Allison Tranny Acting Up... Help?!?

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey All

Running a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

So I think my tranny is freezing/slipping ? Any ideas/direction/help would be appreciated!

Its been around -20 up here, the truck was parked outside and didnt move or run for 2 days. Not plugged in. Came home, command started, ran for 20min, went out to leave. The engine light is on and when I tried putting the truck in reverse, no go. The line just fashes below the 'R' symbol and it wont engage. Neutral - Fine, Drive - you hear it clunk per say when it engages. Tried moving the shifter through the the range a few times, still no reverse. Put it in neutral, let it run there for another 5-10min hoping it would circulate and warm up some fluid. Still no go. (I was parked on street behind a car, hence the reverse need) Boyfriend gets home, we roll the truck back about a foot in neutral, and I have enough space to get out if wheels cranked. The truck doesnt start rolling until approx 2200rpm ! Another major concern. I get rolling and as I drive down the street gaining speed my rpm wont fall. Does at the stop sign then doesnt start rolling again until around 2000rpm. A few blocks away I pull over, shut it down, restart it, no change. I did this twice on my way home. I live approx 10min away from where I was, and on the main roads the rpms wouldnt relax until >60km/hr. then she'd go 1200-1700. Get it home, and still no reverse. After i'm halfway home I think to look at my tranny temp (duh dumb to only think of that now, i know) its 47. By time i get home its 60. I didn't have the codereader at home, so i never pulled the engine codes BUT i'm pretty sure I know what they are...

This happened to me once last year, it sat outside in -30's for 3 days no starts no moving. I got to grocery store about 10 min away, no reverse, but my rpm engagement was nearly normal again. Get my stuff come back out and it worked and ran fine. Went home parked it in the garage pulled codes, cleared em, and it never did it again. Codes were solenoids failing to come on. It was as if the truck was trying to turn them all on at once. I dont know word for word but it was essentially; solenoid A1 failure to turn on, solenoid B1 , C1, D1. Thought perhaps the 3 days in minus 30's, this might be a somewhat just response from the truck. It clearing up within the hour made me think it probably wasnt too big of a deal.

And so I ask, WTH is going on with my truck :( It's usually parked in the garage all winter, left out for a night here and there. Are there different tranny fluids like oils that it may be the wrong weight and gumming? I picked up the truck in salt lake city utah, so it never seen much cold before I brought it here summer 2010. Possible there's moisture locked in there? A friend I talked to last night just said 'oh ya thats a common problem with the allison tranny, they freeze' .. umm what? never heard of that before!

TIA

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy has an 09 there junk his tranny crapped out twice should of kept your old truck just saying

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will check tranny fluid when I get home tonight, didn't have a chance to check posts when I got home last night :/ sorry.
Dumb question but what does 'normal' tranny fluid smell like? Or are you meaning just not a burnt smell??

Oh dont tell me that :s I really like my diesel haha and the truck! Its nicer than the last one which was also gas.

Has anyone heard about a tranny upgrade? A friend of mine said the 09's were known for burning up there tranny's and there was a computer programming upgrade for them?? When I brought the truck across in summer '10 my recall clearance letter never mentioned it, required nor done.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tranny shop here tested my tranny and it's still near perfect, cost me $150. They can test converter, solenoids, etc. Is there not a good shop in in the hood, or can you wip it down to clutch and grab?

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know H&S has a TCM tune for the cummins so maybe check them out to see if they can help you. Real stand up guys and awesome products. H&S performance

z400

Reaction score
check out duramax forums its an awsome site the guys on there are realy helpful info on anythins and everything duramax and allison related

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what we have for shops in town that i'd trust, or could do the job. Especially on short notice. $150 would be worth having the checkup done though. I'll check the dmax forums as well.

The hard part about bringing it somewhere is that the problem doesnt persist. I went to put it in the garage last night as when its warm the truck is fine. Started it up, all good, reverse, rpms etc. Sat outside since I got it home the night before while it was acting up.

I've heard good things about the H&S tune, i've just been holding off tuning because I didnt wanna blow my motor and tranny warranty. And until I sort this issue out i'm probably better off not to.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what we have for shops in town that i'd trust, or could do the job. Especially on short notice. $150 would be worth having the checkup done though. I'll check the dmax forums as well.

The hard part about bringing it somewhere is that the problem doesnt persist. I went to put it in the garage last night as when its warm the truck is fine. Started it up, all good, reverse, rpms etc. Sat outside since I got it home the night before while it was acting up.

I've heard good things about the H&S tune, i've just been holding off tuning because I didnt wanna blow my motor and tranny warranty. And until I sort this issue out i'm probably better off not to.

if you have motor and tranny warranty, bring it to the dealer.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shoot Summitric a PM, and I'll try to find you his phone # for Monday when his shop is open.
Tranny fluid should be nice and redish pink, and shouldn't have really any smell to it.
If it is slipping, you'll see a little brown, and it may have a burned smell.
You can check all of this while it's at home, and try to let her warm up a bit.
I would also check it when it's cold too.

Last edited:

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and lose the truck for a month and probably get charged because they 'didnt encounter the problem' while they had it. hoping it wont be 9pm on a friday next time it happens so i can drive it to the dealer and show them exactly whats wrong. but its slowly heading that way. ill check the fluid and pull the codes tonight. When I get days off on wednesday I'll go try talking to someone at the dealer about it.

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
and lose the truck for a month and probably get charged because they 'didnt encounter the problem' while they had it. hoping it wont be 9pm on a friday next time it happens so i can drive it to the dealer and show them exactly whats wrong. but its slowly heading that way. ill check the fluid and pull the codes tonight if i can get the reader from dad.

Check with your dealer, I have known some in the past to send a tech out and get the truck so they can evaluate the problem as it's first thing in the morning when it usually occurs. Pulling the codes will also help, pretty much all GM will do with their younger tech's.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our dealers too busy for that. if i bought the truck from them maybe, but even then i highly doubt it. theyd tell me to call a tow truck and get it sent down.

umm should be covered. I had a heater/fan issue last winter and they ended up replacing my entire fuse box on warranty. they just have to do a changeover from us to ca in there system or something.

Just spoke with dad and when this happened in the spring it was solenoids A-D Stuck On.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This happened to me last winter in my 2008, I had just washed it than it sat for a couple days and did exactly what you described. All it was, was water/condensation in the solenoids preventing them from changing state. They just need a good drying and then should be good to go, at least mine was anyway. I just stuck it in a heated shop over night. Cheers.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This happened to me last winter in my 2008, I had just washed it than it sat for a couple days and did exactly what you described. All it was, was water/condensation in the solenoids preventing them from changing state. They just need a good drying and then should be good to go, at least mine was anyway. I just stuck it in a heated shop over night. Cheers.

Thanks! Hope that's all it is. I had washed it the day before I parked it, but the roads were wet and filthy so the truck was dirty again. Perhaps the combination was enough to do it, as when we started back to work is when it got cold. I dont recollect washing or not washing when this happened in the spring though. Did you pull your codes or anything to see what it said?

Top Bottom