after riding the 2013...thoughts

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I haven't been on here in a week atleast, geash, for a second I thought I might miss it. Well maybe if I hadn't been riding the entire week! Trip ended a few days early due to other commitments but thats no biggie!

I did try out the 2013 both SP and X (154's). Here are a few thoughts I have shared with others.

First rides (on the trail) this is not a trail sled! Hey, good right? The T-motion takes a few moments to get a feel for but even on whooped out un groomed 22+ miles into Eagles it was decently trailable. I could easily ride the XM harder and faster than I could ever imagine riding a Pro chassis Poo on the same trail. Trust me, I had a Pro with us the entire week. I can't get used to it.

Off in the deep (and it was deep), the sled pops up on the snow as good as or better than the Poo. From a dead stop, just get the sled moving in the deepest of deep and the XM pops right up where the XP would have just trenched a large hole to find your way out of. I prefer the X as I am used to the bar set up now over the SP but both sleds worked well. These sleds also have quite a few miles on them after being bagged on by numerous people. Anyone else set up for 2013 rides will most likely be riding newer units.

I didn't care too much about the upward facing gauges, the seat storage is actually smaller. The seat itself more like a M series. I have short legs so I liked it. Easy to throw your legs back and forth over it. The 8" more forward foot positioning was great for me. No longer do you even need to stand with two feet on one board either. I found myself cheating a lot where before I would have to be wrong for forward more often now I just rode and layed the sled over through the bars.

Both sleds had the steering post in the forward position like a freeride. But it can be moved back. I have ridden sleds with the post mod before and I like it. The updated DS skis still suck on the trail in. Again, not a trail ski, but if you like to go faster they are not great. I can't say I noticed that they were moved in the spindle. The Snowflap actually is functional, especially on deep days as you can flip it up/out.

The track edges really flex on hard packed and I think this with the t-motion is going to make this sled lay over easier for people on set up snow. Again, its like cheating. Standing beside the sled, grabbing the bar end it is very easy to tip the sled up on its edge. There are lots of good things about this sled.

The bad - hmm...people are still going to complain about the price. Pricing out a new Pro to a X is going to still favour the Polaris. Other than price, the stupid yellow. The orange SP is a much nicer looking sled. Almost retro. Other than that, I can't say anything stands out as being bad.

For anyone who was thinking about jumping ship because they can't ride like Burandt or Maxwell unless they have a new Pro, wait until you have seat time on a 2013 Doo. There are lots of other little minor changes like the running boards that just make this sled better. Its not going to make everyone happy, but it has bridged the gap between what Polaris achieved a few years ago, and still with a better motor.

cheers...

SAM_0301.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What difference does the color make TTB. You've got it covered with snow. HaHa. Good review!

haha I had purposely wiped off the Ski-Doo logo for the picture! It was deffinely covered in snow the whole day.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great review. Thanks. Makes the decision harder whether to pull the pin this year or just upgrade the skid and rails this year and wait for 2014. I agree with you on the Poo. I did not get used to it when I went to Burant's over Xmas even after 3 days of riding. I was immediately feeling better when I got back and started riding my XP.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the track is a big piece of the puzzle with the new T motion package.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll start with the upgrade and see, I'm not a fan of 2 idler wheels in the rear and the 12'' bars in the track????? hummmmm! they need one more year of testing IMO

They have been testing the track for a year already

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

groschien

Reaction score
I have been testing with camoplast for a while and you would not imagine how many different compounds, bars, paddles design...... they have in their R&D department to improve durability and efficientcy of their tracks. This year I'm not on their list since I've moved here in Whistler but for the past 5 years I was getting about 3 different tracks every season on my trail sled back east, so I suppose they do the same on their mountain tracks,,,, have unbias riders doing some testing and reporting. I'm not saying it does not work, I'm simply cautious.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Bounce,
How about the air intake? in all that deep snow did you have to constantly clear the intake or have any issues with it building up with ice ?

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I haven't been on here in a week atleast, geash, for a second I thought I might miss it. Well maybe if I hadn't been riding the entire week! Trip ended a few days early due to other commitments but thats no biggie!I did try out the 2013 both SP and X (154's). Here are a few thoughts I have shared with others.First rides (on the trail) this is not a trail sled! Hey, good right? The T-motion takes a few moments to get a feel for but even on whooped out un groomed 22+ miles into Eagles it was decently trailable. I could easily ride the XM harder and faster than I could ever imagine riding a Pro chassis Poo on the same trail. Trust me, I had a Pro with us the entire week. I can't get used to it.Off in the deep (and it was deep), the sled pops up on the snow as good as or better than the Poo. From a dead stop, just get the sled moving in the deepest of deep and the XM pops right up where the XP would have just trenched a large hole to find your way out of. I prefer the X as I am used to the bar set up now over the SP but both sleds worked well. These sleds also have quite a few miles on them after being bagged on by numerous people. Anyone else set up for 2013 rides will most likely be riding newer units.I didn't care too much about the upward facing gauges, the seat storage is actually smaller. The seat itself more like a M series. I have short legs so I liked it. Easy to throw your legs back and forth over it. The 8" more forward foot positioning was great for me. No longer do you even need to stand with two feet on one board either. I found myself cheating a lot where before I would have to be wrong for forward more often now I just rode and layed the sled over through the bars.Both sleds had the steering post in the forward position like a freeride. But it can be moved back. I have ridden sleds with the post mod before and I like it. The updated DS skis still suck on the trail in. Again, not a trail ski, but if you like to go faster they are not great. I can't say I noticed that they were moved in the spindle. The Snowflap actually is functional, especially on deep days as you can flip it up/out.The track edges really flex on hard packed and I think this with the t-motion is going to make this sled lay over easier for people on set up snow. Again, its like cheating. Standing beside the sled, grabbing the bar end it is very easy to tip the sled up on its edge. There are lots of good things about this sled.The bad - hmm...people are still going to complain about the price. Pricing out a new Pro to a X is going to still favour the Polaris. Other than price, the stupid yellow. The orange SP is a much nicer looking sled. Almost retro. Other than that, I can't say anything stands out as being bad.For anyone who was thinking about jumping ship because they can't ride like Burandt or Maxwell unless they have a new Pro, wait until you have seat time on a 2013 Doo. There are lots of other little minor changes like the running boards that just make this sled better. Its not going to make everyone happy, but it has bridged the gap between what Polaris achieved a few years ago, and still with a better motor.cheers...
SAM_0301.jpg
Is that ur son on the sled in the pic? Nice of u to bring him along on a demo, How'd the little gaffer handle the doo?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the looks of all that shredded pow and the layer of snow on the sled that little gaffer can ride. Think that a little gaffer like that could do the same damage to that pow if he was riding your heavy old Cat?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I haven't been on here in a week atleast, geash, for a second I thought I might miss it. Well maybe if I hadn't been riding the entire week! Trip ended a few days early due to other commitments but thats no biggie!

I did try out the 2013 both SP and X (154's). Here are a few thoughts I have shared with others.

First rides (on the trail) this is not a trail sled! Hey, good right? The T-motion takes a few moments to get a feel for but even on whooped out un groomed 22+ miles into Eagles it was decently trailable. I could easily ride the XM harder and faster than I could ever imagine riding a Pro chassis Poo on the same trail. Trust me, I had a Pro with us the entire week. I can't get used to it.

Off in the deep (and it was deep), the sled pops up on the snow as good as or better than the Poo. From a dead stop, just get the sled moving in the deepest of deep and the XM pops right up where the XP would have just trenched a large hole to find your way out of. I prefer the X as I am used to the bar set up now over the SP but both sleds worked well. These sleds also have quite a few miles on them after being bagged on by numerous people. Anyone else set up for 2013 rides will most likely be riding newer units.

I didn't care too much about the upward facing gauges, the seat storage is actually smaller. The seat itself more like a M series. I have short legs so I liked it. Easy to throw your legs back and forth over it. The 8" more forward foot positioning was great for me. No longer do you even need to stand with two feet on one board either. I found myself cheating a lot where before I would have to be wrong for forward more often now I just rode and layed the sled over through the bars.

Both sleds had the steering post in the forward position like a freeride. But it can be moved back. I have ridden sleds with the post mod before and I like it. The updated DS skis still suck on the trail in. Again, not a trail ski, but if you like to go faster they are not great. I can't say I noticed that they were moved in the spindle. The Snowflap actually is functional, especially on deep days as you can flip it up/out.

The track edges really flex on hard packed and I think this with the t-motion is going to make this sled lay over easier for people on set up snow. Again, its like cheating. Standing beside the sled, grabbing the bar end it is very easy to tip the sled up on its edge. There are lots of good things about this sled.

The bad - hmm...people are still going to complain about the price. Pricing out a new Pro to a X is going to still favour the Polaris. Other than price, the stupid yellow. The orange SP is a much nicer looking sled. Almost retro. Other than that, I can't say anything stands out as being bad.

For anyone who was thinking about jumping ship because they can't ride like Burandt or Maxwell unless they have a new Pro, wait until you have seat time on a 2013 Doo. There are lots of other little minor changes like the running boards that just make this sled better. Its not going to make everyone happy, but it has bridged the gap between what Polaris achieved a few years ago, and still with a better motor.

cheers...

SAM_0301.jpg

was there a prormk there to compare it too.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that ur son on the sled in the pic? Nice of u to bring him along on a demo, How'd the little gaffer handle the doo?

yeah I am short? is that an issue for you? Or can you not wrap that notion around your enlarged head?

general - I still found the intakes to cover over with snow - as pictured. They are higher, but I don't think its a great fix. Intakes in the super neat goggle box would make more sense.

SM - no RMK's there, but I had one with me the entire week. Had my '12 with the RMK on a deep day, and its just not a sled I like to ride. I am not against the Poo's, they do some things well, and if someone likes riding them, great.

The '13 does everything everyone says a Pro does well, but with more HP. I wouldn't say the 2013 outclimbed a 2012 Summit, just made everything else easier. Only downside is Poo owners might jump ship so they can get a real motor now :)

And yes it was deep -

IMG_1044-1.jpg

Last edited:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And to answer ur question snopro,,, u bet the ol cat can shred it, do it a couple times a week here in bc, from revy to blue river and everything in between. And i think my sled is actually lighter than the new doo, correct me if im wrong, because u do seem to know absolutely everything wen it comes to sledding, dont forget the weight saving mods ive got wen u do ur calculations.

groschien

Reaction score
yeah I am short? is that an issue for you? Or can you not wrap that notion around your enlarged head?

general - I still found the intakes to cover over with snow - as pictured. They are higher, but I don't think its a great fix. Intakes in the super neat goggle box would make more sense.

SM - no RMK's there, but I had one with me the entire week. Had my '12 with the RMK on a deep day, and its just not a sled I like to ride. I am not against the Poo's, they do some things well, and if someone likes riding them, great.

The '13 does everything everyone says a Pro does well, but with more HP. I wouldn't say the 2013 outclimbed a 2012 Summit, just made everything else easier. Only downside is Poo owners might jump ship so they can get a real motor now :)

And yes it was deep -

IMG_1044-1.jpg
I second that ''the 2013 XM doesn't outclimb a freeride 2012''(154''/154'') spent a full day with a XM and comparing. Oh BTW I jumped on the XM a few times as well, just to make sure!!!!!!!

Top Bottom