800-174 VS 850-165. Which is better?

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
That's a big fat yes. The 850 handles way better, night and day, but mechanical wise it's a nightmare.
From what I have seen it will be good for a while and then things start to go south almost in rapid succession, one issue after another.
1. Drivers ratchet b/c there are less teeth doing the work.
2. To fix this, it's recommended to make track singing tight. Now the suspension cant work properly, the tunnel can fold and /or the driveshaft bends. Customer usually pays for damage.
3. Uses a ton of oil. Like 15-1 or more.
4. Chains stretch like crazy and the chain adjuster can back off.
5. Primary clutch.
6. Wheelies too much and tends to want to come over backwards on steep stuff.

Unless tied into the manufacturer by way of sponsor or deal, most hard core 850 riders have switched brands due to lack of support with 850 issues.

Last edited:

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol don't think so unless u crack a bulkhead or keep blowing belts then I would say yes !

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol don't think so unless u crack a bulkhead or keep blowing belts then I would say yes !
Thesled is a dealer demo and all updates are done so I hope no blowing belts. I’m hoping the different pitch track and the little extra cc will even out.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thesled is a dealer demo and all updates are done so I hope no blowing belts. I’m hoping the different pitch track and the little extra cc will even out.

I have customers who love their 174 T3's better than the G4 But I found the G4 feels much lighter to handle and that makes it better in my opinion. I was surprised the G4 did not feel like it had the HP I expected but torque was very good. Likened it to a diesel over gas. This is Not how others described it to me though.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the same switch last season and really liked the 850. Rode for 9xx km trouble free, pull and go, sled ran awesome and handles great. I didn't believe it, but the 165 climbs just as good as the 174 and no wheelie issues with the limiter strap set correctly.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I rode the 2015 174 for 2 years (6000 km) and an 850 last year. The 850 is head and shoulders above the T3, for my riding style. 3000 km and no issues on the G4; still the original belt. I didn't notice a power increase (really what is 5% going to do??) but I did notice the big difference in torque and the track's ability to get out of the snow. The track on the G4 is harder and chews into the snow better than the T3 which has a tendency for the soft paddles to fold on harder surfaces. I rode more places and got there easier with the G4 compared to the T3. Ride it and enjoy.

You must have some warranty on the 2017???

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must have some warranty on the 2017???[/QUOTE]

yeah there’s warranty for another 2 years. I picked it up as a left over But it’s an SP.
i found a great deal on a 17 demo X. I prefer the bars, shocks and running boards on the 17.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been out with 174s and the 850s last year, over the course of three days it was evident that the stock 174 was leader.. Handling was the biggest concern for the 850s.. Where your skis are two feet in the air, your not making ground speed like you should be..

jumped on a few and was quick to see how much body it took to handle, stability in steep and deep is essential

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Don,

I have both a 165 and 175 850. I prefer the 165 so far. I dont believe you will miss the 174, but it will take you a while to get use to the chassis. The xm chassis was very stable but took a bit more to move. The 850 is extremely nimble.

CanDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi

I had a 2015 174 -- loved the sled
I have a 2017 850- a few issues -- but lets focus on riding

the 174 was incredible in the steep and deep -- on those super deep days -- there was nothing better -- however the 165 works awesome for 98% of the days -- I ride the trees so -- the torque is incredible -- the G4 is VERY nimble -- I ride with friends who have not switched to the G4 and still ride the T3 -- I have switched back and forth between G4 and the T3--the T3 felt really heavy -- and slow -- certainly I had to work a lot harder do the same things the G4 does easily and with little input.
I have had all the updates to the 2017 -- so -- fingers crossed -- no issues this year --
If I had the $$ -- I would have a 175 for the 5 or 6 super deep days -- and the 165 for the rest of the time ...

T

www.sled-revy.com

DirtyDangles

Reaction score
All the guys I ride with switched over to the '17 850 165's last year, some had belt issues and some we fine...

funniest response I've ever heard was from a friend who rides over 40 days a year say while blowing a belts every 250km +/-, "it may cost be almost a Dollar a km in belts, but still the best P.O.S. i ever rode!";)

Doo2015

Reaction score
Hey Don,

I have both a 165 and 175 850. I prefer the 165 so far. I dont believe you will miss the 174, but it will take you a while to get use to the chassis. The xm chassis was very stable but took a bit more to move. The 850 is extremely nimble.

why do you prefer the 165?

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do you prefer the 165?
I had both sleds last year, a 15 T3 174 and a 17 165, it really all depends on the day and your riding style. There was a couple days last year in bottomless powder that the 174 seemed to tractor around a bit better and might marginally out climb the 165 but if your in any type of technical terrain the G chassis will make you look ten years younger! The 850 comes over so easily and Manuvers remarkablely better than the 174. The 174 was a great trouble free sled but it's been replaced with a 175 for me this year!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only have one ride on mine and didnt get to really test it out, but from the few meadows I found that were safe to carve around and whip some donuts, I found the biggest difference with this new chassis is that the tipping point is so much more forgiving. I loved the XP, XM and T3 but I found they all had a pretty fine line on the tipping point. Where it takes some effort to get it over and then its kind of all or nothing. I found the G4 easier to lay over and kind of more linear in the amount of force it takes to bring it over all the way through. I dont know if my description makes any sense but I really love the sled so far. Cant wait to get it into some good snow.

Top Bottom