ABS Powder Backpack - Review

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ken...It really does come down to personal preference. I used a BCA for a couple of years, but it felt like a suitcase on my back...not to mention that I am not a fan of the cable actuation. And, the Snowpulse feels way too bulky for me. I wear an ABS Vario 30 packed to the brim and I honestly don't even know it's there. Although, I come from a backcountry touring background, so I really appreciate a well put together pack and suspension system. Too many people ride with too much stuff attached to their sled and not enough in their pack.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Ken! They do all work...some just differently than others (similar principals, but different concepts). This wasn't intended to be a competition, but simply a review on a pack. But, this is typical S & M style:) If you are happy with your Snowpulse - that is awesome!! We are just happy that people are protecting themselves. Why don't you take the time to do a little research and write a good review on it. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Did it hurt to swallow that Kev

After looking back at this response think I might owe you one now for your self rightous yap.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it works for you Kev great mine works for me. I looked into the 2 systems that were available when I bought mine and went with the one that I liked. Look at it this way. You ride a Poo and wear ABS I ride a Doo and wear Snowpulse and all is right in the universe. I dont really care what avy pack peeps r using just that they r being used. Keep up with the self rightousness Kev it suits u.

I'm far from self righteous Jay, but thanks:) Have a read over your original reply to what was intended to be an informative review on a certain pack. As usual...you turned it into something else...keep up the good work!!

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many people ride with too much stuff attached to their sled and not enough in their pack.

Well Kevin....most of my stuff's on my sled rather than my back, and I'll be moving some more of it once I get my new Powderkeg box. I won't apologize for that either. I go out to have fun, not be uncomfortable all day long. A heavy pack.....any pack really....aggravates my bad neck, sore ankles, and weak knees making me uncomfortable.

Bashers feel free to jump all over me now. :)

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Well Kevin....most of my stuff's on my sled rather than my back, and I'll be moving some more of it once I get my new Powderkeg box. I won't apologize for that either. I go out to have fun, not be uncomfortable all day long. A heavy pack.....any pack really....aggravates my bad neck, sore ankles, and weak knees making me uncomfortable.

Bashers feel free to jump all over me now. :)

No bashing please, this is a civil and informative thread.
HRT is a respected supplier and they know their stuff.
It truly is a personal choice but to make that choice you need education and that is what I see happening here.
Good Sled'n to all.

Sent from my phone ---- is anyone listening ?

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SBR is correct. It is a personal choice and it is all about what you and the rest of your riding group are comfortable with.

Now....can we please get back to regularly scheduled programming!!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
SBR is correct. It is a personal choice and it is all about what you and the rest of your riding group are comfortable with.

Now that's good info.....
"Now....can we please get back to regularly scheduled programming"

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that's good info.....
"Now....can we please get back to regularly scheduled programming"

Good idea. I really should get some work done! :D Gotta stop making these threads so interesting before I get fired!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

So Kevin, is there a web site that compares the different bags to better educate the buyers.
The one thing we both agree on, it is a "Must" for riding the Mountains.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Kevin, is there a web site that compares the different bags to better educate the buyers.

There we go a winner!!!!!!!!!! The AVY Pack challenge event complete with catagories strenght, time to deploy, extreme conditions test warm, cold. Rock drop sharp object insertion test preasure required to puncture. Lets see if the manufacturers want to show us instead of banter.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of research and testing with abs airbags and first off the way the bag inflates has nothing to do how you will end up in the snow, if you think your going to slide nice and comfy on your back because the bag is higher up or float on your front or flat if the bags come out of the side, you have no idea what and avalanche is like. If you have ever been surfing in 5-10 foot waves which can easily destroy a person then you only know 1/4 of what being in a slide feels like. The way you end up in the debris at the bottom is shear luck. Also the abs new bags are 3x the strength of any other bag on the market. They are high tensile river raft material with fully kevlar lining. We tried to pop one last season by driving a ford f350 over one and it did not pop, but just got severely distorted. Although their strength air bags are not designed to protect you from objects. There is not way a snow pulse wrapped around your shoulder is going to save your neck and spine, the only thing that will do that is a helmet and neck brace, sorry, just the facts. The other advantage of side airbags is that you have full visual while they are inflated and one bag in the abs system is enough to float you. If one gets destroyed by hitting a tree or sliding over rock then with a one bag system you have nothing, with abs you have two so if one is damaged the other is fully capable of floating a human. Also on the breathing aspect. Airbags only have to stay inflated for 3 minutes to do their job, however pretty much most bags will stay inflated for much longer and not sure how you are going to breath that air that is in the bag since if your buried you won't be able to move at all and if your not which, if your wearing a bag should help then you can breathe the open air, and if you can breathe the air we breathe is actually 78% nitrogen and 21% (The most common gas in the air we breathe is Nitrogen gas. Nitrogen makes about 78% of air, oxygen makes about 21% whereas hydrogen gas makes up a very small percentage and is only found at trace levels in the atmosphere.)

This is a great post on the powder line above but wanted to correct a few things as there is a lot of facts that are put out there that are just not true. The most important thing is to buy something you trust, feels comfortable in. Cheers dave

Snowpulse has been balistic nylon since inception.
Cheers J

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There hope that will satisfy all, I think we all put a bit of effort into 1k plus purchase so really anyone wearing one is a responsible back country rider who shows they are concerned with their safety and concern of their loved ones. They will all do basically the same thing allow you a little bit better chance of surviving a serious avy emphesis on LITTLE bit. Terrain will be the main factor on survival potential if your caught in a terrain trap with 20 feet of pack ontop of you aint gonna matter what pack your wearing. Wanna see I got pics.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have never found a site dedicated to this, but there are multiple independent reviews. Do a Google search, there are many reviews out there.

A few things that we took into consideration when choosing a brand to sell are:

• Time in Industry
  • Type of fill gas
  • Activation trigger (pneumatic vs cable)
  • Weight of packs
  • Style of pack Suspension
  • Versatility (being able to change zip-ons)
  • Durability
  • Reliability

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah nah I'll take the mono bag SNOWPULSE that puts my head and neck in cspine and when deflated allows me to breath what has been released from the bag as opposed to breathing nitrogen.
I did purchase the ABS bag and aftterwards I was very surprised to find out that the bag inflated with N2 instead of air. More attention to detail my my part next time. Other than that I hope only to test my Avy Bag a couple times a year as reccomended and stay out of the avalanches.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did purchase the ABS bag and aftterwards I was very surprised to find out that the bag inflated with N2 instead of air. More attention to detail my my part next time. Other than that I hope only to test my Avy Bag a couple times a year as reccomended and stay out of the avalanches.

Theirs no way that pocket of air is gonna save your life.. Doesn't matter wether it's packed with N2 or air.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what people really have to figure out with manufacturers campaigns is; what is true and what is fluff. The ability to breathe the air from your bag is a myth. The amount of compression put upon your chest from avy snow makes it almost impossible to fill your lungs with anything, and that's neglecting the fact that your mouth will probably be full of snow. I know this, because I was once 4' under avy debris for 10 minutes. I had an air pocket in front of my mouth, but I couldn't even begin to think about filling my lungs with air. And, my avy was quite a loose snow avy. It is also doubtful that a bag will save you from any sort of blunt force trauma. Avy's can travel at significant speeds...I was booking it at 140 kmph on a T-Nytro when I got hit, and it swallowed me up like I was standing still. IMO the c-spine hold and ability to breath the air is just a manufacturers advertising tool. What is going to save your life...is not being buried in the first place, which should be the sole reason any of us wear avy packs.
Also...thinking your safe doesn't always mean that you are. My avy was naturally triggered over a km away. It went through a substantial gully and nabbed me up on a 15 degree slope. A classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only thing I could have done differently that day would have been to stay home. But, I wish I would have had an AVY bag that day!! What saved my life that day was a well trained riding group!!

Last edited:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theirs no way that pocket of air is gonna save your life.. Doesn't matter wether it's packed with N2 or air.

Really might want to take a look at Dan Treadway footage and tell me after 8 mins under the air in the pack didnt help ???

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the Back country free ride camp with Geoff and Rene at Eagles last winter and was pleased to see two guys I look up to as true profs of the sport wearin the same Avy pack I had Snowpulse. Rene's words " the best" I consider Geoff and Rene's opinions very seriously after all not many peeps put themselves in terrain where the risk factor enters the levels they ride daily.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Really might want to take a look at Dan Treadway footage and tell me after 8 mins under the air in the pack didnt help ???

Great banter on the site, I agree with choose the one you like best and wear it! Sorry I know Dan and he was not wearing an avy pack when he was caught in that huge avy many years ago. Like what someone said earlier, he is alive because of the quick work of Jorli, Geoff and Crew that got him out as fast as they could. cheers dave

Top Bottom