98 summit belt change question

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 summit 670 x and i just bought the clutch tool.How do i open the secondary to change the belt ? does it just screw in are there any tricks. can i strip it ifi screw in to far?

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 summit 670 x and i just bought the clutch tool.How do i open the secondary to change the belt ? does it just screw in are there any tricks. can i strip it ifi screw in to far?

empty hole in center of secondary screw in tooluntil secondary sheath spreads apart...and then change your belt its that easy cheers B

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I thought that may be all there was to it but i didn't want to screw to far in to the alumi. and take a the chance stripping it if i was wrong.

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats good advice for any time of your life no matter what you are dooing:yikes::rollinglaugh:

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I just tried threading the tool in but nothing seems to be moving and it feels like the thread is striping or stripped. it turns in so far and then seems to just spin free. if it is stripped how f'ed am I. are they normaly hard to get apart. is there any other tricks i could try?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
flour can help to pinpoint the proper location for insertation of the tool......

:wtf1:

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I just tried threading the tool in but nothing seems to be moving and it feels like the thread is striping or stripped. it turns in so far and then seems to just spin free. if it is stripped how f'ed am I. are they normaly hard to get apart. is there any other tricks i could try?

Help is there any other tricks i could try?

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if stripped apply emerg brake grab inner half of secondary rotate to rear of sled,pull up on belt and remove.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if stripped apply emerg brake grab inner half of secondary rotate to rear of sled,pull up on belt and remove.

Ok with a bit of grunting and some pinchedfingers i got the belt off thanks timbo.
NowI am wondering if maybe i have some clutch problems or maybe its just a ski doo thing. turning the sheave manualy allowed it to open a very tiny bit.it seems to rotate ok but the sheaves don't seem to open much.when i changed belts on my arctic cat turning the secondary spread the sheaves much farther apart. is there something wrong with my clutch as the tool seemed to just stripe and it doesn't open up much by hand? seems seized up a bit. never noticed any problems when riding it but the sled is new to me.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now that you got belt off turn secondary and with both hands push secondary open.note the resistance,should be able to push open a couple of inches.
when installing new belt put around primary then push open secondary and put belt in sheaves,belt will hold clutch open so you can get belt all the way on.hope this helps.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now that you got belt off turn secondary and with both hands push secondary open.note the resistance,should be able to push open a couple of inches.
when installing new belt put around primary then push open secondary and put belt in sheaves,belt will hold clutch open so you can get belt all the way on.hope this helps.

sheave will rotate against the spring but will not open wider.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doo's are a pain to open,look on backside to see if helix is corroded,that would make it hard to open.might have to service secondary.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doo's are a pain to open,look on backside to see if helix is corroded,that would make it hard to open.might have to service secondary.

Thats what i am thinking.it seems stuck.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I replied to your other thread on this too.... The holes do eventually strip from many times use from changing belts etc.... When mine stripped, i just retapped the hole to the next size bigger and used a bolt with a wrench.... Works just fine.... Just be sure to use a vacuum close to the hole when tapping to keep the filings to a minimum from getting inside the clutch, then use lots of compressed air to blow out the clutch as best you can..... Works fine. Use a little oil on the tool/bolt when changing belts to help prevent this in the future......

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it is that tough, it might need servicing. I service both of my clutches at least once a month, depending on use, and pull down my race clutches at least once a weekend.
Easiest way to service is to go to beer store, pick up a case of payment, go to buddy's house that has the required tools (clutch puller and retainers for primary pucks) have him show you how to rebuild them, and help him consume 1/2 of payment.

Easy way to change belt, lock brake on sled pull back of secondary clutch clockwise 3 to 4 inches, and pull up hard on center of belt. This will set belt deep into secondary clutch on the bottom and keep belt out of clutch on top. Roll belt out of clutch on top and around. if it binds, release brake and turn complete clutch clockwise or pull sled backwards and belt will roll off.
To install, lock brake, put belt on primary, turn back of secondary 3 to 4 inches, place belt on top of secondary and push down hard on belt pushing it in between the sheeves about half way. It should then be able to be fed around rest of secondary. If it is to tight after it is on 1/2 way, release brake, turn complete secondary clockwise or pull sled backwards, or both. It will feed itself back on. Watch fingers so they do not get pinched

Top Bottom