alternatives for overstructure

go big

Reaction score
one side the glue came out on the carbon fiber over structure, the other side is broken. anyone try aluminum or steel?

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The standard RMKs don't have carbon fibre, you could go with that. I can't remember if they are aluminum or steel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the aluminum one on my 13 pro. Just make sure you order one off of a standard rmk, or a pre 2013 pro, (mine was ordered for a 12 pro) and not one for a switchback assault as the sba has a totally different angle to accomidate the different steering post location. I can't say if the assaults would be the same or not, so just be sure of what you order.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I took mine out of the sled and pulled the broken carbon fibre pieces out of the end. I then cleaned out the glue by heating it and finished with a dremmel to clean it up. After some measuring I figured that with a bit of time invested i could put aluminum pipe in myself so I went to my local steel shop and bought a 8 foot piece. The diameter was slightly larger than the carbon fibre so with some grinding and sanding it fit tight as a glove. I then riveted it in and now it is much better than the carbon fibre with very little weight gain. I think my piece of alum cost me 50 bucks. I have a season on it so far with no issues.

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be able to make something up like Catman did. It's just round pipe.
FWIW, my 2015 "std" has aluminum pipe in there. I suppose it would bend before breaking if it ever got that far.
I did notice that the aluminum is also glued into the end pieces, but using nuts/bolts should not be an issue.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't say it is impossible or even really all that tuff of a job. What I will say is that the money saved I feel would be burnt up in my time. The part can be at Cycle Works in 3-4 days for $264. When I look at it as I would be spending $50 ish on materials, plus lord adheisive (to be done right) $100 ish a tube + mixing kit which I can't even remember the price of... But not cheap, and then even just 2-3 hours of my time I am already loosing money. Sure you could try to use nuts and bolts, but I am sure you would find a ton of movement in it once put back into service. There is many ways to skin a cat.... So completely your call.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was in revy for a number of days and had mine pull apart I would start widdleing too..... From my perspective I was thinking about a full time basis. For all intensive purposes you wouldn't even have to take it apart, zip tie some 2"x2" pieces of wood in place and ride the thing lol.... Buuuut if It were in the heated shop at home where wifi, telephone, and beer are all readily accessible I would just be spending a few bucks.

go big

Reaction score
$7 of aluminum tubing for both sides. Don't think I'll have to ever worry about it now.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The aluminum over structures don't break at the tubing/tubing ends, they break at the steering mounting plate at the top. Just an fyi.

I bought my 11 pro for just this reason, wanted the stronger aluminum over structure. The carbon fibre structures at the time were not doing the best for longevity.

I had to replace mine (rode it out of the mountains with the steering plate broken on both sides, was interesting) and still went with the aluminum.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a plate you can buy that reinforces the cast mounting bracket at the top.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an over structure to sell? My son broke the bumper mount tab off his.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's part of the bulkhead, just buy a b&m bumper. It mounts different. I have a black one I'll sell $120 shipped

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's part of the bulkhead, just buy a b&m bumper. It mounts different. I have a black one I'll sell $120 shipped

that is not part of the bulkhead. That is the top of the rear portion of the over structure. No bumper is going to rectify this.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No brace will rectify it either, change out required.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grinder- I don't think the brace will stop that, I would have to find a pic of the brace again though to be sure. I looked into it a few years ago but it wasn't what I needed, had to swap my over structure out also.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Top Bottom