing up?

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jbb, those courses are a great way to get people interested in being safe in the bckcountry. I think the idea behind those is to get the participants to sign up for a more in depth course after. The more people that go to those free ones the more we will hopefully see engaging in the AST1 and Companion Rescue Skills courses.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jbb, those courses are a great way to get people interested in being safe in the bckcountry. I think the idea behind those is to get the participants to sign up for a more in depth course after. The more people that go to those free ones the more we will hopefully see engaging in the AST1 and Companion Rescue Skills courses.

i know the course they offer isnt the same. but even a 2hr basic course is something. and at the free price. ppl have no excuse not to have the basic knowledge of the backcountry and learn basic signs of what to watch out for. props to doo and yamaha for their efforts in promoting safety. now if cat and polaris would only do the same. just sayin.....

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It worked to get myself and 2 other guys to into a more advanced coarse in Lloydminster

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is funny how many people think if they get bag they are good to go and it will be all they need.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will be hosting hangfire training at Boundary RV & Marine on the evening of November 13th for a AST 1 classroom session. See there website if you would like to book.

Top Bottom