a few questions about winches

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after having to rebuild my stock warn winch a couple times because of the free spool/engage switch stops working and the electric motor getting filled with muddy water and such I've been considering getting a different winch. My girlfriends quad has a viper I believe and the free spool switch is a nice metal cap and works much better than the stupid plastic crap on my warn. So I'm wondering what other brands of winch have good switches on them.

My second question is if I switch brands will it wire directly to my control box without any problems?

Third question. If I buy a new winch I'd like to upgrade to a 4k utv winch. I have a 2010 can am outlander and I have a rad relocate so there's a bit more room there. Will a 4k fit and will it wire into my existing control box?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after having to rebuild my stock warn winch a couple times because of the free spool/engage switch stops working and the electric motor getting filled with muddy water and such I've been considering getting a different winch. My girlfriends quad has a viper I believe and the free spool switch is a nice metal cap and works much better than the stupid plastic crap on my warn. So I'm wondering what other brands of winch have good switches on them.

My second question is if I switch brands will it wire directly to my control box without any problems?

Third question. If I buy a new winch I'd like to upgrade to a 4k utv winch. I have a 2010 can am outlander and I have a rad relocate so there's a bit more room there. Will a 4k fit and will it wire into my existing control box?
i know the 3500 is the same size as the 2500. look at canadian tire. they have 4000 on the shelf. measure them up...

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes ,warn suck......Sorry i could not get out was away in BC............How was Med lake......????HeHeHe

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Med lake was good. A broken stock axle cut the day down to only 4 hours of riding but it was still good. I was limited though as I had my winch removed after it stopped working while I was stuck in a massive skeg hole in alder flats on Sunday. I just got to work yesterday for 2 weeks but I'll be planning a trip for when I get home. I'll pm ya

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
exactly like goodngrubby said.... they are so great to deal with.. just the best warranty.. i have had the best service from them.. i ordered direct and it comes DHL in like 2 days for i think 60 bucks but the winch is so much cheaper than warn.. i have a 3000 with remote and it comes with some nice things.. go to there site to see.. they are actually sealed 100% and garanteed for that, i believe.. i have had mine for quite some time now and had to replace my control box once and they sent it no questions asked, it got here in 2 days and no charge for shipping either.

yes, you can use any control box but if its remote, then you have to get there's.. but if you buy a winch its all included in the box. Viper all the way for me now since fall of 07...

about 250 for a 3000lb non remote with rope.. cheaper with steel cable... and the remote elite, like i have is 345 US plus 60 to ship... thats lots cheaper than buying a warn and if you look what you get in the package, you will be sold imo

Last edited:

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had good luck with warn wicnhes but they do require maintenice as they are not fully sealed at least the non rt they need to be pulled apart yearly and cleaned up and then completely filled with water proof grease and they work well

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told Warn winches are not sealed, but you have to run them under a little stress to drive the water out. If you go quadding and your winch in under water just spool out about 25 feet attach to your bumber or nearest tree and pull yourself in neutral to warm it up. Seems to work as I find every mud puddle I can find. and occasionally get stuck.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The free spool/engage switch sticking is a common problem on warn winches, but it's an easy fix. There are two plastic stopper tabs under the switch on the winch body, and once the switch wears in a bit the metal plate that works the clutch pins likes to pop over top of the stopper tabs and get stuck. All you need to do is pull the switch off (circlip pliers are all you need) and file down the square edges of the tabs so they are angled a bit. This allows the metal plate to "ramp" back over the tabs in the event that it turns too far. Simple fix and I haven't had my switch get stuck since.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know muffin man I rebuilt my warn entirely last year and when I looked at the internal components I was not impressed. The parts are small and seem cheap. The design looks very fragile and has proven to me that it is as I've had to tear it apart every year. It just looks like a very crappy design to me. I can get a viper 4k shipped for $270 so I figure I might as well.

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
What are the best accessories for winching? I had the warn kit first, block, tree savers, two clevises, that was stolen out of my pick-up. Then I had a huge block & tackle set that was rated for like 20 000 lbs (way overkill & bulky), that was stolen from my fifth wheel, and now I found the an original warn set again at bass pro shop, like the first set I had. What else is advantagous? I'm thinking a second 8000 lb block from Princess Auto. The bag that the warn stuff comes with is quite flimsy, lower grade zipper, is there a case anyone would reccomend? How do you load your winch gear for ease of use & weight distribution & securement?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the wireless remote kit if you don't have one already, best money I ever spent. As for storing your kit, keep one clevis in the rear hitch at all times and the other on the end of your tow strap, rolled up and in one of your dry storage boxes. If all you have is a little flimsy tree saver ditch it and get a 8-10 foot tow strap. It doesn't take up much more room and can work as a tree saver as well, plus it's sometime a lot easier to just pull your buddy out with a tow rope than winding a winch out and back in. If you ever have to winch yourself out of something having the extra 10 feet of rope can be the difference between a quick recovery and a very long day. As far as blocks, I've never needed more than one but if you want to carry two and have the space why not? Just try to keep them dry and if you ever get them wet be sure to spray them down with WD-40 as soon as your ride is done.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly haven't seen the need for a wireless remote yet. I wear chest waders and I'm usually standing in the mud and water anyways. When do you find that the wireless remote is most helpful?

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's nice to have if you're spooling the winch back in by yourself, you can keep your eye on the wrap to make sure it's nice and tight and there's no awkward reach to the handlebar. It's even more useful on a utv as you can't reach the dashboard switch and keep tension on the winch line at the same time. Another situation I've found it to be useful in is winching up very steep slopes: your buddy can work the winch from the top of the hill for you leaving both your hands free to operate your machine..

Top Bottom