Advice on buying new sleds

SurveyGirl

Reaction score
I just joined the forum today and did a post in the Introduce Yourself section.

I am looking to purchase 2 sleds for work, but would like to use them for recreation as well. I do land surveying in the oil and gas industry in Alberta mostly in the N/E portion (Fort Mac and Conklin). Seismic lines are where the sleds would be working. They would need to carry survey gear and chainsaw and may need to pull a sled behind one of them if needed. Much of my day will have the sleds starting and stopping. I weigh about 150 lbs and my field assistant is usually a guy who is about 200 lbs. I have a bit of sled experience, which will probably get better quickly with using them daily for work.

I was looking at the Bear Cats, but they are 50 inches wide and my sled deck on the truck is 100 inches wide. I was also told that they are quite heavy, but I am having trouble finding an accurate weight for them. Some other surveyors have recommended Ski-Doo Tundras or the Arctic Cat touring sleds.

I am trying to find a balance between power, weight, carrying and reliability. I would like to have reverse, electric and pull start to make my life easier. Don't know enough about the difference between 2/4 stroke and fan/liquid cooled as to be favoring either of these.

Thanks for any advice and help for this major purchase for me.
Michelle

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always ran the old style of tundras when I surveyed. Nice and light to spin around on a cut line and tough to bounce off trees and rocks. Tough to find them and people want a lot for an old sled

I haven't tried it out yet, but the tundra extreme has a 600 etec engine and seems to be built for work. May be sporty enough for fun.
A tundra LT with 550 2 stroke is probably your best bet. I may pick up one or two this winter

LID

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the new Etec Tundra extreme would be the sled for you im thinkin

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your time just get the tundra Extreme. It is Exactly what you're looking for,, work and play sled. This is the only sled intended for work/play that im aware of.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the cooling like on the extreme though? Is it okay I run on the road lots or does it need to be in the snow?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% tundra extreme. If My survey company didn't have such a small budget for sleds ( don't oilfield survey) they would have been extremes. We have tundra fan 550s and bravo 250 Yamahas. While they work awesome for work they just aren't fun lol. If recreational wasn't a factor I'd say 550 tundras because they are good value for $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the cooling like on the extreme though? Is it okay I run on the road lots or does it need to be in the snow?
I don't think they need much snow. should be ok. But you have other sleds for play. Might be better off with a fan cooled for work.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started with a 340 Indy lite, great sled but not what i would call sporty. sold it and bought a 700 rmk, a little over kill to survey with but I got to where I was going quick.

I have tried the tundra 550 fan and 600 etec side by side and the 600 was a lot better.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy the site.

Sent from my iPhone using a couple fingers.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RUN from Bearcats..had one at my last workplace...had a 570 in it, can't recall the track length and width though. HEAVY, poor handling on and off trail, and really not that comfortable. Just a miserable sled in my opinion. Have a pair of 13 Doo Skandic 550s at the new shop. Should be a lot nicer to get on the BRP's.

The Tundra extreme looks like a cool rig.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 2 bearcat xts the last couple years for checking observation wells and will be not using them again this year. They are much too heavy and awkward. The positive about them is the 18" wide track that gives good flotation but if you do get stuck..... game over. Most of my operators are not sled heads and once stuck with no large trees around to winch from that was it. I will be running rangers with tracks and cabs this year. Before purchasing look into labour standards as I got my pee pee slapped last year for sending guys too far out without a "shelter" option in the case of a break down. This is why I have to go with sxs with tracks and cabs and argos.

watthead

Reaction score
Go with the Ski-doo Tundra LT with the 600 ace engine. Light machine and there built to pack gear. Electric fan makes sure you don't overheat the engine. 4 stroke, so just an oil change at the end of the season, and runs on 87 octane gas. I used a renegade 600 ace last year for surveying, couldn't believe the mileage I got compared to my other sled witch was a 600 H.O.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am an environmental consultant and work with surveyors all the time in the lloydminster area. Hands down Then tundra is the best suited work sled for your line of work and even the 500fan cooled tundra goes pretty good. The 600 would be awesome!!!! That super wide track and narrow ski stance makes it a fun sled to whip around.

Top Bottom