98 summit belt change question

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is that tough, it might need servicing. I service both of my clutches at least once a month, depending on use, and pull down my race clutches at least once a weekend.
Easiest way to service is to go to beer store, pick up a case of payment, go to buddy's house that has the required tools (clutch puller and retainers for primary pucks) have him show you how to rebuild them, and help him consume 1/2 of payment.

Easy way to change belt, lock brake on sled pull back of secondary clutch clockwise 3 to 4 inches, and pull up hard on center of belt. This will set belt deep into secondary clutch on the bottom and keep belt out of clutch on top. Roll belt out of clutch on top and around. if it binds, release brake and turn complete clutch clockwise or pull sled backwards and belt will roll off.
To install, lock brake, put belt on primary, turn back of secondary 3 to 4 inches, place belt on top of secondary and push down hard on belt pushing it in between the sheeves about half way. It should then be able to be fed around rest of secondary. If it is to tight after it is on 1/2 way, release brake, turn complete secondary clockwise or pull sled backwards, or both. It will feed itself back on. Watch fingers so they do not get pinched

Its to bad you live so far i deffinatley got beer if there was someone near to help me with these clutchs.:beer::d thanks for the tip

Dan E

Reaction score
I have a 98 summit 670 x and i just bought the clutch tool.How do i open the secondary to change the belt ? does it just screw in are there any tricks. can i strip it ifi screw in to far?

I am responding to yur clutch question and have a question for you. why do you need a tool to change your belt? I have the exact same sled but with a 5" riser. just roll the belt off of your secondary and roll the new belt on the same way. no tool is required. dan

Top Bottom