ABS Powder Backpack - Review

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this is the DT avy that you are talking about...it doesn't look like he is wearing a pack, so probably no bearing on his survival...just sayin' :)

DAN TREADWAY AVALANCHE BCA PSA - YouTube

Guess it wasnt Dan or wasnt this footage think hes been caught a couple times. Footage was from 8 min complete burial. Might have been the one that gave me night mares with the animal noises before he passes out. Still rather be breathin air than nitrogen jus my opinion.

Thanks like seein Dan ride even when chit goes bad like train wreck style.

p.s

D.T you should be back on a Doo like in the footage and not on a Poo, Doo's loss LOL.

Last edited:

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Guess it wasnt Dan or wasnt this footage think hes been caught a couple times. Footage was from 8 min complete burial. Might have been the one that gave me night mares with the animal noises before he passes out. Still rather be breathin air than nitrogen jus my opinion.

Thanks like seein Dan ride even when chit goes bad like train wreck style.

p.s

D.T you should be back on a Doo like in the footage and not on a Poo, Doo's loss LOL.[/QUOTE

this is the only major slide he had been caught in, and like I said before you may hate breathing in Nitrogen but unfortunately every time you take a breathe ur breathing in 78% nitrogen as that is the make up of the air we breathe every day, you'll have to hold your breathe forever if u do t like that particular gas. :)

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is the only major slide he had been caught in, and like I said before you may hate breathing in Nitrogen but unfortunately every time you take a breathe ur breathing in 78% nitrogen as that is the make up of the air we breathe every day, you'll have to hold your breathe forever if u do t like that particular gas. :)

Pretty sure he's more concerned with the lack of oxygen than the presence of nitrogen! :doh:

unimog

Reaction score
There is not way a snow pulse wrapped around your shoulder is going to save your neck and spine, the only thing that will do that is a helmet and neck brace, sorry, just the facts.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Where are these facts you speak of? It wouldn't have anything to do that you are sponsored by ABS?

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Where are these facts you speak of? It wouldn't have anything to do that you are sponsored by ABS?

Yes sponsored, also by BCA could have any bag I want really, like anything I choose my sponsors based on products I want to use, not what someone gives me, the answer is the same for ABS, the air bags are not designed to protect you nor will they, nor should you count on that, and we use the strongest bags and biggest in the industry. Obviously everyone will choose their brand much like I have but there are a lot of false claims out there and information that is untrue or not the way it is, I will always put my 2 cents in with the training and experience that I have.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
During inflation....ambient air (2/3 by volume) is also drawn into the bag, so if oxygen is a concern - there will be plenty.

excellent point and this is how every airbag works...1/3 by canister and 2/3 by venturi system with outside air, and scrubbers ensure that no snow or moisture is sucked in...

unimog

Reaction score
Yes sponsored, also by BCA could have any bag I want really, like anything I choose my sponsors based on products I want to use, not what someone gives me, the answer is the same for ABS, the air bags are not designed to protect you nor will they, nor should you count on that, and we use the strongest bags and biggest in the industry. Obviously everyone will choose their brand much like I have but there are a lot of false claims out there and information that is untrue or not the way it is, I will always put my 2 cents in with the training and experience that I have.

Fair enough, I have an abs bag as well because I like how it is modular and light weight. But I can see how a design like the snowpulse would have some added protection for your head.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I have an abs bag as well because I like how it is modular and light weight. But I can see how a design like the snowpulse would have some added protection for your head.

I want to be able to Look around and have a free range of Motion if I am ever in an Avalance, I don't want some pillow wrapped around my helmet, blocking my view and pushing up on my helmet almost
Pulling it off. I want two airbags incase one is popped, I still have a back Up.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to be able to Look around and have a free range of Motion if I am ever in an Avalance, I don't want some pillow wrapped around my helmet, blocking my view and pushing up on my helmet almost
Pulling it off. I want two airbags incase one is popped, I still have a back Up.
From what I have heard and read if you are caught in an avy you don't have time to be looking around anyway. I think the extra protection around head and neck can only help.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jus the facts man

The Snowpulse Lifebag contains a compressed air cylinder which, when deployed by the wearer, inflates a large airbag contained within the backpack arount the head and thorax of the avalanche victim. This airbag essentially acts like a massive lifejacket in a sea of snow. there are two reasons this works. 1) The inflated airbag makes you bigger. In an avalanche, bigger particles end up on the surface and smaller particles on the bottom. The second reason is because an airabag greatly reduces your overall density making you lighter than the surrounding snow mass; therefore, you essentially float to the surface.

Yes, in fact ICAR (International Commission of Alpine Rescue) has called an avalanche airbag "the device of choice". The following information is provided from Time is Life DVD, edited and approved by the International Commission of Alpine Rescue. ICAR – MEDCOM, CISA-IKAR Avalanche Commission. SWISS Stats. 2005
Examined 2000 Avalanche incidents and found the following:
Overall 22% mortality rate.
Only 4.4% of people who were not buried, or only partially buried died!
51.3% chance of death for people who were completely buried.
Likely that partial burials go unreported lowering the 4.4%.
Now for the Airbag statistics:
1991-2004: 77 reports of airbag inflation.
76 Survived, 1 Died
10 completely buried but airbags were visible on the surface.

The same avalanches caught 25 people who were not wearing airbags. Of these 12 were completely buried, 9 were found dead.
Airbags lowered the probability of a complete burial from 47.1% to 13% and the mortality rate 35.3% to 1.3%!
ICAR conclusion : Statistical evidence for airbags is good to very good. “It is the device of choice”.
Point of Interest: Same study revealed transceivers reduced the median burial time 170-20 minutes, but the mortality rate only 79% to 50%!
Avalanche airbags are the only way to help reduce the chance of being buried and greatly increase an avalanche victims chance of survival.

The Snowpulse Lifebag helps to keep an avalanche victim on the surface as well as protecting them from trauma therefore greatly increasing their chance of survival.

Now thats some good chit there.

p.s.

I don't sell Snowpulse

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy did this become a pissing match... People need to realize all these manufactures of bags increase your chance of survival. Wearing any of the 3 is just that. It's no guarantee, people need to use there own judgement. There's a risk with what we do, but with the proper terrain choices and the proper education people should be able to make smart choices. It seems big ego's have a lot to do with it. My personal opinion is I would ride with either snowpulse or the abs, with bca's massive recall I have to say I have doubts about there bag....

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jus the facts man

The Snowpulse Lifebag contains a compressed air cylinder which, when deployed by the wearer, inflates a large airbag contained within the backpack arount the head and thorax of the avalanche victim. This airbag essentially acts like a massive lifejacket in a sea of snow. there are two reasons this works. 1) The inflated airbag makes you bigger. In an avalanche, bigger particles end up on the surface and smaller particles on the bottom. The second reason is because an airabag greatly reduces your overall density making you lighter than the surrounding snow mass; therefore, you essentially float to the surface.

Yes, in fact ICAR (International Commission of Alpine Rescue) has called an avalanche airbag "the device of choice". The following information is provided from Time is Life DVD, edited and approved by the International Commission of Alpine Rescue. ICAR – MEDCOM, CISA-IKAR Avalanche Commission. SWISS Stats. 2005
Examined 2000 Avalanche incidents and found the following:
Overall 22% mortality rate.
Only 4.4% of people who were not buried, or only partially buried died!
51.3% chance of death for people who were completely buried.
Likely that partial burials go unreported lowering the 4.4%.
Now for the Airbag statistics:
1991-2004: 77 reports of airbag inflation.
76 Survived, 1 Died
10 completely buried but airbags were visible on the surface.

The same avalanches caught 25 people who were not wearing airbags. Of these 12 were completely buried, 9 were found dead.
Airbags lowered the probability of a complete burial from 47.1% to 13% and the mortality rate 35.3% to 1.3%!
ICAR conclusion : Statistical evidence for airbags is good to very good. “It is the device of choice”.
Point of Interest: Same study revealed transceivers reduced the median burial time 170-20 minutes, but the mortality rate only 79% to 50%!
Avalanche airbags are the only way to help reduce the chance of being buried and greatly increase an avalanche victims chance of survival.

The Snowpulse Lifebag helps to keep an avalanche victim on the surface as well as protecting them from trauma therefore greatly increasing their chance of survival.

Now thats some good chit there.

p.s.

I don't sell Snowpulse

Good stats that I believe pertain to airbags in general and not any one specific brand.

FYI - we can sell whatever brands we desire - ABS just happens to be our brand of choice and what we choose to endorse. We don't sell products because we have to, but because we choose to. So, the fact that you don't sell Snowpulse has no bearing here.

Like previously mentioned - this was meant to be an informative review for those that haven't had a chance to try a lighter weight, but functional Avy bag. I hope that people had a chance to get something educational from both the intent of this thread and the derail that it has become.

Everyone is entitled to use what they choose, but maybe think of starting your own constructive thread on why. Snowpulse has a great system, but I still firmly believe that the ABS system is more refined. Use whatever you want...just use something.

Top Bottom