LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started over with the clutching this year. Blue/pink SLP 160/340 primary, black/blue cat 284 secondary with 3 shims ( approx 310 ) started with 68.5 grams cutler adjustable so. Over revving in the garage to 85-8600, gonna see this weekend what r's are on the snow. Using a shockwave 38-54 helix, might go to a dual angle fixed if it doesn't seem to need adjustments ever.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If memory serves me right I ran cutler adjustables at 70g with a 140/330, 36 helix and whatever spring came in the "updated" secondaries. Worked real good for me. Ran right around 85-8600 with the full jaws setup on it too

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out yesterday for a little run, trail ride only really low snow so had to be careful. Got to a couple meadows where we could let em loose a bit and was seeing (when I could see gauges for fluffy snow) 80-8200 with 68.5 in , the shockwave about the middle so 44 ish. Seemed to be a bit blubbery on the bottom so I think my numbers will need a tuning and I'm gonna take out the .5 for next time, I'd like to get it over revving around here or up to 3500 ft ish, then I can add down here if I ever ride locally. We beat up a couple meadows with about 2-3 ft of fresh, no bottom, and it certainly pulls hard , stands the ProLite up and leaves the scene well. Was with a new 850 Doo and a 16 Doo 174 with Aerocharger, and no issues for anyone. But it certainly worked better than anytime last year, so positive results.

jmccafferty81

Reaction score
This is good info.. what year sled? I am running the rktek BB on my 17 mountain cat. I have dalton adjustable weights ran 70.1g and was only getting 7600 rpm in the pow. I swapped to the next smaller size the 5/8" long weights down from 3/4" ( I do not know the exact weight off hand and the sheet is in my sled covered up) and was hitting 8300-8400. I left it there for now was basically first ride with the kit in so was a little gun shy. I am running the stock spring. I also found my sled really boggy down low.. died a few times and had to burp the throttle numerous times to get it up off idle or it would stall. I am very interested in the numbers you come up with I can also send you the ones I have if you want to compare? After I swapped the clutch weights the thing came alive and was very crisp and snappy. Was riding in owls head around 6k feet. I forgot to mention running jaws pipe BMP can. with reeds done as well. Power commander V

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out again , just around here (2600 ft) crappy snow still but had a few runs, turned the helix down to 40 ish degrees tried green cat primary , 310 finish, rpms were 84-85 so that's good for here should be close higher up. Does anyone run a stock pipe on this motor ? Would you be safe running premium gas if you did ? How much hp would you lose ?
Going out Boxing Day to camp , got snow finally so hopefully will be able to get a few days riding in.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a stock pipe on mine the first winter. There's a significant power difference between stock and jaws. Although with the stock pipe it ran just like stock with a bunch more power. Ran premium at 13:1

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran a stock pipe on mine the first winter. There's a significant power difference between stock and jaws. Although with the stock pipe it ran just like stock with a bunch more power. Ran premium at 13.5-1

What is the compression on this motor Dave ? What octane did you run with the Jaws on ?

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the compression on this motor Dave ? What octane did you run with the Jaws on ?
It was either 13 or 13.5:1. 13 rings more of a bell. I ran pump gas both with and without the jaws. I'd put a splash of race in it just for safety measures when riding the trails at low elevation

With the stock pipe on that motor Len, it literally ran like a stock machine with a bunch more power.

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was either 13 or 13.5:1. 13 rings more of a bell. I ran pump gas both with and without the jaws. I'd put a splash of race in it just for safety measures when riding the trails at low elevation

With the stock pipe on that motor Len, it literally ran like a stock machine with a bunch more power.

I still have the stock pipe but it seems to run fine with the jaws , so far. I'm scared of crappy gas so I've been using straight 100, you think I'd be safe with 91 octane with the Pipe ? The only real reason I would switch back to stock pipe would be to be able to use 91 not 100 or a mix. My opinion , most motor issues are from poor quality fuel so I Won't use premium if there's any risk just to save a few dollars per tank, but it would certainly be more convenient.

Last edited:

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still have the stock pipe but it seems to run fine with the jaws , so far. I'm scared of crappy gas so I've been using straight 100, you think I'd be safe with 91 octane with the Pipe ? The only real reason I would switch back to stock pipe would be to be able to use 91 not 100 or a mix. My opinion , most motor issues are from poor quality fuel so I Won't use premium if there's any risk just to save a few dollars per tank, but it would certainly be more convenient.

The motor was built for 3000+ on pump gas. Running around town with the jaws I'd likely throw a splash of race or av in just for safe measure. I've always used Costco fuel with good luck.

hcr ditch banger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 91 and 110 60/40 70/30 just for saftey at low elevation. Should get to the tonight and be riding tomorow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been out a few times now, highest elevation we've really been at is 5000 is mostly a bit less. Decent snow , no real long deep powder climbs yet but lots of deep snow. Really working well this year, (about time) last 2 times out it has pulled hard, very impressive. I can't remember exactly what gears are in it , I've changed it once, but gonna get it apart change the chain and whatever it is I'm gonna gear up one tooth. But wow, it's working very very well. Still running a bit fat but think I'm gonna leave it there if I can, bit more safety factor, we'll see. But so far so good.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been out a few times now, highest elevation we've really been at is 5000 is mostly a bit less. Decent snow , no real long deep powder climbs yet but lots of deep snow. Really working well this year, (about time) last 2 times out it has pulled hard, very impressive. I can't remember exactly what gears are in it , I've changed it once, but gonna get it apart change the chain and whatever it is I'm gonna gear up one tooth. But wow, it's working very very well. Still running a bit fat but think I'm gonna leave it there if I can, bit more safety factor, we'll see. But so far so good.

Awesome I'm glad to hear you got her running good. It's definitely a strong running motor!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have always hated the rear float shock and after catman10 posted about his, I changed it to a coil over. IMO, way way better in every aspect except weight. Left the floats on the front, don't mind them.
And now I have float 2 for sale if anyone needs one.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I am glad the shock has helped you out, The very little extra weight is barely noticeable but worth the gain in my opinion.

Top Bottom