Advice on first avy backpack

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a avy pack before and I'm looking for advice on buying one. Currently have my eye on a ABS Escape 30 for $400.

northof40

Reaction score
My advice, get something comfortable, try a few on with as much gear as you would wear if possible, don't just go for the cheapest option. I picked up a backpack style one at first, but I did not like constantly snugging up the straps, and feeling the bag move around on my back. I went with a vest style one after that, way more comfortable for me, can hardly tell im wearing it. I notice the biggest difference at the end of the day.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advice is to get a slim,lightweight bag for just ur shovel and probe and maybe a few small things.

the highmark pitch is what i run.weighs like 6 lbs.the heavier the bag on your shoulders

the quicker you get sore and tired.keep all the heavy stuff on your tunnel and let the sled

do the work for you.all the avy bags are good cant go wrong ive used them all.but slim for

the win my friend!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You want most of the survival gear (the gear you would need to spend a night in the bush) in the bag and not on the sled. If you are in an avalanche and the sled gets buried, where is the survival gear? It could be down in the snow a long way!

The bag size is a matter of opinion and what you can comfortably carry. A 30l bag is a big bag, although there are bigger bags out there. Most bags, with nothing in them weigh around 15+ pounds (the back pack and the deploying mechanism and the avi bag(s). I am down to 15/18 litres now and used to use a 30 litre bag.

ABS and Snowpulse are great quality. Like mentioned above, try them on and try to figure out what you will be carrying in it. That should give an idea on what size you would want.

rmkpolaris

Reaction score
One thing I took into consideration is the ease/cost of repacking and refilling or replacing cartridge after deploying. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the ABS bags require the whole trigger mechanism to be replaced after a deployment? (accidental or otherwise...) I have a Snowpulse that just has small puncture discs, and it can be refilled with C02, N2, whatever is available. Also with the Snowpulse, I like how it inflates in a shape around your head that will create a bit of a neck brace, should you end up ragdolled In a slide.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the abs 32L. It is a little big, but I can fit a nights worth of survival gear and it's not toooo heavy.
I'll try it out for another season and may try the vest next year.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many options out there, some may argue on all aspects of the bags. But as long as you are wearing one that fits properly is key. Advantages of snowpulse is ease of filling and repacking the bag. Filled with compressed air not nitrogen like most packs an does no require anything else to set up with then a new copper burst plate (new bags come with 6 refill disks). This PAS system also serves two purposes, keep you afloat and trauma protection around your vitals.

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want most of the survival gear (the gear you would need to spend a night in the bush) in the bag and not on the sled. If you are in an avalanche and the sled gets buried, where is the survival gear? It could be down in the snow a long way!

The bag size is a matter of opinion and what you can comfortably carry. A 30l bag is a big bag, although there are bigger bags out there. Most bags, with nothing in them weigh around 15+ pounds (the back pack and the deploying mechanism and the avi bag(s). I am down to 15/18 litres now and used to use a 30 litre bag.

ABS and Snowpulse are great quality. Like mentioned above, try them on and try to figure out what you will be carrying in it. That should give an idea on what size you would want.

agreed,thats what i meant by a few small things,as in first aid kit flashlight small food matches etc.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowpulse offers a few bag options, I like the highmark or highmark pro for the bag size and deployed PAS bag shape. The vest is another option but it has the square pillow style bag behind your head. There have been a few bags that had problems with them deploying inside the backpack, or only one half inflating, I think that was ABS? Theres an electric version too out there. The other thing to consider is some have the ability to have the deployment handle switched to either side. Would you take your hand off the throttle to deploy the bag? I had the older Snowpulse 15L pro prorider and upgraded to the highmark 20L last year. wouldn't go back

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try a bunch and see what fits you the best for me that was the abs pack i tried the snowpulse and bca and they just didnt feel comfortable for me
all brands are good
yes the abs you have to do a cylinder and handle exchange as they are only filled by abs as they are nitrogen and not air and the handle has an explosive charge
that fires when activated

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Get the best bag that fits you! Best advice. Few corrections. ABS handle and canister are as one. The bottle gets refilled by us in house. The handle is recycled and when you bring a used bottle and handle in to a and dealer you get a refilled bottle and new handle in return. Cost is about 40.00. Many people think this is a hassle however what many experience is that when you now bring a snow pulse or bca into a shop to get refilled it takes them 25 minutes to refill it if they do it properly. So that take a person off the showroom floor to fill a bottle that makes them $15.00, many busy stores now just say leave it with us if they are busy. ABS takes as long as it does to punch money through. This is only done a few times a season so either way works great. Also many take them to a paintball shop and just remember if you were to jump out of a plane tomorrow would you take your parachute to be packed by a paintball worker, or the guy who is trained to do it. Take it to an authorized dealer. You also have to replace o-rings in the bca and snowpulse, it is done already by abs in house.
Another important thing to remember about which side your handle pull is on is...they were designed on left side as most people are right handed, sledders came up with the idea that you want to out run the slide and then let go of your left hand and pull the bag so many companies have switched them to the right side. There are two issues with this, if you think your going to outrun an avalanche fully pinned then take your left hand off the bars to pull your pack, you are dreaming, if you still think you can do it then take a motocross bike and ride it 3 rd gear pinned through the whoops and try and take your left hand off and release the bag, you will not be able to do it. There is no right or wrong to what side you want it on, just make sure you practise. I wear mine on my left side with abs and I can pull it with my right or left hand because it is a 2mm pull due to pneumatic handle. Secondly with someone mentioning bags not fully inflating, this is one of the main reasons we are seeing is guys try to outrun the avy then pull the bag, if you fall down then pull a bag, all of them might not fully inflate due to canister airbags are only filled 1/3 by the canister, the rest is venturi effect outside air and if you are on the ground they can suck enough air in. The same is true with arc'teryx and pieps as they are full outside air. So if you are ever caught or feel like you are in a slide or feel any weird movement etc, pull the air bag first! If it is small then your lucky, if you make it by riding out, then you are lucky, if you don't then your bag is already inflated. waiting to inflate to see if it is big or that you may make it out is the biggest mistake you can make after the one you made to be caught. So don't wait.
One last thing anyone with a canister airbag should have a spare canister in their truck and between their buddies , in case they arrive and forget to check their gauge and it says a low number or you accidentally set one off, you can reaload your pack right their, as your not driving back to the town or city, your going riding without the use of your expensive airbag...this is also in case you don't live next to a dealer or place to fill and also if those places are closed on sunday monday and you need a refill or exchange. There is no right or wrong, except if you do not know your own equipment and how it works! dave

why we fill abs in squamish bc now...
https://youtu.be/_VGwP1BMNJM

resetting the bag after testing or blow off
https://youtu.be/6HoRDmX4auA

deflating abs fast
https://youtu.be/yssO2Z97PUA

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recently had a chance to try the AlpRide system. This was in a Scott manufactured pack. Really like the AlpRide system with disposable cartridges. Also tried a Mammut bag with the Snowpulse RAS system. Both were 22L size. AlpRide system was noticeably lighter and I actually liked the Scott designed pack a bit better. Both were of good quality.

There seems to be a real wave of new avy bag systems and pack manufacturers releasing avy bags. Being told that numerous pack manufacturers will be releasing avy bags this winter. Lots of choice coming!

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd add that abs packs still have their release on the wrong shoulder (left side) making it awkward to pull in an emergency setting. Much easier to pull from right shoulder and still have throttle control

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recently had a chance to try the AlpRide system. This was in a Scott manufactured pack. Really like the AlpRide system with disposable cartridges. Also tried a Mammut bag with the Snowpulse RAS system. Both were 22L size. AlpRide system was noticeably lighter and I actually liked the Scott designed pack a bit better. Both were of good quality.

There seems to be a real wave of new avy bag systems and pack manufacturers releasing avy bags. Being told that numerous pack manufacturers will be releasing avy bags this winter. Lots of choice coming!

A friend has the Mammut with RAS and loves it as well

Last edited:

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good replies so far. Size, weight, and fit are key. Other considerations are dealer support in your area, and dedicated storage for a shovel and probe. I don't think the brand is particularly important as long as it's a reputable one.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd add that abs packs still have their release on the wrong shoulder (left side) making it awkward to pull in an emergency setting. Much easier to pull from right shoulder and still have throttle control

This is a myth...

See Norona's comments above

Top Bottom