Alberta Registration/insurance question

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode out there when I used to live in Grande Cache,, It was pretty awesome. You should have fun,, and i wouldn't bother insuring if your only out there for one day.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are getting ugly out there up to $2500 for no innsurance plus towing
a inpound charges .their all was the old saying catch me if can!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all depends if your feeling lucky or not, hmm $2500 fine and still no insurance or buy the insurance and have no problem and if anything goes south you have insurance. no brainer, get the insurance or stay home.

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Not 100% about the Hinton area,,,, but if your bike is insured under your home and have a printed proof of this and have proof of who you are you can ride in clearwater county,,,,,, I bring in people from BC and Sask. and was told this is good for here from head of SRD here. He also said not everyone knows this so the person who is asking for the proof whould need to be told to talk to him here.... whether this is the same there???? Call SRD in hinton and talk to someone in charge they will tell you exactly what you need. leave out what day and exact place so they dont wait for you, but upfront gets you a long way rather than hidding and running.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to come from BC with my dirtbike to ride the Brule Dunes, do I need to insure my bike just to come and ride for one day?

Proof of ownership, proof of where you live, If you live in BC, Registation in Alberta is not needed for the first 30 days, but after that regisration is required for Alberta. Under the Alberta Saftey Act Insurance is manatory, if you were to be involved in a accident without it you could be up the creek for the rest of your life," Law suits." and there has been accidents and deaths out there. If you ride on BC Forest Service Roads, insurance is needed as well.:rolleyes: Check out what Safari Guy posted, and your own home insurance company to see if you are covered for a collision on your home policy, I dout it verry much that you would be.:eek:

Bruce.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:):)Yup insurance would be wise.:):)
To many poeple out there. Buddy went to a quad rally no insurance, guess what he was hit by an intoxicated driver and was latter sued cause he had no insurance,other guy quad was a write-off and the guy was injured. Coverage is to save your butt.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy is from BC and lives here to work and rides all the time, I think he mentioned that they have just recently changed the law in BC but I believe before you did not have to insure or register ATV's, and if he got caught out here with none he could prove that he was from BC and here in Alberta they couldn't do anything about it. However I think it just changed in BC that now you must have insurance/registration so I would get it.

gusto

Reaction score
My buddy is from BC and lives here to work and rides all the time, I think he mentioned that they have just recently changed the law in BC but I believe before you did not have to insure or register ATV's, and if he got caught out here with none he could prove that he was from BC and here in Alberta they couldn't do anything about it. However I think it just changed in BC that now you must have insurance/registration so I would get it.
I was just at the insurance office and was told that you still cannot register a atv or utv in B.C. till next Nov. liability insurance is manditory though.. What I worry about is when we are able to register, is it going to be a cash grab and charge everybody PST on there origional bill of sale, that would suck...

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just at the insurance office and was told that you still cannot register a atv or utv in B.C. till next Nov. liability insurance is manditory though.. What I worry about is when we are able to register, is it going to be a cash grab and charge everybody PST on there origional bill of sale, that would suck...

Ahh ok, maybe some slight confusion then because my buddy from BC told me they changed it in BC but maybe he misunderstood that it isn't instilled until later on

gusto

Reaction score
B.C. laws regarding atv's are confusing most people LadyDirt, even our own CO's .... I was stopped the other day by a CO and he told us that we could not even drive on the road that we were on because it was a public road, that sounds like a load of crap to me because the road is leased to Tolko... How can the GVT. lease a public road? :rolleyes:

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what we have been told, bike must have liability insurance, you must be able to prove you own the bike and proof of who you are. I bought my bike out of Alberta and because you still can't register it in B.C. (soon) I have to pack around a hand writen bill of sale with my proof of insurance. It makes a lot of sence that I can insure the bike, but I can't register it in my own name.

I also belive that if stopped you had better have working head and tail lights, in B.C. that isn't neccesary.

A buddy sent me a letter from some government agency that explaines everything, and he was told to carry a copy of it to show the enforcement officer if you are stopped.

I will look for the letter and post it here if I find it.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MtnMaster.

I just got back from an Insurance Search on the quads.ca forum, and this is what is posted. ON A BC FOREST SEVICE ROAD USE REGULATION, BC REG.70/2004.
The fine for, use of a Forest Service Road in BC without required insurance is $300.00 + a $45.00 Victim Surcharge Levy. So if you are riding on Forest Service Roads :eek: in BC you should allready have the required insurance to ride in Alberta.:rolleyes: Play it safe, Registration is comming.

Bruce.:cool:

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is what we have been told, bike must have liability insurance, you must be able to prove you own the bike and proof of who you are. I bought my bike out of alberta and because you still can't register it in b.c. (soon) i have to pack around a hand writen bill of sale with my proof of insurance. It makes a lot of sence that i can insure the bike, but i can't register it in my own name.

I also belive that if stopped you had better have working head and tail lights, in b.c. That isn't neccesary.

A buddy sent me a letter from some government agency that explaines everything, and he was told to carry a copy of it to show the enforcement officer if you are stopped.

i will look for the letter and post it here if i find it.

bike letter.jpg

Thanks Thunderr!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that was maybe valid in 2001, 9 years ago, i think you may not find the policeman not so amused, maybe get an update or something a little more recent or you may have to spend a day or 2 in the court house.

i think you will get a few laughs when you show your paper, may even a few more at the court house. may work may not, just don't like your odds.

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that was maybe valid in 2001, 9 years ago, i think you may not find the policeman not so amused, maybe get an update or something a little more recent or you may have to spend a day or 2 in the court house.

i think you will get a few laughs when you show your paper, may even a few more at the court house. may work may not, just don't like your odds.

The letter is just something extra to pack with you. I think having everything else mentioned is what is going to keep me out of court. ;)

Top Bottom