Acceleration explained!!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Acceleration explained (although a little dated)

One Top Fuel dragster outfitted with a 500 cubic-inch replica Dodge (actually Keith Black, etc) Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows at NASCAR's Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine will consume 11.2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded Boeing 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate but with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lockup at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane, the Flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. Which is typically the output of an electric arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way thru the run, the engine is 'dieseling' from compression and the glow of the exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with enough sufficient force to blow the cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half!

Dragsters reach over 300+ MPH

Before
you
have
completed
reading
this
sentence.

In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, a dragster must accelerate an average of over 4 G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before reaching half-track, at launch the acceleration approaches 8 G's.

Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light! Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load. The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

0 to 100 MPH in 0.8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run) 0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)

6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing accelerates faster on land). 6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin 'chutes at 300 MPH

An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on Earth... quicker than a jet fighter plane...quicker than the space shuttle....or snapping your fingers.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.420 seconds for the quarter-mile (2004, Doug Kalitta). The top speed record is 337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66' of the run (2005, Tony Schumacher).

Let's now put this all into perspective:

Imagine this...........You are driving a new $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z-06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to 'launch' down a quarter-mile s trip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard, on up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH.... The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that exact moment. The dragster departs & starts after you. You keep your foot buried hard to the floor, and suddenly you hear an incredibly brutally screaming whine that sears and pummels your eardrums & within a mere 3 seconds the dragster effortlessly catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH.....and it not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the planet when he passed you within a mere
1320 foot long race !

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very Interesting...........and very expensive sport!
catmando!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I had no idea. Now I have to go see these things in action.:eek:

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought 1000hp was rediculous, this is even better haha. Read this before, if you search on youtube long enough there is a video of what a fuel pump on one of these things does at full throttle, it looks like a fire hose at full blast...

Gotta love the sport tho, funny even in the smaller circuits you spend 10k just to gain another .1 in the 1/4......

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
think it would catch the ROCKSTAR truck though?:alol2::rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Overkill 19

I was 12 years old and was racing peddle bikes when an opportunity to go for my first airplane ride came up, I remember the feeling of the jet taking off and wanted to feel that acceleration while driving something....I have since drag raced car's, raced on a Slalom course dirt, paved and on ice, raced motocross, cross country, and sleds ….from the first time I heard an announcer holler out

“ Do you feel the need for speed” I was hooked….

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Under full throttle, a dragster engine will consume 11.2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded Boeing 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate but with 25% less energy being produced.

Hmmm I have yet to see a dragster with a 50G fuel cell.......sure it's not 11.2G per run?

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or as much static electricity as i get when i get out of this stupid chair:alarm::stretcher::bdog::surrender:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This part pretty much sum's it up for me!

"A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger. "

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never been a top speed freak (too much can go wrong too fast) but pure acceleration does it for me every time. Awesome post.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard somewhere that a misfire in a Top Fuel engine while on the track will upset the exhaust pressure enough to push the car into the other lane or into the wall.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dragster would blow by the vette alright, but it would be very close at the finish line. I used the 4.42 seconds current record then a simple velocity of 200 mph (vette) for the entire 1/4 mile. 200 mph divided by 3600 seconds per hour equals .055555 miles per second for the vette. Multiply .055555 miles by 4.42 seconds and you get .245555 miles. Divide .24555 by .25 (1/4 mile) equals .9822. Multiply 1320 feet (1/4 mile) by .982 and you get 1296.24 feet. This is where the dragster will pass the vette or if you like 23.76 feet from the finish. Just another useless point to ponder, hope I didn't bore anyone.

Cheers;
Shane

Top Bottom