Aerocharger 2013-14 E-TEC Turbo Systems

Aerocharger_jerry

Reaction score
2013AerochargerE-TEC_zpsfc86046c.png

We're getting into the 2013-14 season at Aerocharger - kits are shipping daily and in a few weeks we'll be hitting the road to attend all the western US and Canadian snow shows.

We are honored and humbled that backcountry riders are overwhelmingly choosing Aerocharger's advanced engineering over conventional technology in the crowded turbo field. We strive to provide the most comprehensive package possible right out of the box, and this season we are improving on it with a few refinements. This will get elaborated on as we get closer to snow, but you can expect from Aerocharger this year:

• REDUCED COMPONENT WEIGHT. Whether climbing, side hilling or just getting unstuck from the deep stuff, mountain riders understand that every ounce makes a difference. Last year's Aerocharger system totaled out to an overall sled weight reduction of -2 pounds, making it the lightest kit available industry-wide. For 2013, weight reduction will be further improved to -6 pounds.
  • SLED VENTING. Heat dissipation is critical for best turbo performance, so we went ahead and included turbo side and clutch side Snow Silk vent kits in every Aerocharger snowmobile turbo package this season.
  • CLUTCHING. Clutch setups were the most requested item last season. Getting this right is one of the biggest factors in your turbo sled running the best it can, and this year an extensive custom clutch setup comes standard in every Aerocharger snowmobile turbo system. This includes custom ramps, weights, gearing, and a very cool custom helix with improved angles for turbocharged operation.
There's no need to hassle with lists of options and dubious upgrades with Aerocharger. Our goal is to bring you the fullest package, with the easiest install, to keep you on the snow as much as possible this winter.

Here's Brad and Calvin introducing Aerocharger's 2013-14 systems, including an engineering rundown on what works and what doesn't when it comes to turbocharging snowmobiles.

We're looking forward to some awesome snowy days ahead, and if you have any questions at all you can hit us up at info@aerocharger.com or post to us right here on SnowandMud.com.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a good looking kit. I really like the simplicity of it compared to some others:beer:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im curious what kind of difference they see in charge temps with the snow to air intercooler, and how consistent they are. I like the idea, but looking at the placement and orientation of the cooling fins Im skeptical as to how much snow gets thrown on them. It would also be nice if they were set up for a better cold air intake system. The orientation of the turbo makes it kind of difficult though doesnt it? And you would think the exit location for the exhaust would be prone to plugging off?

I really like the simplicity of the kit though and the fact that you still lose wieght on the sled.

PBNFLD

Reaction score
Nice! They just keep making it easier for me to make up my mind on what turbo setup I want.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what I have heard from others charge temps drop significantly, maybe aero can specify exact numbers, and much lighter and cleaner versus tss air/water combo, if you ever watch a guys sled when he is cat walking, you can see all the snow and air pushing out the front of the track, it acts like a pump.... and the snow/air cooler location now uses that energy to cool charge temps

with such a efficient snow/air cooler the cold/air is not as important as before, and that could be why they have left that alone, there secondary fuel location also acts as a great charge cooler in representing water injection( big hp gains in diesel performance with this)

as for exhaust location, I found their first generation to be lightest and it never gave me no issue with exhaust back pressure in wet heavy or light over the hood snow

planning to try out their clutching setup this year to compare to my own, but a good feeling to know they are always testing and improving their product and if you compare pricing over the cdn companys its a no brainer...

install instructions, videos like this and support also make kit a easy install and you can be running in 4hrs( tss wants your to drive to samon arm for them to install on their schedule, and whens there's issues, back on the rd you go... i give the aero a big bonus there

Im curious what kind of difference they see in charge temps with the snow to air intercooler, and how consistent they are. I like the idea, but looking at the placement and orientation of the cooling fins Im skeptical as to how much snow gets thrown on them. It would also be nice if they were set up for a better cold air intake system. The orientation of the turbo makes it kind of difficult though doesnt it? And you would think the exit location for the exhaust would be prone to plugging off?

I really like the simplicity of the kit though and the fact that you still lose wieght on the sled.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snow to air should work good in deep pow, Harder snow??? For me its definatly between TSS and Aero Charger for the etec. Leaning towards the Aero charger,, I'd want to run a Boost-it fuel controller tho. I like how clean it looks, simplicity and being able to order and install the kit myself. TSS definatly has a good product too.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
there is no issue with the exhaust location plugging off. I put the cooler on half way thru last year and it made a huge difference in how responsive the sled was. without it there was heat soaking while riding hard and that is completely eliminated now. not sure on charge temps, but I wouldn't go without it.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My biggest question, if BRP teamed up with Aero, when will we be seeing it as an option, or in the accessories book?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you say it was more responsive, was this under full load conditions, are from low rpms as well, be neat to see a before and after dyno run with a few burps of the throttle to compare

I can see it being more efficient on a longer pull, but wonder about running the short pulls and boondocking

there is no issue with the exhaust location plugging off. I put the cooler on half way thru last year and it made a huge difference in how responsive the sled was. without it there was heat soaking while riding hard and that is completely eliminated now. not sure on charge temps, but I wouldn't go without it.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
without the intercooler it had great low end throttle response, but when it got hot on a long pull or just staying in deep for a long time where you were more into the throttle the turbo got very hot , don't have temps but it was noticeable when opening the hood to cool it down, If you waited a few minutes then it was good again. It wasn't so bad you had to stop or anything but when you stopped for your sandwich you noticed it was more snappy after. With the intercooler this went away and it ran snappy all the time. I don't have any specific data as this was an observation while riding that's all. I hope that helps. I definitely would not consider going without the intercooler. when I bought the system it wasn't available yet. I didn't buy it to fix a problem as I didn't think there was one. Just happened to make it even better is all.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason i ask... Brad is sending me a snow:air but it never seams to get here.... Cough cough

I currently run a short pipe from turbo threw where the stock oil tank goes directly in the airbox, ( less than 12 inches long)I also went from the stock 1.8id to a 2.5" so it seams to run cool and even on long pulls it does not drop rpm, so I think it's working great but always want something better if it's there

i bought a air temp gauge and installed this year to monitor charge. Temps at different boost

without the intercooler it had great low end throttle response, but when it got hot on a long pull or just staying in deep for a long time where you were more into the throttle the turbo got very hot , don't have temps but it was noticeable when opening the hood to cool it down, If you waited a few minutes then it was good again. It wasn't so bad you had to stop or anything but when you stopped for your sandwich you noticed it was more snappy after. With the intercooler this went away and it ran snappy all the time. I don't have any specific data as this was an observation while riding that's all. I hope that helps. I definitely would not consider going without the intercooler. when I bought the system it wasn't available yet. I didn't buy it to fix a problem as I didn't think there was one. Just happened to make it even better is all.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason i ask... Brad is sending me a snow:air but it never seams to get here.... Cough cough

I currently run a short pipe from turbo threw where the stock oil tank goes directly in the airbox, ( less than 12 inches long)I also went from the stock 1.8id to a 2.5" so it seams to run cool and even on long pulls it does not drop rpm, so I think it's working great but always want something better if it's there

i bought a air temp gauge and installed this year to monitor charge. Temps at different boost

Where about's are you placing the Temp sensor?

mctrailboss

Reaction score
that will be interesting to see what you find for temps with different setups. also I believe the inlet is larger on the snow/air airbox than on aerochargers stock airbox. charge tube larger also obviously. jerry could comment on exact measurements. that may also be aiding in the lower temps that I saw. Is there an advantage to a shorter charge tube?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding from talking with Corey and brad, is that the most efficient charge tube is as short as it can be with the least amount of bends, reducing heat build up and maintaing highest velocity

i would guess that actual I.d. Would also reduce charge temps some and extra air in the charge system, and Corey had mentioned it took took Millie seconds extra to fill a larger tube

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lower Over all Volume in your system should give you better throttle response. But larger ID pipe will allow you to flow more CFM.

Aerocharger_jerry

Reaction score
that will be interesting to see what you find for temps with different setups. also I believe the inlet is larger on the snow/air airbox than on aerochargers stock airbox. charge tube larger also obviously. jerry could comment on exact measurements. that may also be aiding in the lower temps that I saw. Is there an advantage to a shorter charge tube?

Actually, the inlets and charge tube diameters on both our snow/air and non-IC airboxes are the same, starting in January 2013.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a photo, of the airbox modded with the charge temp thermo couple and 2.5 inch inlet

still need to do some weight loss on it thou

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 283

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see the price on the site has gone up from 6250 last week to 6800 this week for the snow to air intercooler. Any reason for the sudden price increase of 550? I know there's inflation and what not, but an increase like that for the same kit ( unless something has changed ) seems a bit steep?

I have no problems paying for quality but would like to know where the extra money is going.

P.S not trying to stir anything, but was about to pull the trigger on one but am curious about the price increase.

Top Bottom