Advice on jetting & clutching 583 Rotax

polaradoo583

Reaction score
I run a mid 90's polaris chassis with lightweight tunnel & suspension, rolled chaincase. 144 x 1.75" camoplast track. The chassis is really light. Not sure the gear ratio, but I can easily check.

I had a 617 Rotax in it and blew her up :(. (now for sale with brand new wiseco pistons)
I ran a set of 44mm Mikinis from my 617 (530 main jets - no kidding), but was told it was over carburated. It ran REALLY hard and fast!
I have twin "Decker" pipes to breath. I think stock rotary valve. Stock valave cover with oil injection removed (run premix).

I run polaris front clutch, with gold spring and 10AL (52gr) weights.
I also run Polaris secondary with blue spring on #3, and stock helix (3 ramps).

NOW, I have a 583 Rotax I bought (used). It has a Union Bay Racing Head :d & has been ported & polished. Not sure if the valve is stock or not. It came with a set of 40mm D-slide Keihin carbs (was told these are better carbs than mikunis [?]). And an aftermarket shorty aluminum intake "Xtreme" (no oil injection) It also came with a single "fatboy" pipe, ceramic coated.

Here's my problem :confused:.

1) Carburation. Which set should I use? And what jetting to start with?
I'm not drag racing with it, its a trail machine.
2) Which pipes will breath better or give me more trail-performance?
3) Clutching suggestions? I have to rebulid them anyways and wonder if a different set-up will give me more bang for my buck.

I'm not into extreme hill climbing, just all-round fun on the trails.

I know...I know... the only way to tell for sure is test & tune...
But I dont want to by three or four different sets of weights & springs. I'm trying to keep the $$$ low. I can interchange the carbs & pipes & test myself, and jets are relatively cheap, but does someone have experience with a ROTAX and polaris clutches together?

Thanks for any suggestions you have. :)

ps, should the timing be stock?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Deano670 on here, he is very knowledgable on the Doo motors with Pol clutching.

Top Bottom