850 reviews, pics and vids

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the 850 out to Groundhog, up to 3ft in the trees! Sled was good and strong right from parking lot! Played with shocks and softened them up. Hit the alpine and it felt great. Had the 2.6 rippin’ in 3ft and it did fine other than operator error. The extra fuel quit after about 2 hours and it perked up even more. The 36in front felt great didn’t take long to get the feel back, drop it over, ****hooks and sidehills are easy and light feeling. But the 850, no problems hear so far!
e8d2602da50a9efa8ed322717ee1ccd5.jpg

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket cans can melt pull cord into 2 piece, in my case it was an SLP can. If you don't have e-start or a rope to wrap primary you're screwed,.. you can fix it on the hill if you have a 6mm allen wrench and a 10mm socket to pull the pull start housing.

My pull cord also won't retract now after this,. I am wondering if it's putting out too much heat close to the can.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket can melts pull cord into 2 piece, in my case it was an SLP can. If you don't have e-start or a rope to wrap primary you're screwed,.. you can fix it on the hill if you have a 6mm allen wrench and a 10mm socket to pull the pull start housing.

Did you remove the pulley with your SLP? I have SLP and now concerned but I did remove the pulley. And does your sled feel like it is fat on the bottom end with the SLP?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the pulley with your SLP? I have SLP and now concerned but I did remove the pulley. And does your sled feel like it is fat on the bottom end with the SLP?

Ya,.. but it looks like it touched the can. It was short enough I was able to tie another note,.. I am wondering if its because wind rewind is not retracting properly.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Have heard of 7 fail now. 2 in red deer, the one in the picture above in sicamous and a few others. the cranks are failing/ oil line coming off for a reason the oil line its self is not the cause is a result. I put 2 km on mine had plans for a turbo and decided id sit this year on the bench got rid of the 850 and picked up another 800. Not all will have issues rode with 3 in November and 2 worked great the 3rd one wouldn't start for about 2 hours then came around. I could have taken a chance and put some miles on it but just didn't work for me I leave my sleds in sicamous year round and didn't want to have to deal with a down motor or take a chance putting aturbo on one and have it fail. I could have kept it stock but after years of tubos and veing 2 other 800's sitting there with turbos it would never get used and end up a community sled for anyone that smashed or broke down so I made a few ollars ad picked up a 800 that I know will work

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have 2 weekends on mine now, this last weekend out the power came on and ran like a top. 3 feet at times with no tracks the 174 3.2 had no issues getting around. There is so much **** talk out there about this motor and a lot of people not knowing what they are talking about. Some have an assembly line issue (it happens to all of them no matter brand) the issue will cause some PTO crank bearings to fail and thats that. Polaris has engines on the shelf ready to ship if someone encounters the issue, this is proven already with the one in BC he already has 100km on his new engine. This sled rips for stock and handles like a dream gets out of the snow fast and power is smooth. Spinning 68 grams at 8300..... its making power, with some clutching it will pick up speed. Going down hill they tend to load up a bit but clears itself with a snap of the throttle. Its not the SLP can it does it with the stock can as well. If you sled does not start on the 3rd pull hold it wide open when you pull it again and it will always start. This is the first year of the mass production run so expect some minor adjustments. Belt deflection is way out on all of them so check it and fix it it takes 10 seconds to do. Im looking forward to the aftermarket products that will be available soon for this sled because there is lots left on the table.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have 2 weekends on mine now, this last weekend out the power came on and ran like a top. 3 feet at times with no tracks the 174 3.2 had no issues getting around. There is so much **** talk out there about this motor and a lot of people not knowing what they are talking about. Some have an assembly line issue (it happens to all of them no matter brand) the issue will cause some PTO crank bearings to fail and thats that. Polaris has engines on the shelf ready to ship if someone encounters the issue, this is proven already with the one in BC he already has 100km on his new engine. This sled rips for stock and handles like a dream gets out of the snow fast and power is smooth. Spinning 68 grams at 8300..... its making power, with some clutching it will pick up speed. Going down hill they tend to load up a bit but clears itself with a snap of the throttle. Its not the SLP can it does it with the stock can as well. If you sled does not start on the 3rd pull hold it wide open when you pull it again and it will always start. This is the first year of the mass production run so expect some minor adjustments. Belt deflection is way out on all of them so check it and fix it it takes 10 seconds to do. Im looking forward to the aftermarket products that will be available soon for this sled because there is lots left on the table.

Why is that sled for sale on Kijiji? not trying to be an A** but im just curious.... i seen it and i was wondering

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id be doing a borescope of the 850 engine. One guy did his after Indy Dans findings and he seen the same.

Anybody who knows Indy Dan is knows this guy is very credible.
Here are pics of a brand new 850 poo engine, the hone is very poor on the cylinder and the coating on the piston is coming off.

06168a2266734fdc4f0206ecdcd4d22a.jpg
b27ea29785d9f52d67b8815713ac1966.jpg

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to Dan, his piston pictures were from his new sled / 0 miles, fired up in the trailer and put into his shop.
PTO bearing doesn't sound like good news either.....
(Quoted from Snowest / Indy Dan)

"Why don't you tell us why Polaris decided to use a PTO bearing with no outer lock ring ?

I hope you realize that if every 850 thats in the field has the same PTO bearing set up that i am looking at......it means only one thing and one thing only.

a full 100% recall because this will never hold up.

This would be the very reason ALL 800 - 3 year warranty Indy Specialty motors do NOT use Polaris PTO bearings.

They all have twin bearing with a PTO lock ring machined into the case.

ALL OF THEM !!

as a matter of fact..... The Polaris 800 PTO bearings are bad enough that we do not even use them in our 1 year warrnty short rod motors.

We use 2 Small Block center bearings because i have a million of them and they never fail.

Fuji always used PTO lockers...... No problems.

The ski-doo 850 has a PTO locker...

A floating PTO bearing ( in a snowmobile is a death sentence ) the clutch
slapping belt at engangement is like a slide hammer.

The bearing will never stay put..... no matter how tight the case is.

I suppose you are going to tell me i am wrong about this also..... ?

I got news for you ADDIE........If all the 850's are like the ones at my shop right now.

Turn out the lights and start the recall.

A floating PTO bearing will be a 100% failure accross the board.

if they didn't have CVT clutches it might be different.

Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attached just a few picture so you can see what went on today while ADDIE was bothering me with details about honing we have moved on from.

See attachments.

The only thing i didn't attach was the stock 850 PTO bearing without the groove.

As we speak we are machining fixtures to hold the crankcase to except the new lock ring bearing.

Dan
850 PTO bearing with machine bearing sitting in crankcase for location.JPG 850 PTO bearing fresh machined groove.JPG

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom