800r motor id

mullenc525

Reaction score
HI,

I have a 07 XRS supposedly with a warranty 800r motor in it. The motor needs a top end at bare minimum.

How can I id the motor? The serial is 00502668R, stamped in another place is 6812690 and the motor number is M6387999.

I am yet to measure the crank runout, but I understand if it truly is an 800r and runout is OK it may be worth installing a piston and cylinder. I may also consider regreasing the crank, as I understand one of the crank failure modes is losing the grease in the bearings. It looks like there is a bunch of grease in the pull starter, not certain yet.

Thanks

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
800r is a monoblock...the old 800ho is not. Easy to see. If it is an 07 XRS, it should have an 800r motor. That's what came in it anyway.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HI,

I have a 07 XRS supposedly with a warranty 800r motor in it. The motor needs a top end at bare minimum.

How can I id the motor? The serial is 00502668R, stamped in another place is 6812690 and the motor number is M6387999.

I am yet to measure the crank runout, but I understand if it truly is an 800r and runout is OK it may be worth installing a piston and cylinder. I may also consider regreasing the crank, as I understand one of the crank failure modes is losing the grease in the bearings. It looks like there is a bunch of grease in the pull starter, not certain yet.

Thanks

from when i had mine apart there is some ways to tell.... first all the 800r's had caged piston bearings..... if it is the newer 800r [ done under warranty ] it will have a r stamped somewhere close to the block stoper [ the area the stoper goes against ] ....

mine took a cylinder down late last year and i have yet to tear it down [ looks like the piston rind locating pin feel out and made a mess ] i had the r on mine and fact caged bearings ....

i'm going to tear it down either way and at least grease the crank bearings while its down.... its not worth a helicopter ride cause i cheaped out...

mullenc525

Reaction score
Right I remember they all came with 800r's but the 800r was updated later on. I was told the motor was a warranty update, but only one piston had a caged bearing so I've probably been had. I couldn't find an R on the case but I didn't know exactly where to look.

If its a non-R motor, I wonder if I should even consider putting it back together without a full refresh.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right I remember they all came with 800r's but the 800r was updated later on. I was told the motor was a warranty update, but only one piston had a caged bearing so I've probably been had. I couldn't find an R on the case but I didn't know exactly where to look.

If its a non-R motor, I wonder if I should even consider putting it back together without a full refresh.

hey i got mine apart and brp just put in a 07 800r again.... my buddy was told it was the new version.... fuggin bastages.....

a piece of the mag inner bearing got sucked up to the top and messed up the top end mag side.... is that what happened to yours.... 1200 miles since the doo warranty engine is bull chit.....

Top Bottom