Aboriginal protests in Canada.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so many of us are almost as guilty as the media in avoiding a hornets nest like this one. Thats exactly why the situation has gotten so out of hand, political correctness fosters political inequitys, again. We should all speak loudly against situations like this especially when they are so evident and blatant, but so many will duck and run at the slightest comment or accusation from the bleeding hearts of discrimination, bigotry or racism. Its usually the loudest crowers and soapbox standers who do the least and respond with the least amount of actual experience and fact.
Sack up folks, if its wrong and we know it, tell your local reps loud and clear , otherwise the dollars keep going down the well, and the native situation keeps on keeping on, and thats a shame.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortunately this is why our political and social landscape sucks these days as know one has the balls to stand up to what is right.

the media would crucify him. it's the exact reason we don't see anyone else reporting on this information anywhere in the media. good on global for having some balls.

sidehillgouger

Reaction score
i think spence could use to drop a few pounds. a hunger strike will only do her good. At the end of the day nothing will change and most could give a fu#k. i know im paying the rest of my life no matter where it goes. i will also vote pc again.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think spence could use to drop a few pounds. a hunger strike will only do her good. At the end of the day nothing will change and most could give a fu#k. i know im paying the rest of my life no matter where it goes. i will also vote pc again.
exactly what I thought when I saw her. she has been eating six bowls of soup a day as well as drinking tea. not much of a hunger strike....also a couch and a big screen TV in her teepee....that she rarely sits in for photo ops.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a copy and paste from another site, thought many of you may find it interesting:

"In response to the comments about First Nations people:

My grandparents had it just as tough, why don't they just integrate, why don't they just suck it up and get over it:

Really? Did your grandparents have a legal agreement with the government of the day (England) that entitled them to use the land as they wished - hunting, fishing, etc. and based on that agreement decide to live in harmony with newcomers? (Preventing war, or the people/government of the day from having to buy it).

Did your grandparents or parents live through the newcomers changing that law against their will and against the law?

Were they forced to move to inhabitable areas of the country so the newcomers could prosper while they withered?

Were your grandparents forcibly removed from their parents, abused, punished for using their language and following their traditions, and then released back to a society that they had no place in? White people didn't want them - they were still Indian. Yet they didn't fit with the other First Nations people either.

Did your grandparents suffer from a childhood without love, without comfort and without recourse afterwards?

Were they left without the skills to raise their own children?

Do you know that many 50 year olds in this area are residential school survivors? And that their children may be suffering because of the damage done to these survivors?

Wait - your grandparents who worked that land and built that house - they were likely new immigrants GIVEN land by a government that did not have the right to give it.

The First Nations people at that time - they weren't ALLOWED to own land - by that same government.

Until the 1950s it was actually illegal for an Indian to leave the reserve without permission - thankfully enforcement stopped years before the law was struck. That is right, depending on your age - that could be you or your parents. This happened that recently.

As for why they don't just integrate or 'suck it up and get over it': The law is strongly on their side. If the law was on your side, are you saying you wouldn't fight for your rights?

The reason we are in the mess we are in now is because no government has ever dealt with the issues.

In 1927 the BC Government made it illegal for First Nations to persue land claims. This ruling went against former agreements made by Royal Decree.

It was only in the 1970s that this law was revoked, the law was challenged, and Indian rights and title were upheld in the Supreme Court.

What the First Nations are asking for is actually legally theirs. And the reason they are asking now is because your grandfather's generation elected people who broke the law and made it illegal for them to act then.

So - really, it is YOU who needs to integrate with the 'new' Canada that is coming - one with recognized First Nation treaties and agreements. It is you who has to 'suck it up' and face the fact that these wrongs will no longer be permitted."

FRIDAY FREE FOR ALL - January 4th, 2013

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a copy and paste from another site, thought many of you may find it interesting:

My grandparents had it just as tough, why don't they just integrate, why don't they just suck it up and get over it:

Really? Did your grandparents have a legal agreement with the government of the day (England) that entitled them to use the land as they wished - hunting, fishing, etc. and based on that agreement decide to live in harmony with newcomers? (Preventing war, or the people/government of the day from having to buy it).

Did your grandparents or parents live through the newcomers changing that law against their will and against the law?

Were they forced to move to inhabitable areas of the country so the newcomers could prosper while they withered?

Were your grandparents forcibly removed from their parents, abused, punished for using their language and following their traditions, and then released back to a society that they had no place in? White people didn't want them - they were still Indian. Yet they didn't fit with the other First Nations people either.

Did your grandparents suffer from a childhood without love, without comfort and without recourse afterwards?

Do you know that many 50 year olds in this area are residential school survivors? And that their children may be suffering because of the damage done to these survivors?

Wait - your grandparents who worked that land and built that house - they were likely new immigrants GIVEN land by a government that did not have the right to give it.

The First Nations people at that time - they weren't ALLOWED to own land - by that same government.

Until the 1950s it was actually illegal for an Indian to leave the reserve without permission - thankfully enforcement stopped years before the law was struck. That is right, depending on your age - that could be you or your parents. This happened that recently.

As for why they don't just integrate or 'suck it up and get over it': The law is strongly on their side. If the law was on your side, are you saying you wouldn't fight for your rights?

The reason we are in the mess we are in now is because no government has ever dealt with the issues.

In 1927 the BC Government made it illegal for First Nations to persue land claims. This ruling went against former agreements made by Royal Decree.

It was only in the 1970s that this law was revoked, the law was challenged, and Indian rights and title were upheld in the Supreme Court.

What the First Nations are asking for is actually legally theirs. And the reason they are asking now is because your grandfather's generation elected people who broke the law and made it illegal for them to act then.

So - really, it is YOU who needs to integrate with the 'new' Canada that is coming - one with recognized First Nation treaties and agreements. It is you who has to 'suck it up' and face the fact that these wrongs will no longer be permitted."

A perfect example of the crux of the problem. Absolutely no accountability or responsibility accepted. In 100 friggen years, still pointing fingers at all the external reasons and people to blame for their total lack of any progress or success, and it's all everyone's fault....... But theirs.
Lots of mistakes and injustices took place over the years, and most of that time the elected officials of the reserves have been the biggest disadvantage these groups suffered, the entire time screaming at the government in power to provide more cash so they could spend it foolishly and frivolously, and when questioned , scream racism, discrimination and muster up a quilt trip much like your message was designed to do.
Proof is clear and evident, these groups aren't capable of managing their own affairs, and how many more instances do we have to be presented with before we realize this and make decisions based on this knowledge rather than another emotional discussion based essentially on feel good hug me cause I'm special BS.
It ain't working, hasn't worked, not gonna work, and needs a total restructure, starting with like it or not, removing the management of the bands to begin to assure that funds allotted for reserve residents are being used in an equitable way to benefit the most possible, not just a chosen few. Scream about First Nation pride and self management all you want , the proof is in the puddin, they aren't capable, so sad too bad, but that's reality and we all know it. Money won't fix this, it will only cause the ones who are suffering further poverty and disadvantage and the ones who are benefitting to keep enjoying the gravy train. The motivation of the loudest and most political has been proven time and again to be mostly self serving individuals who have figured out how to exploit the system.
It has to change, and it's gonna be uncomfortable for many, but drive thru most reserves and then tell me again about first nation pride.

Nathansharkey

Reaction score

If the First Nations people continue to live like victims, that is all that they will ever be. I feel that they need to focus more on their future and less on their past if they aren't happy with the present. It takes courage to do that. It takes pride. Why not Native Pride?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well actually what you discribe did happen to my great grandparents in the Ukraine and everything they had was taken from them when the Russians moved in. The autrocities of Europe can match anything that happened here. They sucked it up and moved to a country that held a future and they helped build that country. I don't recieve any benifit cheques for the wrongs done to my ancestors by the Russian or Ukraine peolples of the day nor do I expect any. This did not happen so very long ago either.

Once again I say suck it up and stop bleeding your country. More than ample oppotunity has been given to become a part of Canada, the present abuse and waste needs to end and there is no just cause for endless support! Sorry but get a grip and open your eyes to what is happening NOW and get out of the past, the rest of the world has.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well actually what you discribe did happen to my great grandparents in the Ukraine and everything they had was taken from them when the Russians moved in. The autrocities of Europe can match anything that happened here. They sucked it up and moved to a country that held a future and they helped build that country. I don't recieve any benifit cheques for the wrongs done to my ancestors by the Russian or Ukraine peolples of the day nor do I expect any. This did not happen so very long ago either.

Once again I say suck it up and stop bleeding your country. More than ample oppotunity has been given to become a part of Canada, the present abuse and waste needs to end and there is no just cause for endless support! Sorry but get a grip and open your eyes to what is happening NOW and get out of the past, the rest of the world has.

and you might take a few minutes to work on your reading comprehension. As the very first line says, its a copy and paste from the link I posted, not my words.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and you might take a few minutes to work on your reading comprehension. As the very first line says, its a copy and paste from the link I posted, not my words.

You might take a few minutes to consider when you copy and paste something the majority will assume you agree with it. That also is another example of taking responsibility for your actions, which makes it easier to understand your views on the First Nations issue.

Kymco1

Reaction score
A friend of mine is native and he built up a lucrative business of his own right from scratch. When he visits the reserve he was from they discriminate against him because he made a great life for himself and works his ass off.

They call him an apple, red on the outside but all white on the inside. He's not the only one this happens to either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might take a few minutes to consider when you copy and paste something the majority will assume you agree with it. That also is another example of taking responsibility for your actions, which makes it easier to understand your views on the First Nations issue.
Never said I agree'd or disagreed to it, but what I did see was the words of somebody who was passionate about their side of the story and put forward a good view from their eyes.

I do know this, the fact that the native population in Canada proved to be a strong and viable group before white man came and was put through some terrible hardships is hard to deny. What the natives in this area had to go through in the 50's, 60's and 70's was horrible. Residential schools, being take away from families at a very young age and put into schools run by very bad people, its very disheartening. The original author of those words knew what they were talking about. The fact they bring up that one should take a few minutes to think about is the fact that familes were torn apart and destroyed leading them to not knowing how to raise their children as WE see fit.

I think allot of people on this site have a very narrow view of things and dont spend 2 seconds thinking about the other side of the story.

As I have said before, testosterone before wisdom.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A perfect example of the crux of the problem. Absolutely no accountability or responsibility accepted. In 100 friggen years, still pointing fingers at all the external reasons and people to blame for their total lack of any progress or success, and it's all everyone's fault.......

a great example of revisionist history. The last residential school in this are was shut down only a little over 20 years ago. We are not just talking about injustice done in the 1800's. we are talking about things which were done as late as the 1980's.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never said I agree'd or disagreed to it, but what I did see was the words of somebody who was passionate about their side of the story and put forward a good view from their eyes.

I do know this, the fact that the native population in Canada proved to be a strong and viable group before white man came and was put through some terrible hardships is hard to deny. What the natives in this area had to go through in the 50's, 60's and 70's was horrible. Residential schools, being take away from families at a very young age and put into schools run by very bad people, its very disheartening. The original author of those words knew what they were talking about. The fact they bring up that one should take a few minutes to think about is the fact that familes were torn apart and destroyed leading them to not knowing how to raise their children as WE see fit.

I think allot of people on this site have a very narrow view of things and dont spend 2 seconds thinking about the other side of the story.

As I have said before, testosterone before wisdom.
I'm guessing The jewish people had it the worst .

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a great example of revisionist history. The last residential school in this are was shut down only a little over 20 years ago. We are not just talking about injustice done in the 1800's. we are talking about things which were done as late as the 1980's.

So your suggestions to remedy this situation is what ? So far most suggestions have been along the lines of give em more money and they'll be able to fix it themselves, and that's becoming apparent it's not gonna work. There are some great minds, educated and motivated individuals in the First Nations governance, but unfortunately they are a huge minority and get easily negated and swallowed up by the corrupt and the lazy who are the vast majority.
Gotta get your heart and feel good muscles out of this one and make the tough decisions we all know have to happen.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your suggestions to remedy this situation is what ? So far most suggestions have been along the lines of give em more money and they'll be able to fix it themselves, and that's becoming apparent it's not gonna work. There are some great minds, educated and motivated individuals in the First Nations governance, but unfortunately they are a huge minority and get easily negated and swallowed up by the corrupt and the lazy who are the vast majority.
Gotta get your heart and feel good muscles out of this one and make the tough decisions we all know have to happen.
Yep hand-outs help nobody .

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to give the exact same example but a different part of the world in North Eastern Greece where the Turks ousted my great grandparents from their land and they had to flee to western Greece. Not only they took their land, money, business, they also killed thousands including my relatives. No Money, no apologies, no nothing but suck it up and move on.

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to give the exact same example but a different part of the world in North Eastern Greece where the Turks ousted my great grandparents from their land and they had to flee to western Greece. Not only they took their land, money, business, they also killed thousands including my relatives. No Money, no apologies, no nothing but suck it up and move on.

thats a good example;

if you dont like life on the rez , move and get a job .
Most oil sites in northern AB will hire any native Canadian looking for for work as long as they can pass a drug and alcohol test

Top Bottom