800-174 VS 850-165. Which is better?

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a big fat yes. The 850 handles way better, night and day, but mechanical wise it's a nightmare.
From what I have seen it will be good for a while and then things start to go south almost in rapid succession, one issue after another.
1. Drivers ratchet b/c there are less teeth doing the work.
2. To fix this, it's recommended to make track singing tight. Now the suspension cant work properly, the tunnel can fold and /or the driveshaft bends. Customer usually pays for damage.
3. Uses a ton of oil. Like 15-1 or more.
4. Chains stretch like crazy and the chain adjuster can back off.
5. Primary clutch.
6. Wheelies too much and tends to want to come over backwards on steep stuff.

Unless tied into the manufacturer by way of sponsor or deal, most hard core 850 riders have switched brands due to lack of support with 850 issues.

Do you own a 850?

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No, I do not. I find it difficult sometimes to disect truth from fiction from some of the posts I read. Some owners say best machine they have ever rode. Others like kane say biggest POS ever built. The reason I ask is to find out if it's first hand experience by owning one or the classic line... It's my buddy's sled and I'm speaking for him.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Maybe you should go sledding some time and test ride your buddies' 850 and form your own opinion...
No, I do not. I find it difficult sometimes to disect truth from fiction from some of the posts I read. Some owners say best machine they have ever rode. Others like kane say biggest POS ever built. The reason I ask is to find out if it's first hand experience by owning one or the classic line... It's my buddy's sled and I'm speaking for him.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should go sledding some time and test ride your buddies' 850 and form your own opinion...

That being said, whether I buy one or (test ride my buddies' 850) I know for a fact that it would be by far the best machine out there that I have EVER ridden!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmmm doolaide.
Wait this is you Mike
4755d10a335bad9906cd11b88ecfd656.jpg

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think that anyone who can truly ride can say that the difference today in a stock sleds ability to make you a better rider is so small that its not much of an advantage. Ive seen every brand be able to do crazy lines and pulls on the hills because of the RIDER, not because of the sled.

Now once a stock turbo 2 stroke comes out....... well that's a different story.... my money is on doo.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think that anyone who can truly ride can say that the difference today in a stock sleds ability to make you a better rider is so small that its not much of an advantage. Ive seen every brand be able to do crazy lines and pulls on the hills because of the RIDER, not because of the sled.

Now once a stock turbo 2 stroke comes out....... well that's a different story.... my money is on doo.

Ya I heard they're testing one. Probably a mid season release. lol

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I heard they're testing one. Probably a mid season release. lol

they have been testing one for at least the last 5 years if you follow the rumors.... been trying to time my sled upgrade so its not the year before it comes out. I swear i always upgrade on the wrong year at least when it comes to lugs. Bought a 2.25" the year before the 2.5" and bought a 2.5" the year before the t3.

i have 2 trains of thought on a stock turbo, every 5 years they do a redesign, so 2021 or 2022, or they drop it next year kind like the etec was released in the xp 3 years before the xm chassis. How much stock psi will be the next benchmark for each new release. I think we have hit the lug and track length limits for whats usable and ride-able for almost every situation.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you focus on rumors that support your case and ignore all the info pointing in the other direction then yes it would be hard to deny that a turbo 2 stroke is an absolute certainty.

Top Bottom