800 r crate motors

spitfire

Reaction score
Trying to sell my 07 with the original motor (2800 kilo). It appears that I will have to sell it much lower than I anticipated. Does any one know what a crate motor is worth as I am thinking of buying and installing a new motor to cut my losses. Thanks in advance.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
dont bother with the crate motor... its a sled they all break... if you doubt this buy a case of beer and a lawn chair, sit at the parking lot and count the sleds that come down on the hook... there will not be a noticible pattern. lol
i'll give you 3500 bucks no questions asked...lol

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
yep.. i'll even embroider your name on the back of the chair.. you drink warm bohemian right

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aren't complete engines like 4 grand?

Many 07's with original motors were ticking time bombs. That's why people avoid them. Many didn't make it past 2000 km's. Consider yourself lucky.

This is why I bought an 06 when the 07's were the same or less.

If you want, maybe service the engine yourself? I believe all problems were with the crank. Why not split the case, and get the new parts, or new bottom end? Will be a heck of a lot cheaper. The other option is to sell it at a loss, which might be the best thing because nobody really believes the seller. Just be honest and say you suggest doing the service. That way the buyer knows what he/she is getting, and once done, they know it was done their way, and that it was actually done and not quoted as being done.

Good luck.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i was under the understanding that the difference had to do with the unregulated crank bearing temp. and inherent failure due to it. to just split the cases and replace bearings would not accomplich anything other than having a new bottom end. would this not be the same thing.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If your going to take a bigger loss than anticipated, why not just trade it in? Let the dealer worry about it. That's why they have low trade in values anyway. I would not spend a dime on it unless you were going to keep it. Just sayin'

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i had one of those sleds and the dealer trade in will make you vomit..

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was under the understanding that the difference had to do with the unregulated crank bearing temp. and inherent failure due to it. to just split the cases and replace bearings would not accomplich anything other than having a new bottom end. would this not be the same thing.

I'm not sure. I only looked at them at the time I was buying and at the time there wasn't much knowledge as to why they were all siezing/going with such low mileage.

Top Bottom