Alberta Sticker License Plates for OHVs?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone is talking to the province can they see if we can switch to a sticker for a license plate instead of an aluminum one.

They are currently redoing the vechile ones so they may be willing to listen this time.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will take the 1.5 and piss it away and increase our rates again like the 7 million they spent on the Lethbridge injection site and no one can account for the money and where it was spent the ceo made over 350,000 and they have no records of how many staff they paid

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I have been doing for a couple years is. I take a picture of my plate then get a decal shop to make me a sticker. I keep the original plate in my tunnel bag. No drilling or mounting problem. P.S make it 4x7 to pass BC laws. I have never had a problem

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also back left side on a sled. Number plate or left front fork on snowbike. FYI

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I have been doing for a couple years is. I take a picture of my plate then get a decal shop to make me a sticker. I keep the original plate in my tunnel bag. No drilling or mounting problem. P.S make it 4x7 to pass BC laws. I have never had a problem

I'm not sure this is legal? Have you been stopped with this?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've never mounted plates and never had any issues, BC or Alberta.... I use clear packing tape to attach the registration and insurance to the back of the plate protecting them from moisture. I carry the plate for each machine in the tunnel bag so the plate/reg/insurance is always with the machine no matter which one I'm riding.

I've been checked numerous times in both provinces, last year at Clemina up in Bowers and at multiple poker rallies, RC's, Conservation and Bylaw have all told me this method is acceptable - the only concern brought up to me was the fact that if the sled is stolen they not only have the plate but they have the reg/insurance as well.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never mounted plates and never had any issues, BC or Alberta.... I use clear packing tape to attach the registration and insurance to the back of the plate protecting them from moisture. I carry the plate for each machine in the tunnel bag so the plate/reg/insurance is always with the machine no matter which one I'm riding.

I've been checked numerous times in both provinces, last year at Clemina up in Bowers and at multiple poker rallies, RC's, Conservation and Bylaw have all told me this method is acceptable - the only concern brought up to me was the fact that if the sled is stolen they not only have the plate but they have the reg/insurance as well.

I think a lot is attitude. If you are polite with showing them the plate and papers. They are usually good with it.
I havent had any issues either. Pull it out show it to them. Ask how their day is going. Bs a little and away I go.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason they are going with a new reflective plate for our vehicles is so they can spy on us . They also want to understand where we are going and our patterns of movement. Of course so they can better read your plate to give you photo radar and other tickets. Also from understanding your will have to pay for the plate with your hard owned money. You can also opt out of the new plate( Which I will do ) and run your old plates but you will not longer get new stickers for your old plate. the Big guys is always watching Right !

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never had a problem. I asked the cops about it several times and they all said it was fine. They just want to see your at a quick glance your machine is registered. It's way better then a stupid metal plate.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not put a plate on my sled for over 20 years, I have never been ticketed, but I have been questioned about it in different provinces.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think a lot is attitude. If you are polite with showing them the plate and papers. They are usually good with it.
I havent had any issues either. Pull it out show it to them. Ask how their day is going. Bs a little and away I go.
Offer them a beer?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This actually isn't the way the law is written, the plate must be displayed, otherwise it is a ticketable offense.

I got one a couple years ago for this, conservation officer must have been having a bad day, 2 of us got tickets for not having our plates displayed on our RZR's.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This actually isn't the way the law is written, the plate must be displayed, otherwise it is a ticketable offense.

I got one a couple years ago for this, conservation officer must have been having a bad day, 2 of us got tickets for not having our plates displayed on our RZR's.

Apples to oranges comparison im afraid. A sxs and quad have a place to put it.

Boats and snowmobiles do not, and one gets to use decals for its regy.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is legal? Have you been stopped with this?

I actually scanned mine and laminated it this year chuck it on with some masking tape. No great place to to throw those plates on side of footwell get kicked on back of sled with doos cooler doesn’t work either.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apples to oranges comparison im afraid. A sxs and quad have a place to put it.

Boats and snowmobiles do not, and one gets to use decals for its regy.

No. It's an apples to apples comparison, a snowmobile is an OHV, as are quads and side by sides. Sleds must have mounted license plates to comply with the act. Creating a decal to resemble a license plate is another separate offense.

If a peace officer chooses not to issue a ticket for the above that is a judgement call on their part, but has no bearing on the legality of a "license plate decal" or the proper mounting of the actual license plate.

Licence plates 18
(1) The Registrar must issue an off-highway licence plate for an off-highway vehicle if the Registrar issues a certificate of registration for the off-highway vehicle.
(2) The Registrar must issue off-highway vehicle licence plates in the number and of the type and colour approved by the Minister.
(3) The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licence plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the off-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.

Condition of plates 19
No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the licence plate is not securely attached, legible and clearly visible to other drivers at all times.

Prohibited display 20
A person who owns or drives an off-highway vehicle for which an off-highway vehicle licence plate has been issued shall not display on the off-highway vehicle any other plate or device bearing numbers or letters or both that are identical to or have the general appearance of a licence plate.

117(a): “off-highway vehicle” means any motorized mode of transportation built for cross country travel on land, water, snow, ice or marsh or swamp land or on other natural terrain and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes, when specifically designed for such travel
a) 4-wheel drive vehicles
b) low pressure tire vehicles
c) motorcycles and related 2-wheel vehicles
d) amphibious vehicles
e) all-terrain vehicles
f) miniature motor vehicles
g) snow vehicles
h) minibikes, and
i) any other means of transportation that is propelled by any power other then muscular or wind (but does not include motor boats)

https://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_319.pdf
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. It's an apples to apples comparison, a snowmobile is an OHV, as are quads and side by sides. Sleds must have mounted license plates to comply with the act. Creating a decal to resemble a license plate is another separate offense.

If a peace officer chooses not to issue a ticket for the above that is a judgement call on their part, but has no bearing on the legality of a "license plate decal" or the proper mounting of the actual license plate.

Licence plates 18
(1) The Registrar must issue an off-highway licence plate for an off-highway vehicle if the Registrar issues a certificate of registration for the off-highway vehicle.
(2) The Registrar must issue off-highway vehicle licence plates in the number and of the type and colour approved by the Minister.
(3) The owner of an off-highway vehicle must attach the licence plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the off-highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.

Condition of plates 19
No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the licence plate is not securely attached, legible and clearly visible to other drivers at all times.

Prohibited display 20
A person who owns or drives an off-highway vehicle for which an off-highway vehicle licence plate has been issued shall not display on the off-highway vehicle any other plate or device bearing numbers or letters or both that are identical to or have the general appearance of a licence plate.

117(a): “off-highway vehicle” means any motorized mode of transportation built for cross country travel on land, water, snow, ice or marsh or swamp land or on other natural terrain and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes, when specifically designed for such travel
a) 4-wheel drive vehicles
b) low pressure tire vehicles
c) motorcycles and related 2-wheel vehicles
d) amphibious vehicles
e) all-terrain vehicles
f) miniature motor vehicles
g) snow vehicles
h) minibikes, and
i) any other means of transportation that is propelled by any power other then muscular or wind (but does not include motor boats)

https://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_319.pdf
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf

I know what the law is, and I was referring to a boats seadoos etc, they have no place for a plate, but get to used a decal.
Snowmobiles have no place for a plate to be installed, and where can it be securely attached.

You didn’t have a argument for not having a plate on your RZR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom