94 Polaris xlt 580 bog from idle.

irishgreen4

Reaction score
I am having a problem trying to figure out what my bog is coming from. It happens right from idle and goes away after about 3500-4000 rpms. I have tried taking the belt off and and it still happens. i have synced the carbs with a uni-syn manometer at idle and off idle. The carbs should be clean because i didn't winterize the sled... i just started it up periodically through the summer. Plus i had the same issue last winter. Gas was treated with the ethanol fuel stabilizer and just put some fresh gas in after running the tank empty. I am running out of thuings to check and i am stumped. Also i am not as beginner to mechanics. I am auto mechanic so i have a good grasp on the subject but i lack knowledge in carbs and 2 strokes. I have read the manual and nothing seems to work. i have also tried to lean out the air idle screw a half turn and didn't seem to notice a difference. Anything would be appreciated guys THANKS!

tonykunz

Reaction score
Why go through all the trouble of figuring everything else but the carbs out. I'd pull them off and check it, or else take the air box off and spray a bit of the stuff directly into the carb.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your carb boots, if they are cracked and leaking, you could be running very lean, especially with the leaning you did with the air screw. Could be crank seals involved as well

dirtbag

Reaction score
I have found usually pulling the carbs ,dissassembleing and cleaning with a cleaner and compressed air is the first step and usually fixes problems like that,I just had to do one of my sleds because it wouldnt idle..

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my new to me 600 tripple is doing the same thing occasionally... when we find the issue I'll let you know....

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they all did it piston port engine, i f'ed with mine for 2 yrs and got it not to bad then sold the pos and moved to something newer
seems to get even worse once you install pipes. try dropping your pilot jet 1 or 2 sizes and see what happens.

irishgreen4

Reaction score
Why go through all the trouble of figuring everything else but the carbs out. I'd pull them off and check it, or else take the air box off and spray a bit of the stuff directly into the carb.
The reason why i didn't think ity was the carbs bvecause i cleaned them last year and still had the same problem afterwards.

irishgreen4

Reaction score
Have you checked your carb boots, if they are cracked and leaking, you could be running very lean, especially with the leaning you did with the air screw. Could be crank seals involved as well
I checked the boots they are good. I did check the crank seal last year by spraying a flammable aerosol on the seal while it was running and didn't see any difference in rpm's. The reason why i don't think it is an air leak is beacuse the sled idles fine.

irishgreen4

Reaction score
I have found usually pulling the carbs ,dissassembleing and cleaning with a cleaner and compressed air is the first step and usually fixes problems like that,I just had to do one of my sleds because it wouldnt idle..
Yea i actually talked to a guy at work and he seems to think the same thing. I did clean the carbs but seeing how I am still kind of new with them i probobly didn't clean them good enough or correctly.

irishgreen4

Reaction score
they all did it piston port engine, i f'ed with mine for 2 yrs and got it not to bad then sold the pos and moved to something newer
seems to get even worse once you install pipes. try dropping your pilot jet 1 or 2 sizes and see what happens.
Yea I have heard the port engines have have a lot of issues with low end bog. I am going to try to clean the carbs again and if that doesn't work i think i will start messing with the jetting.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Yea I have heard the port engines have have a lot of issues with low end bog. I am going to try to clean the carbs again and if that doesn't work i think i will start messing with the jetting.

I was told to check all my vent and fuel lines...

If you look in the Tailgate Chat there has been quite a bit of discussion on it today from some knowledgeable guys

irishgreen4

Reaction score
figured out what it was guys...it was a partially clogged pilot jet. Cleaned it up and now it runs like a top. Thanks Guys!

Top Bottom