Air Riviter at Princess Auto

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought mine many moons ago, didnt read the manual at all i guess haha, I've just added air oil into the chuck fitting before i connect the air, still working after all these years.. would be heavy if it was full of oil..

I had used one from work that was an "air riveter". It didn't take any hydraulic fluid. The one that I bought is a "hydraulic air riveter". It turns out that it needs the hydraulic fluid to work. I tried it without adding any and it no worky! I'll try adding some over the next couple of days as per the instructions and report back. I just didn't want to overfill it as according to the instructions the air tank will be pretty much full. It will be a bit heavier alright!

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of drops of air tool oil from time to time and all's good - one of the best tool purchases yet ....

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics from the manual. IMG_20201226_1452333.jpg IMG_20201226_1452485.jpg IMG_20201226_1453000.jpg

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you buy one from there spend the extra on the pro point one. We use lots of rivets at work. The power fist are really hit and miss how they last. The pro point is worth the extra

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you buy one from there spend the extra on the pro point one. We use lots of rivets at work. The power fist are really hit and miss how they last. The pro point is worth the extra

I agree there are better makes out there but for the amount of times I've needed one the PA one when on sale is a good deal. I mean, I've had this thin new in the box since 2014 and only finally decided to give it a go! Its my own fault for not using it sooner.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got this thing working. I filled the "reservoir" with hydraulic fluid as per the instructions and give it a go. What a mess! Glad I had some floor dry! I get things cleaned up, including myself and am ready to throw this thing out and take my loses even after never using it. I come in the house and watch a few videos on the hydraulic air riveters but none of them review how to add the correct amount of fluid. Finally, one of the videos suggests reviewing the manual for a model on Harbor Freight. After reviewing their manual it states to fill to the top of the housing (#15) vs. to just below the top of the air cylinder (#22). I tested with a couple of rivets and it works like it should. Good times...

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had my 1/4" PA for about 2yrs now and have only added oil to the air inlet like all my other air tools

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had my 1/4" PA for about 2yrs now and have only added oil to the air inlet like all my other air tools

Mine would not work until I added the hydraulic oil as per the instructions in the pictures and described above. In the troubleshooting section it says to check and add oil if it doesn't work. The one that I had used before didn't require any hydraulic fluid either. I also added air tool oil to the air inlet.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine would not work until I added the hydraulic oil as per the instructions in the pictures and described above. In the troubleshooting section it says to check and add oil if it doesn't work. The one that I had used before didn't require any hydraulic fluid either. I also added air tool oil to the air inlet.

I just got one for Christmas, I better RTFM before I plan to try to use it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
no where on the box or on the manual does it call it hydraulic, but there is a section on adding hydraulic oil to it within the manual.

Top Bottom