advice on glasses and helmets

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey all. i have a problem every year. i wear glasses. contacts are not an option. issue is fogging up. anyone have any advise on what works? i mean what type of helmet? motocross with goggles, heated full face, etc. i dont want to spend a tonne on finding the one that works. i have 4 at home now. full face but they all fog up. haventy tried motocross and goggles because wasnt sure about the goggles fitting over glasses. any help would be great.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can easily get a goggle that fits over glasses. My suggestion would be to get 2 pairs, so if one fogs, you can just switch out the goggle while the other defogs. You can find some goggles that have a fan built in to help with moisture removal. 509 also sells a fan that will attach to pretty much any goggle. Sell your 4 fullface helmets to pay for a good motocross helmet and goggle set up.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a set of scott OTG goggles with the fan set up and you'll be golden, just don't drop them in the snow. so far works well for me.

Hotfrank

Reaction score
My son has a 509 fan, with bad results, it doesn't work.
Did you look at Oakley's web site?
They may make prescription goggles for you.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
must be the way you where using them, they work well if ya use them right, they must be on all the time, and never lay them in the snow.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did find a fan that goes on any goggles at royal distributing and i seen the goggles for OTG as well.im assuming they are battery operated

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use a motocross style helmet, but i also use bolle persrcription googles they dont fog at all ive had mine for 3yrs now wih no issues love them to death

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did find a fan that goes on any goggles at royal distributing and i seen the goggles for OTG as well.im assuming they are battery operated
use a aa battery, so far lasts for the season, works well,

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
scott OTG'S with or with out fan. i have just the otg's and they never fog. and they fit almost every type of helmet where as the the other brans such as 509, dragon, ect. with the aviator style lens dont fit in most helmets. sure if you have a 509 helmet and 509 goggles great but i think you didnt want to spend alot. so my sudjestion to you would be an hjc helmet motorcross style. and make sure you buy the optional breath gaurd for the model of hjc helmet you buy. (they snap into place and sit above your nose and fit up agains the chin/face gaurd of the helmet keeping all the air from your goggles) and then you will be fine with a set of scott OTG'S and not need the fan.this set up should run you about $250.00 or less taxes in.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortunately my prescription is very expensive. my oakleys i use for riding my bike were close to 800. also my eyes are changing again,. so dont want to spend a bunch till they stop changing for a while. hate getting old. i just ordered the scott OTG goggles and the fan kit. see how they work.

farmerger

Reaction score
unfortunately my prescription is very expensive. my oakleys i use for riding my bike were close to 800. also my eyes are changing again,. so dont want to spend a bunch till they stop changing for a while. hate getting old. i just ordered the scott OTG goggles and the fan kit. see how they work.

I bought the Habervision otg goggles with the fan. Works in so far as it stops most of the goggle fogging issue, but did not stop my glasses from fogging eventually. I did make it a lot further into the day, but near the end I was riding blind. I suspect one major factor in my issues is that I'm a noob, so there's a lot more sweating going on behind those goggles. I also have rotten eyeballs, far sided with a wicked astigmatism. I worked with my optometrist to find some contacts that will work, I can't read well with them on, but distance vision is pretty good, a lot better than through steamed up glasses anyways. Will give those a try. Nice part is that all I had to pay was $50 for the first trial pair, so I'm not out a big wad just to discover my eyes suck to hard to make the contacts work.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think thats what it boils down to glasses or not. I found the same thing with the habervisions. They helped a bit, but when riding hard.....if a guy is all sweated up I think its pretty hard to keep any goggles from fogging. The biggest thing is having good ventilation and a proper breath deflector.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Klim belaclava and the deflector have kept mine pretty much fog free. The clava wicks the moisture.

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm I missing something. But every one says not to set the fans down??
Can you fill me in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Here is a link that will lead you to the review of the Habervision Ouzo OTG and Habervision Fan module.

Our son rides with glasses and goggles equipped with the Habervision fan module. We have found that the more you leave your goggles in place when riding with this combination the less likely you are to fog your glasses.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm I missing something. But every one says not to set the fans down??
Can you fill me in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find that setting them down just increases the chances of getting snow in the goggle which adds to the moisture. Also, snow tends to plug up the vents in the lens not allowing them to breathe as well. The fan works by blowing the warm moist air from inside the goggles out the top. That air is replaced by fresh air through the lens vents. If they are plugged with snow, which happens a lot with me as I have a tendency of lawn darting myself off the sled, the fresh air can't get through the lens. I am always running a 2 goggle set up, both with fans. The fans help me last longer without fogging, but eventually my sweatiness wins. Hoping my underhood goggle bag will help speed up the defogging process this year.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
leave the fan on high all the time, the mid range setting for auto on off is a waste of time for me. seems like any moisture inside the goggles when ya set them in the snow freezes or condenses and freezes. warm air holds way more moisture and when the air cools it condenses and ends up on the inside of goggles. thus the less ya take them off the better. the battery lasts for weeks but carry an extra just in case, but it is still inexpensive. also one of those absorbant hand cloths to wipe the lens are the trick, may also have to try some of that rub on material to see if it also works.

Top Bottom