Acetylene Explosion

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got this in an email from my uncle today. If what is in the email is true, stupidity knows no bounds....

This happened in Regina Tuesday morning (29 November 2011) I guess. Here is what the owner said:

So my time almost came to an end this morning... I'm very lucky to be alive.

I had an acetylene bottle in my truck , the valve was bumped so slightly and over night the truck filled with the gas. I noticed the smell , and opened the doors to air out the truck. I drove the truck out of the garage to get some more air movement.

I went to roll the pass side window down and as soon as I touched the power windows. BAM - with me in the truck.

I lost all hearing out of my right ear and got a scratch on the back of my head. All things considering , I'm alive.

Pictures tell 1000 words.

Don't take any minutes or seconds you have for granted... it may be your last...

toyota1.jpg

toyota7.jpg

toyota8.jpg

toyota6.jpg

toyota5.jpg

toyota4.jpg

toyota3.jpg

toyota2.jpg

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely appears to be the Regina SGI salvage lot.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I go to a lot of accidents and do vehicle extrication.
Air bags usually deploy when trigged by a accelerometer detecting forward speed change. Also the black line on the winshield look like a cut we use in extrication.
Also no burn marks?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I go to a lot of accidents and do vehicle extrication.
Air bags usually deploy when trigged by a accelerometer detecting forward speed change. Also the black line on the winshield look like a cut we use in extrication.
Also no burn marks?
hence my disclaimer....was hoping some of our saskie members could confirm the story. there was a pressure release from inside the vehicle of some kind

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If he was inside when that blew up he would be six feet under
got this in an email from my uncle today. If what is in the email is true, stupidity knows no bounds....

this happened in regina tuesday morning (29 november 2011) i guess. Here is what the owner said:

so my time almost came to an end this morning... I'm very lucky to be alive.

I had an acetylene bottle in my truck , the valve was bumped so slightly and over night the truck filled with the gas. I noticed the smell , and opened the doors to air out the truck. I drove the truck out of the garage to get some more air movement.

i went to roll the pass side window down and as soon as i touched the power windows. Bam - with me in the truck.

i lost all hearing out of my right ear and got a scratch on the back of my head. All things considering , i'm alive.

Pictures tell 1000 words.

don't take any minutes or seconds you have for granted... It may be your last...

toyota1.jpg

toyota7.jpg

toyota8.jpg

toyota6.jpg

toyota5.jpg

toyota4.jpg

toyota3.jpg

toyota2.jpg

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the wifes FJ when she takes it up the cut line...............
Had this happen to a good friend of mine many years ago in Fort Mac. His buddy Was thawing out a door on his one ton service rig with a tiger torch,and the cabinet never had vents...... Blew his buddy to pieces and my buddy was dead on the chopper twice,yet pulled thru some how.....He was never the same after though. They (acy) are a bomb when they blow up it looks like.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://www.sgi.sk.ca/lcgi/salvage_bid_site/comp_details.cgi?stock_num=R116530&store=Regina

Year:
Item: FJ CRUISER
VIN Number: JTEBU11F28K015827

Stock #: R116530
Kilometers: 57000

Particulars:

4.0L, AUTO, 4WD, YELLOW, KEY, AIR BAGS DAMAGED. FIRE/EXPLOSION DAMAGE TO VEHICLE
** UNIT MAY NOT BE EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED OR AS IT APPEARS IN PHOTOS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED IN PERSON

Type of Damage: Fire

Type of Inspection: Requires Structural & Mechanical Inspections

Reserve Bid: $ 3,000.00
Sales Taxes (PST & GST) – will be added if applicable.

Closing Date: Jan 18 2012

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks frikkin nasty. We used to make oxy and acetylene bombs...put an upside down beer can on the bench with the hole off the side, give it a quick puff of oxy and acetylene, light it, and blow the can through the gyproc on a 12' ceiling. It was pretty loud, I can't imagine what the entire bottle going off would sound like.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't quite put my finger on it, but you are right.... I was on Lac Ste. Anne District 2 FRS, and this looks more like a VEx then a explosion in some areas.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You wonder how someone could survive that? I'm more interested how some people can jump from a plane and fall thousands of feet and hit the ground and survive... I live just outside Regina, and i never heard anything about it, i did drive by and see that yellow little tin can though. Definitely not a truck.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im thinking you would of heard about it
You wonder how someone could survive that? I'm more interested how some people can jump from a plane and fall thousands of feet and hit the ground and survive... I live just outside Regina, and i never heard anything about it, i did drive by and see that yellow little tin can though. Definitely not a truck.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was gas, looks more like CBSA looking for your undeclared beer so they could tax it....

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have trouble believing there was enough pressure in the vehicle to blow the doors off, but not kill someone.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting that there doesn't appear to be any fire damage. No burn marks, melted plastic - nuthin. Interesting technique to use acetylene for a rapid extrication. Just wonder how they would train for that...

Albeit, expensive, how ever it would be the most effective and fastest acting laxative you could ever find. Just sayin....

Last edited:
Top Bottom