Here’s what fuel targets have done to EV predictions

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
September 3, 2021 by Adam Malik

Here’s what fuel targets have done to EV predictions​

With governments around the world setting new targets around vehicle electrification and reducing the number of internal combustion engines on roads, electric vehicles sales numbers are going to skyrocket, says a new report.

Worldwide sales of electric vehicles in 2021 are estimated to reach 5.3 million units, predicts Frost & Sullivan. Furthermore, battery electric vehicles will lead the way with a market share of 66 per cent.

But it’s not just government targets that are leading the charge, Frost & Sullivan attributes growth to consumers increasingly preferring to go the electric vehicle route, as well as the increase in vehicle charging stations being installed. At the end of July, Canada announced more than 850 such stations across the country.

The sale of 5.3 million electric vehicles —battery electric and plug-in hybrids — means these vehicles will make up 6.1% of the passenger vehicle market, the firm noted in an announcement.

Tesla will be the brand leader while China will be the top country for sales and Europe the top region.

IMG_E4093-1024x768.jpg

The electric vehicle Chevrolet Volt at the 2019 Canadian International Auto Show.
“Ambitious targets such as net-zero emissions by 2050 will continue to drive the proliferation of EVs despite the change in the driving behaviour of consumers resulting from the pandemic,” said Prajyot Sathe, Frost & Sullivan’s research manager in its mobility practice. “The global push toward electrification and fuel economy leads to ever-stringent emissions norms, which have resulted in some regions such as Europe already committing to internal combustion engine (ICE) bans, while others are working toward specific commitments.”

He also noted that original equipment manufacturers are working on extending the charging rates of vehicles through the introduction of new-generation lithium-ion battery technology. The would allow ultra-fast charging up to 400kW. The typical charging rate of an electric vehicle is currently twice the battery capacity — so a 50kW battery will have a 100kW charging rate.

“However, by 2025, the charging rate will increase to thrice the battery capacity due to technological advancements allowing a 100kWh battery pack to charge at 300 kW, which is called ultra-fast charging,” he explained.

Frost & Sullivan observed that electric vehicles will make up about 10-15% of the total overall passenger car segment by 2025.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this, so it is going here. I have an electic trolling motor 30lb thrust, dam thing kills a good marine battery in about 1-2 hrs of running. So i order a waterproof lithium 150ah out of china, comes with a nice handle...dam heavy though.. about 30lbs. It has 99% charge on it so off i go for a test, 30 minutes full speed and 30minutes medium to low speed. The battery indicator showed 94% charge. Just over 700 dollars.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do tou have a link to the battery, or where you got it from?
Not sure where to put this, so it is going here. I have an electic trolling motor 30lb thrust, dam thing kills a good marine battery in about 1-2 hrs of running. So i order a waterproof lithium 150ah out of china, comes with a nice handle...dam heavy though.. about 30lbs. It has 99% charge on it so off i go for a test, 30 minutes full speed and 30minutes medium to low speed. The battery indicator showed 94% charge. Just over 700 dollars.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like the 300ah is the same size as the 150ah. I would have bought this one had i known what i know now. It should hold twice the charge.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have to ship this thing on a ship, to dangerous on planes so expect a long wait to get it. It was twice as big as i thought it would be. They have a 300ah battery as well for $928 not to much heavier.

Thanks a lot! I was looking at some lithium batteries on Ali Express but wasn’t too sure they’d be any good. Nice to see someone who has first hand experience with them.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting that China will lead the way in electric sales. Aren’t they building something like 40 coal plants a year? green not so green.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting that China will lead the way in electric sales. Aren’t they building something like 40 coal plants a year? green not so green.
gotta do something to charge all those electric batteries, they aint gonna do it themselves.

Top Bottom