850xp belt slipping.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys my dads 850 belt has sliped ever since he got it. it has 27"mudlite xtrs on it. is it slipping because of the tires? would a clutch kit stop it from slipping?

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
Dylan,

I put a clutch kit into my 450 sportsman. What a difference. No slippage at all. AAEN the way to go. Call them they will set you up to what you want your machine to do. You will have to change your belt as it is probably damaged from the slippage that has already happened. AAEN has a good website for Polaris aftermarket goodies.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. im having a hard time finding clutch kits or clutch parts for the 850s everywhere

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the belt deflection before ordering stuff, I had to remove a shim from my secondary to get it right, came from the factory too loose and the dealers don't check.

Byron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ye my belt slips too on my brute im check the belt deflection

Sammy

Reaction score
Check the belt deflection before ordering stuff, I had to remove a shim from my secondary to get it right, came from the factory too loose and the dealers don't check.

The EBS clutching on Polaris quads require zero belt deflection, there are no shims in the secondary for this set up. I have had the same issue of belt slip with my new 850 xp. Excessive belt dust at the exit of the exhaust snorkel and some times even the smell of a slipping belt all with stock tires were the warning signs for me.
Polaris seems to have missed the mark on set up for the new 850's in my opinion. They have changed their clutching specs for 2010 from the 2009 specs. The primary and secondary springs remain the same, how ever the primary weights have gone from 63 grams(2009) to 60 grams(2010). The helix in the secondary has also changed from part #3234620(2009) to 3234919(2010). The 2009 helix is a 52 degree cut and i have yet to find the spec on the new part number. I would assume probably less angle possibly 50 degrees. Would like to try this set up just not sure i want to pay for it yet.

I have installed a QSC clutch kit in mine but am not a 100% happy yet with this kit. Adam at Quad Shop Customs has been great to work with as he has been working with me to make sure i am fully satisfied with his kit. His kit has eliminated the belt slip, just missing some rpm on full shift out. I would still recommend him as he has gone to great lengths to make sure i am happy. He has phoned me on the weekends (sunday included) and sent me springs at no cost to me. Like i said not 100% happy yet but also feel that it is a huge improvement over the stock set up.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on the clutch kit.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
pull the plug make sure there is no water in it... and use low gear in the deep and technical stuff saves on the belt. Mine will slip when in high when the tires are locked in the mud or upagainst high logs, rocks,, etc

Top Bottom