a few questions about winches

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense. Now that I'm switching to synthetic line I won't have to worry about it bunching up and getting stuck like wire rope

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had my Warn winch on since 2005. This is the first year it has been apart. Cleaned out the old dried up grease put in some new stuff and replaced the cable with some synthetic. Not going to complain about it. It has always got me out when needed. So I am happy with the Warn winches.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about how other people ride but I'm very hard on equipment and after having my warn apart and seeing the internal components on it I'm not surprised that it crapped out after the abuse I put it through but I'm hoping a bigger and better built winch will help. Viper winches are advertised as sealed and weatherproof/water resistant whereas the warns don't even try to claim any water protection. I'm gonna give it a try and report back with my results. I'll torture that viper 4k this summer.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what does a guy need to replace a Warn winch with a Viper on a 2005 Polaris 500HO? Will it bolt right up and wire into the existing harness?

I got the elite series viper so it has a wireless remote. Thus, the contactor box is rather large. They say to mount the contactor box in the rear storage box since it wont fit in the stock contactor bracket. So i used some engineering and welded a different angle on the bracket so the contactor box will fit in the right front fender. I will post some pics i have on my computer tonight to help ya out.

Sent while not working too hard

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
If you go with a viper Max it'll bolt right up. It shouldn't be anything more than that. You should be able to use all the same wiring

from reading the manual online Quinton is right, unbolt leads from warn winch, unbolt warn winch, remove warn winch, put Viper winch in place, bolt viper winch, hook leads onto posts on viper winch.....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I got the elite series viper so it has a wireless remote. Thus, the contactor box is rather large. They say to mount the contactor box in the rear storage box since it wont fit in the stock contactor bracket. So i used some engineering and welded a different angle on the bracket so the contactor box will fit in the right front fender. I will post some pics i have on my computer tonight to help ya out.

If you go with a viper Max it'll bolt right up. It shouldn't be anything more than that. You should be able to use all the same wiring

from reading the manual online Quinton is right, unbolt leads from warn winch, unbolt warn winch, remove warn winch, put Viper winch in place, bolt viper winch, hook leads onto posts on viper winch.....

That's what is soooo great about S&M.......always knowledgeable people willing to share information. Thanks a bunch guys.

Maybe a new winch will help the problem of running the battery down while using the winch. I've had the Warn apart numerous times, re-greased, and at the point of replacing the brushes but the problem will just come back again. A new Viper winch is actually a cheap fix and a lot cheaper than Warn parts or a Warn winch.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not going to reply to other threads
if you have a factory warn winch good chance it stucks ass sry to tell you this. they come with minimum grease and they lock up most are not really sealed properly .. i filled mine full of grease finally and while its slow and works harder it always works i filled it so full of marine grease i t squeezed out the first time the gears turned. but .. 2 years now it still works and thats the main thing right? i swamp my machine every ride "snorkled" and still going!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
viper winches work great they are still not bullet proof my dads 350 with viper screwed up ... it would work after banging on it with a hammer witch meant to me brushes wernt touching but still far from bullet proof. when things get wet things f up

Top Bottom