E-Tec Clutching, season summary

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! after my final clutch combo at Revy this weekend.

We have been chasing our tails all winter with the following ramps

414, 415, 417 and 441

Helixes

42, 44/42, 44, 47/44, the stock 43/47 and straight shockwave.

Also 1 mm oversize v.s. stock rollers and all kinds of pin weight combos.

To throw a monkey into the mix we had to deal with clutch alignment issues.

At the end of the season we are finally seeing cool clutches and great track speeds with sustained rpms.

The 2 e-tecs we ran had slightly different combos but the bottom line was that we have been way low in pin weight and too high in helix degrees all along.

Both had 1 mm oversized rollers and the one with the coolest clutch had 414 ramps, solid pins and a Shockwave running approx 42degrees.
This was pulling a 162, 3 inch paddle track and really low gearing.(2.55) This sled also had lots of shim to move the jackshaft over for alignment

The other machine is a stock 154 and had the pins full of set screws, (12+10+6 mm) oversized rollers, 42 degree helix, 415 ramps and a floating secondary. (2.45 gearing) Also a Purple/Pink primary spring for lower engagement.

This second sled had the hardest arm pull but on the short lake both were pretty even as the big track sled with its lower gearing and traction accelerated fast. The short track was about 10 km/hr faster up Super bowl.

Next season we will try to push it even more with 2 mm oversized rollers and try a shockwave helix around 40 degrees.

These sleds need lots of pin weight to stop belt slip in the primary but also need a helix to keep up the rpms. The secondary may be showing some signs of slippage now as they are a little warm but not hot. Still 103km/hr up Super-bowl in fairly tracked snow was great to see. We can still hold our bare hands on the primary or secondary clutches after this pull.

On my 154, I pulled strings on 2 belts in the first 500 kms. After floating the secondary at about 800km's I put one of these belts back on and have been running it for another 1200 km's with no further noticable problems.

Also there is next to nothing for venting on this machine.

Hope this helps.

Chris

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what were your findings with the 441 ramps. i find them to work well on the powertek but have not tried on the etec.

i notice all your tests are based on racing or speeds uphill.

how was the backshift? throttle response? etc in tight spaces were quick flips of the throttle and instant recovery are important.

i find the 441 in the powertek to make the best track speed most quickly out of the hole or in a sticky sitaution

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maxwell were useing 441's 160-350 with thundershift arms and a 41-45 helixs on a 08 800 154 with verry impressive up and back shift.Geared 20-49.The sled rips.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what were your findings with the 441 ramps. i find them to work well on the powertek but have not tried on the etec.

i notice all your tests are based on racing or speeds uphill.

how was the backshift? throttle response? etc in tight spaces were quick flips of the throttle and instant recovery are important.

i find the 441 in the powertek to make the best track speed most quickly out of the hole or in a sticky sitaution

The 441's were nice on the trail but seemed more sluggish on the hills or in mid range. With the 415's the engagement was lower too. Ramps seemed less important than primary weight and helix combo. Sorry about the racing and speed hills, its just the that time of year when the soft powder is harder to find.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no need for an apology. im just throwing it out there that its an important factor aswell.

the shockwave had straight profile or?

going to have to pick one of these up to try

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow sounds like fun Chris....

thanks for the great info but seems to me a hell of a lot of work for a factory machine that is 4 months old?

now Im not even stoked on going e-tec,,,:confused:

someone talk me off the cliff I am ready to jump..

Maxwell I agree I expect that bullchit on my 08 xp first year but this is sounding scary on a e-tec. as I am reading hot clutches, bad alignement and rpm's inconsitent???

hows the sled otherwise Chris you liking it,,??

Any grease off the crank seal?
that new track must be good?

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the shockwave is straight design and the other guy with the 162 x 3" has it and I will do it next season. It just lets you fix your primary pin weight and adjust the secondary while on the hill. The straight 42 I have is good right now but I am not sure if it will be as flexible in all conditions. I will say that the 42 degree helix made the sled feel revy with all other ramps other than the 415's which are nice and smooth on the trail.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the shockwave is straight design and the other guy with the 162 x 3" has it and I will do it next season. It just lets you fix your primary pin weight and adjust the secondary while on the hill. The straight 42 I have is good right now but I am not sure if it will be as flexible in all conditions. I will say that the 42 degree helix made the sled feel revy with all other ramps other than the 415's which are nice and smooth on the trail.

try the proregssive, i got the progressive shockwave one on mine. Loads it more for lower elevations and makes it less revy but can maintain some consistancys due to the less angle. There is a 4 degree diffrence with the progressive ramps. If you have a newer shockwave you can change the ramps out.

You guys should ride elsewhere besides boulder;) was over the hood all day for me in revy:beer:

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the 415 will work well with the straight cut helix, or a progressive helix like a 46-40 ish

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow sounds like fun Chris....

thanks for the great info but seems to me a hell of a lot of work for a factory machine that is 4 months old?

now Im not even stoked on going e-tec,,,:confused:

someone talk me off the cliff I am ready to jump..

Maxwell I agree I expect that bullchit on my 08 xp first year but this is sounding scary on a e-tec. as I am reading hot clutches, bad alignement and rpm's inconsitent???

hows the sled otherwise Chris you liking it,,??

Any grease off the crank seal?
that new track must be good?

Best sled that I have ever ridden. Would like to try that Cat though.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any body use Thundershift arms? Way nicer to tune with IMO.Thanks for the info Teth Air.

mark4

Reaction score
Terra Alps Racing has a great helix, install the helix and add a bit of weight and your done. These are working great on the xp's here in bc.

Top Bottom