Air Filter

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting a K&N air filter on my sportsman 800 but am wondering if it's worth the money. Has anybody put one on their machine and if so what kind of increased performance do you see? Also do you think it's worth it?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put one on my razor did help the performance but the cost savings is worth it paper filter 20.00 throw it away when dirty or wet K&N 65-70 dollars gets dirty or wet wash and reoil will outlast your quad

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not recommended for yamaha kodiaks, not because they're bad, I love K&N's. They just don't fit well and fall out of place and let too much dirt in. The factory foamies last forever and are super cheap to replace anyway. I don't know how the fit on a Polaris.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K&N filters are only good if you keep them clean and oiled. I've seen a lot of atv's, dirtbikes, etc that have fried because of neglect. I run duel K&N pod filters but clean them after every other ride at the least. I've actually been thinking of switching back to a foam style filter for trail riding.

500 King

Reaction score
If you are going to go with the K & N, I strongly recommended putting the outerwear cover on it if you are going to be riding in a dusty conditions.

I prefer the Twin Air, UNI, or No-Toil filters. All of them can be cleaned/re-oiled. If you keep the quad for any length of time, they will probably pay for themselves. Plus, you are going to get a lot better filtration.

Don't expect to see any measurable performance gains unless you do a bunch of other mods to take advantage of the slight increase in airflow.

honda680manitoba

Reaction score
i put one in my honda 680 and all i really notice is fuel mileage is alot better. not so much for performance but a bit.

ATVCamper

Reaction score
Website
www.campingatv.com
K&N filters are great for the street or snow but not recommended for the dirt. Foam filters work great in the dirt. If you do go with K&N follow instructions on how to oil. Hear to many horror stories about people over oiling the filter, especially on fuel injected machines.

Dr_Claw

Reaction score
I have K&N's in my Honda Fourtrax 300 and Honda 45OR.
They are great, just maintain them. Like anything you neglect it.. you pay!

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned just about every filter thats been made from UNI, Twin-Air, K&N, and a few others.

K&N being the nicest to clean, foam being tricky to work out all of the dirt. For protection, foam all the way.

As far as Foamers go, get a UNI. I had a Twin-Air and it was garbage. Idk if I got a lemon (someone, shed some light here) but after my first ride I washed it (it was a dusty ride) and I even used the recommended Twin-air cleaner. First thing that happened was it instantly began to crumble and fall apart. The two layers started to separate and bits fell off.

If your on top of maintenance you can't go wrong with K&N with an outerwears. Take heed, after two rides without washing I got dirt in my tract though.

denseleit

Reaction score
I have K&N on all my quads, not for performance, because I didn't notice any increase over a new paper filter. The paper filter will alway filter more dirt out, but at $25 a paper filter, k&n is easier on the pocket book. Keep it clean and oiled and always run a pre filter. Your stock 800 should have come with a pre filter, just keep using that and wash it everytime you clean the k&n. IMO don't buy it for a power increase, cause your not gonna notice one, unless your comparing from a clogged paper filter, then maybe. The 800 engine doesn't draw enough airflow to cause a restriction with the paper filter.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to go with the K & N, I strongly recommended putting the outerwear cover on it if you are going to be riding in a dusty conditions.

I prefer the Twin Air, UNI, or No-Toil filters. All of them can be cleaned/re-oiled. If you keep the quad for any length of time, they will probably pay for themselves. Plus, you are going to get a lot better filtration.

Don't expect to see any measurable performance gains unless you do a bunch of other mods to take advantage of the slight increase in airflow.

Agreed, K&N have their place on a street car/truck where there is minimal to zero dust. Where an OHV goes there is too much dust and these filters are not good at stopping fine dust, until they are very dirty, even with the "pre-filter"! Have seen it so many times with K&N's (drop-ins & FIPK) that there is a film of dust on the clean side of the intake, AND they were sealed and installed properly! As I know a lot of people run the foam filters, basically the same airflow but FAR GREATER filtering. And after all filters are the first line of defense! I DO NOT use oiled cotton gauze filters on anything I have...:nono: But just my Humble opinion!!:d

Top Bottom