Alberta Sticker License Plates for OHVs?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. It's an apples to apples comparison, a snowmobile is an OHV, as are quads and side by sides. Sleds must have mounted license plates to comply with the act. Creating a decal to resemble a license plate is another separate offense.

If a peace officer chooses not to issue a ticket for the above that is a judgement call on their part, but has no bearing on the legality of a "license plate decal" or the proper mounting of the actual license plate.

Licence plates 18
(1) The Registrar must issue an off-highway licence plate for an off-highway vehicle if the Registrar issues a certificate of registration for the off-highway vehicle.
(2) The Registrar must issue off-highway vehicle licence plates in the number and of the type and colour approved by the Minister.
(3) The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licence plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the off-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.

Condition of plates 19
No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the licence plate is not securely attached, legible and clearly visible to other drivers at all times.

Prohibited display 20
A person who owns or drives an off-highway vehicle for which an off-highway vehicle licence plate has been issued shall not display on the off-highway vehicle any other plate or device bearing numbers or letters or both that are identical to or have the general appearance of a licence plate.

117(a): “off-highway vehicle” means any motorized mode of transportation built for cross country travel on land, water, snow, ice or marsh or swamp land or on other natural terrain and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes, when specifically designed for such travel
a) 4-wheel drive vehicles
b) low pressure tire vehicles
c) motorcycles and related 2-wheel vehicles
d) amphibious vehicles
e) all-terrain vehicles
f) miniature motor vehicles
g) snow vehicles
h) minibikes, and
i) any other means of transportation that is propelled by any power other then muscular or wind (but does not include motor boats)

https://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_319.pdf
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf
Which minister in alberta would this fall under?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1.2 million saved by not making stickers, those little buggers are expensive, some contractor just went crap.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what the law is, and I was referring to a boats seadoos etc, they have no place for a plate, but get to used a decal.
Snowmobiles have no place for a plate to be installed, and where can it be securely attached.

You didn’t have a argument for not having a plate on your RZR.

Motor boats fall under federal jurisdiction, as such the feds issue a registration number and it is up to the owner to apply this number to the craft according to the federal rules. But this is outside the scope of this thread as motorized watercraft are not OHV's, nor do they have licence plates.

Since you also referred to sleds on your previous post they do require a plate, not a look-a-like sticker. On my sled my plate is attached to the gas rack facing rear. Some attach to the the snow flap.

What argument should I have? It's illegal to not have it displayed, I at one point was like many on this thread that believed it wasn't required to be displayed, I paid the price.

At the end of the day people are free to do what they want, my fine was under $100, it took 10 years of keeping the plate in the trunk or glove box before I got caught and learned the hard way.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obviously this isn't in your province...may or may not work?
Ontario issues two decal license plates, one for each side [two inch numbers].
This one I started to remove along with a bunch of trail pass decals... cause it looked like sh!t.

031.jpg

Most sled owners never put them on, as mentioned above they head to a sign shop and have some custom lettering done to match their sled colours. I've probably done 45-50 sleds.
As long as they're close to the proper height and easy to read I never heard of anyone getting a ticket [here]. Cops will grab you here without any registration visible [in a bag etc.]
Hoods and side panels are odd shapes now a days and the license decals they provide probably wouldn't fit on the hood anyway. Can also be made with reflective vinyl if needed.

037.jpg

Same deal goes for Jet Skis and boats here as well....a lot of custom numbers.

ATV's and SxS's run small aluminum plates like motor cycles

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder how the stickers would last over time with repeated washing.....fine for a seadoo or sled but not so much for an atv.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Personally I like the alum plate. I’ll hog the holes in it out or drill extra holes in it to match fasteners on a quad. I can take it off and transfer the plate to a new machine if I sell, and I think they’ll just plain outlast a sticker as far as legibility.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I like the alum plate. I’ll hog the holes in it out or drill extra holes in it to match fasteners on a quad. I can take it off and transfer the plate to a new machine if I sell, and I think they’ll just plain outlast a sticker as far as legibility.

I agree. Wouldn’t hurt to maybe make it a little smaller but they definitely last on an atv.

Top Bottom