Accessories and......dead weight?

i ford i

Reaction score
I recently bought me a 2012 can am xmr (LOVE IT), but its the first 4 wheeler that I have officially owned, been riding family and friends for a good portion of my life, anyways,

It has come to my mind, I need some storage racks and the like to carry goodies with me like tools/food/gas for the long haul trips because right now, I have little to none. I'm not sure I want to put a huge trunk on the back but, nothing is knocked out until I see the options.

Keep in mind the XMR has the rad relocated on the front so the front rack doesnt have much room to spare other then maybe a small can on each side. Debating to get my brother (welder) to craft me a custom for the front, but such a new machine deserves some nice accessories, not the backyard special, in a couple years when shes ran down..... sure why not.

Wanted someproducts you folks are all living by to guide me in the right direction so i'm not buying junk.

Just wanted some people to float their opinions/products. Thanks in advance.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the large trunk built by BMP that is attatched with a latch. If I don't need it I can take it off. I have tools, safety blanket first aid kit oil spare boots(cv joint) and of course TP. The quad is already heavy not sure the extra weight is that noticeable.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use an ogio bag on the rear of my xmr, its lightweight, and considering it isnt plastic it is the most waterproof rear storage ive ever used. The magnets work awesome, and their is lots of room inside, it comes with 2 insulated drink holders, and 2 small coolers that mount to the front sides of the bag , love it.

ogio.jpg

tool_man

Reaction score
Paint some ammo boxes for each side of the rad on the front, looks good and good waterproof storage. Works very well on our cats!

i ford i

Reaction score
I use an ogio bag on the rear of my xmr, its lightweight, and considering it isnt plastic it is the most waterproof rear storage ive ever used. The magnets work awesome, and their is lots of room inside, it comes with 2 insulated drink holders, and 2 small coolers that mount to the front sides of the bag , love it.

View attachment 125648

I was looking at that online last night actually, only one that seems quality, and I have several OGIO bags for luggage, good quality stuff. How much room is leftover, i see that extra flap there for a cushioned seat but if i were to buy a seat for the back of it would it be able to double both? Not saying thats the plan as of now, but lifes funny yknow.

Paint some ammo boxes for each side of the rad on the front, looks good and good waterproof storage. Works very well on our cats!

Thats actually a great idea, I'll look into that, i was worried about putting something there because it might get hot or something (never know) or the chafe. But metal cases sound like a good idea.

Thanks

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at that online last night actually, only one that seems quality, and I have several OGIO bags for luggage, good quality stuff. How much room is leftover, i see that extra flap there for a cushioned seat but if i were to buy a seat for the back of it would it be able to double both? Not saying thats the plan as of now, but lifes funny yknow.

Thats actually a great idea, I'll look into that, i was worried about putting something there because it might get hot or something (never know) or the chafe. But metal cases sound like a good idea.

Thanks
that extra cushion seat that you see in the pic comes with it, it sits basically right on top of the rear compartment of the xmr, i keep mine on although i never have a passenger, its kinda nice when you want to kick back with your feet on the handlebars and lean back and have a bevvy........

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the ogio bag for the front of my quad but not sure how waterproof they are. I've never seen one in person, and I'm not even sure where to find them locally?

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mine from wetaskiwin motor sports, i find it more waterproof then a kimpex or any other that we have used. Even though around the upper lid has a magnet , i sure works good, i was very surprised. I mean its not totally waterproof, but most all of them weap here and there. I tend to get into some deep mudholes on my xmr, and ive yet to take on any noticeable amount of water in mine.

i ford i

Reaction score
Ya, i'm going to shop around when i get a chance and see if i can get a deal, my brother has the camo ogio for the front of his grizzly and he likes it. I also gotta look at some skid plates. You got any on your rig or any recommendations?

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i have them installed on my quad, was the first thing to be put on. Riccochet is by far the way to go, they make a set specifically for the xmr with the silverbacks, cost was 320 bucks i think

i ford i

Reaction score
beer is a must have Accessorie...lol

Correct you are,

Storm you order those online or what? I cant find a good a deal as that anywhere. Best I come up with is 430 shipping included for a full set from ricochet and thats online.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I had my dealer order them in for me, or you can order them direct

i ford i

Reaction score
Ya thanks,

As for the bag in the back i just order the ogio one online, Was going to give the business to my dealer but they didn't even carry it,

So got it for 222 shipping included. I work out of town so I don't mind ordering online to be there when i get home, otherwise i'm like a child.... WANT IT NOW. haha.

Now i gotta figure out the gas can situation, what does everyone thing of those rotopax? site doesnt give much explanation on the utility and where to put them, just pictures of mounts that all look the same, See some youtube posts but cant watch youtube at work. Any input on win/fail?

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
il build you whatever you need and make it lok n ride or canam lock n ride compatible. just need the machine to find the best spot

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya thanks,

As for the bag in the back i just order the ogio one online, Was going to give the business to my dealer but they didn't even carry it,

So got it for 222 shipping included. I work out of town so I don't mind ordering online to be there when i get home, otherwise i'm like a child.... WANT IT NOW. haha.

Now i gotta figure out the gas can situation, what does everyone thing of those rotopax? site doesnt give much explanation on the utility and where to put them, just pictures of mounts that all look the same, See some youtube posts but cant watch youtube at work. Any input on win/fail?
I carry one of those small jerry cans right in the bag, it easily fits more then one, but ive rarely ever needed extra gas

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking at the ogio bag for the front of my quad but not sure how waterproof they are. I've never seen one in person, and I'm not even sure where to find them locally?
retro cycle in red deer can order you anything you want for the quads, their the only people i deal with in red deer

i ford i

Reaction score
I carry one of those small jerry cans right in the bag, it easily fits more then one, but ive rarely ever needed extra gas

sounds like a plan, wondered what I could fit in there, I think that will do for now but the summer, I have family that has some land up in long lake area, they say its a solid day trip on the trails they head to so bring alot of gas, I spent the day riding a week and a half ago and came back with a quarter tank. Mostly trail riding too. Not sure how to gauge how it burns fuel yet but its break it stage, and it takes some juice to turn those tires im sure. But on any event thanks for the help with all of that storm, much appreciated.

il build you whatever you need and make it lok n ride or canam lock n ride compatible. just need the machine to find the best spot

I would like to find something i could fit on the front rack, wondering if i could get like 2 army surplus metal jerry cans or something similar of the sort, I havent had the quad very long, and im out of town working right now so i can't simple run into the garage and size it up so easily. What you have in mind though?

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like a plan, wondered what I could fit in there, I think that will do for now but the summer, I have family that has some land up in long lake area, they say its a solid day trip on the trails they head to so bring alot of gas, I spent the day riding a week and a half ago and came back with a quarter tank. Mostly trail riding too. Not sure how to gauge how it burns fuel yet but its break it stage, and it takes some juice to turn those tires im sure. But on any event thanks for the help with all of that storm, much appreciated.

I would like to find something i could fit on the front rack, wondering if i could get like 2 army surplus metal jerry cans or something similar of the sort, I havent had the quad very long, and im out of town working right now so i can't simple run into the garage and size it up so easily. What you have in mind though?

If you ordered the bag from ogio ( the one in the pic i posted ) you will be pleasently surprised at how much you can tote around in it, as far as fuel well most of out trips are 8-10 hour with alot of mud for good measure, and ive only come close to running out of fuel once, my xmr ran with the light blinking for 3 hours , but dont take my word for it, better to kind of figure it out depending on your own riding habbits. After about 16-20 hours you will find the fuel economy will get better, i think i only got 75 km out of my first tank, but then again i was hill climbing and playing in skeg. Enjoy the ride bud, its a beast of a machine

Top Bottom