ABS airbags

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see what everyone thinks about these (sorry if there was a thread already)? I think i am going to get one just not sure which one yet and where to buy them, I know RMX in Calgary sells them but was hoping someone in Edmonton does to so that I can actually see one. Any input or info would be great.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my 30L at Martin on west end last fall. I believe it is the single best piece of equip to keep you alive in a slide....this does NOT mean you leave the beacon at home. Four different sizes of cargo room just depends how much weight you want on your back...the twin air bags are all the same size. Can't go wrong in getting one:thumbsup2:

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my 30L at Martin on west end last fall. I believe it is the single best piece of equip to keep you alive in a slide....this does NOT mean you leave the beacon at home. Four different sizes of cargo room just depends how much weight you want on your back...the twin air bags are all the same size. Can't go wrong in getting one:thumbsup2:

Hopefully you won't ever need to see how it works though !

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought the Vario 30 ltr this year and very happy.Rocky Mountain Extreme sells them for around a thousand dollars!
catmando!

Mtn-guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys... How does the 30l compare in weight to a conventional back pack?

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys... How does the 30l compare in weight to a conventional back pack?

Much heavier. these packs are not light. Figured i would go out and weigh them. my normal backpack which has more storage than a 30l abs weighs 2.5 lbs. empty. my 30l abs weighs 12lbs empty with cannister and trigger.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was looking at a freeride 10l, but the info says for users under 150lbs. Anyone know if this is right, I weigh about 200 lbs so not going to waste the money on a pack that isn't right but thought all the dbl airbags were the same, none of the others have a weight mentioned

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was told that 200 lbs was about the limit because you have add the weight of all you other gear helmut boots coat beacon etc...so i bought the 30.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything out on the restrictions of rider weight as the air bags are all the same the difference in the packs are the storage capacities so you should be able to get whatever one you want and just pick out the amount of storage you need. I have a Vario with the 10L pack and it has more than enough room for lunch and some of the mountain essentials.

Top Bottom