Advice on first avy backpack

kfrey

Reaction score
IMG_4817.jpg I use an ABS. No problem grabbing the handle with the left hand.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd add that abs packs still have their release on the wrong shoulder (left side) making it awkward to pull in an emergency setting. Much easier to pull from right shoulder and still have throttle control

You can buy a left hand trigger pull for it. About 40 bucks, I use one.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a snowpulse highmark, like it fine.if i had the cash i would buy the newest snowpulse vest as they now have the same style bag that wraps around your head. Thats the main reason i chose snowpulse.If you havent tried the vest you should,way more comfy. Also another note if using existing gear make sure it fits in whatever u choose, my buddy bought the new snowpulse vest and his shovel and probe dont fit in it. Also when we were shopping, noticed some do not have the crotch strap, which I would consider a must have,and others have little to no storage space. I like that snowpulse has a visual indication that the cylinder is full,which you should check before leaving as i had one leak out once.ABS you have to weigh it to know it is full, which even though is technicaly supposed to be sealed.......so either assume its full,or have a scale to weigh it. So many possibilities....

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I have a snowpulse highmark, like it fine.if i had the cash i would buy the newest snowpulse vest as they now have the same style bag that wraps around your head. Thats the main reason i chose snowpulse.If you havent tried the vest you should,way more comfy. Also another note if using existing gear make sure it fits in whatever u choose, my buddy bought the new snowpulse vest and his shovel and probe dont fit in it. Also when we were shopping, noticed some do not have the crotch strap, which I would consider a must have,and others have little to no storage space. I like that snowpulse has a visual indication that the cylinder is full,which you should check before leaving as i had one leak out once.ABS you have to weigh it to know it is full, which even though is technicaly supposed to be sealed.......so either assume its full,or have a scale to weigh it. So many possibilities....

With regards to the abs canister, you are right , weight it to know, however in over 12 years with the company we have never had a bottle leak, it is why we refill them, we take it very seriously, scope the bottle for water, clean, weight, fill to 4600 psi nitrogen, and it gets sealed by the machine with a copper seal and sits for 72 hours to check before they go back out. Other bottles leak from the different enter and exit holes. So check your orings and do check the bottle every time you go, also take them to a reputable dealer to fill, the kid at the paintball shop does not really care if your air bag goes off.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With regards to the abs canister, you are right , weight it to know, however in over 12 years with the company we have never had a bottle leak, it is why we refill them, we take it very seriously, scope the bottle for water, clean, weight, fill to 4600 psi nitrogen, and it gets sealed by the machine with a copper seal and sits for 72 hours to check before they go back out. Other bottles leak from the different enter and exit holes. So check your orings and do check the bottle every time you go, also take them to a reputable dealer to fill, the kid at the paintball shop does not really care if your air bag goes off.

I have seen the refill process and I don't think any other manufacture has anywhere near the process or attention to detail that ABS has.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I would add an update. I like to research big purchases a lot before making a decision. Sometimes it can be analysis paralysis, but I end up very happy and confident in my decisions. For ****s a giggles I had a chance to try two different packs, one is the Mammut 22l with RAS, the other a Scott 22L with Alpride. I put on a Tekvest and jacket to simulate riding conditions. Very interesting results. Scott says their bag weighs less, but jumping on a scale the reality was a 0.2kg (0.44Lb) difference. Both had full cylinders. I guess it does weigh "less" but to me that's negligable. Scott "felt" a little lighter, and I really wanted to like the Scott bag, but the Mammut just felt better all around. Fit my body better and was definitely more comfortable. Slightly thinner shoulder straps which allowed for better movement and didn't press into the side of the body and upper arms. Scott bag has wider straps that bugged me at the upper arm area. Would drive me nuts over a few hours of riding. Mammut bag allowed me better range of movement without any pressure points. Although the Scott has a really nice system with a pretty handle, the Mammut handle was just easier to grab as it had a bit more substance and stuck out a little further. That made it easier for this tall guy with big hands. Scott bag can have the handle mounted left or right, but again, in reality, it did not matter to me what side the handle was on. I could pull either side easily with both my left and right hands. Should you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of needing the airbag, I figured a person would find a way to pull a handle regardless of side. So I've eliminated one potential bag and elevated another. Glad I went through the process.

customfx

Reaction score
just to let everyone know I think abs bags are probably the best but I would steer clear they have pulled out of north America so getting parts and refills will be an issue. I was a dealer up until 2 months ago luckily I only had one bag left and a bunch of refills so I will be using that one. I would try BCA bag or the snow pulse. be wary of cheap abs bags people trying to get rid of them

customfx

Reaction score
I got an email from abs headquarters that stated due to unforeseen circumstances they have had to pull out of the North American market that includes United States of America. I got that email about a month and a half ago and I have not heard from anyone since to let me know as a dealer that anything has changed. So as good as the air bag might be there dealer support really sucks which really relates to end user support warranty repairs service and cylinder exchanges. I had an open house today and talked to one customer and they said there is something up and going in squamish. As a dealer I think they should have called me and let me know what was going on. I even talked to dealer reps and they were left high and dry not knowing what was going on. Anyway sorry for the rant just not too happy with them

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I to was talking with the people from ABS and was told that they were opening in Squamish BC November 1 and were expecting to be open for buisness by November 10. i have an ABS bag that needs the recall inspection done and have been trying for months and still have had zero success with getting any answers on how to go about it, and am presently not getting any response to emails sent, disapointing to say the least. if anyone on here can direct me and im sure others on this matter that would be much appreciated.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
just to let everyone know I think abs bags are probably the best but I would steer clear they have pulled out of north America so getting parts and refills will be an issue. I was a dealer up until 2 months ago luckily I only had one bag left and a bunch of refills so I will be using that one. I would try BCA bag or the snow pulse. be wary of cheap abs bags people trying to get rid of them

ABS is still in North America! I will be the first to admit that the way ABS has handled this has been terrible for dealers but they are not pulling out of North America. I found them a warehouse in Squamish an we are open now just getting dialled in. They closed the langley office as it was a huge expense and should have been moved a long time ago. The move was done terribly and dealers could not reach ABS at all which is terrible and definately did not do anyone any favours. It took me a while to find somewhere in Squamish as with real estate here is off the hook. I found a place and David the service tech has set everything up. Before shutting the Langely office he refilled all the bottles we would need for one year of service in North America, a huge under taking, so we have bags, bottles and the service of bags will be up and running right away. We are just in the middle of hooking up web, phones etc. Yes were are behind but we will get to everything. I am just an athlete with them, but I am doing everything I can to make sure we are set up for everyone. When we have it all dialled I will place a thread in Snow And Mud. If you need a canister and can not find one feel free to email me dave@davenorona.com and I will get one to you. Cheers dave

Last edited:

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I got an email from abs headquarters that stated due to unforeseen circumstances they have had to pull out of the North American market that includes United States of America. I got that email about a month and a half ago and I have not heard from anyone since to let me know as a dealer that anything has changed. So as good as the air bag might be there dealer support really sucks which really relates to end user support warranty repairs service and cylinder exchanges. I had an open house today and talked to one customer and they said there is something up and going in squamish. As a dealer I think they should have called me and let me know what was going on. I even talked to dealer reps and they were left high and dry not knowing what was going on. Anyway sorry for the rant just not too happy with them

I agree the way the company handles a lot of stuff is terrible, mostly cause it comes from Germany and they do not let ABS north america do things they way they should be done, I am not defending them at all because I am very aware of what they have done to some dealers and reps, a lot of good friends of mine. I love the product so much that I am working my ass off to right it all but there is only so much I can do , so it will be a slow process but David and i are going to get things dialled. They have a guy now who is in germany and very keen to make things run smooth here so that is the biggest start for us here...I can't phone every dealer now so apologize you were in the dark, it probably made you look bad, and really is it is ABS, but since I am trying to clean up it is just doing what I can as things come in. dave dave@davenorona.com

customfx

Reaction score
Hi Dave thanks for writing a post here and getting things straightened out I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what was going on and what I've been told even by abs head office. My main concern is and will always be the customer and it makes me happy to know that abs hasn't pulled out of North America because in my opinion it is the best air bag out there and customers can still get there equipment serviced and replacement cylinders. Again sorry and thanks for the clarification on what's going on.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Hi Dave thanks for writing a post here and getting things straightened out I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what was going on and what I've been told even by abs head office. My main concern is and will always be the customer and it makes me happy to know that abs hasn't pulled out of North America because in my opinion it is the best air bag out there and customers can still get there equipment serviced and replacement cylinders. Again sorry and thanks for the clarification on what's going on.

Thanks for all you do and I apologize on their behalf of keeping you out of the loop. The owner has always tried to run the show over here and they know nothing about North America, so i have seen the battle from the inside. There is a guy now working hard for north America and I am helping to align that. There is no doubt we have lost dealers and we will have to strengthen the bond between dealers now, but I am working hard to help as I believe in the bags and safety and also want them to continue in North America. We are on the path, but it will take a bit of time and patience, like I said if anyone has questions or comments or can't find and answer feel free to email me directly and I will try and figure out the best plan of attack. dave@davenorona.com cheers dave

Top Bottom