8-09 xp

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anything to whatch for with the 08-09 xp when buying used.ive had a rev for the last 4 years,want to upgrade but not to familiar with the tipical xp problems.thanks guys..

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone,they must be problem free...

HAHAHA 08 DEFINEATELY NOT PROBLEM FREE LOL
u ready
clutching is bad, needs new everything almost or 09 clutch or a DJ kit approx $500
track is a bit of a trencher $800ishfor 2.5 non ported ce
look out for the oil cable at the bottom of the engine it freys then breaks and she runs with oil injection wide open, it wont blow up but she run too rich so day is done
they need venting for sure
I did the 06 T stat to avoid heat soak but some say not necasary
take off your secondary and replace hex bolts on the back side with a 10mm head as they can losen off and wreck your day, with the 10mm you can tighten and check them with clutch on,, this happened to 3 sleds in our group last year.
hmm what else lol,, they are good sleds otherwise haha
some guys had issues with the heated grips as well but most were fixed under warranty

the 09 has updated clutching but I think the oil cable is still a issue
same track as well

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are only a handfull of people watching the sled specific forums when it is 30 degrees out, so sometimes you have to be a little patient when looking for specific info.

2008's were obviously the first model year and came with their fair share of issues. There were a number of updates to "fix" those issues. Belt life was a big issue on a lot of the '08s. The 08 was running the 166 series belt during its introduction and was blowing alot of them. During that time people tried adding venting and changed gearing to increase belt life. The bigger fix came when they opted to run the 377 belt and also look at secondary alignment as some '08s had very poor alignment. Any higher mileage 08's likely have any belt issues sorted out. There were also driveshaft failures in 08 that there was a "fix" for and were replaced by the dealer. The stock Challenger Lite track with the very stiff paddles was also a big problem and many delaminated. I tend to think had the Challenger Lite track not been ported there would have been fewer track issues. Handwarmer's tend to fail due to breaks in the wiring.

Typically any '08 around have had all the updates for the gauges, ECM, temp sensors, drive shafts and such at this point, I believe the top speed recorder on the gauges was taken off the 08's once updated... In 09 the ported tracks continues, although there were no Challenger Lites. Not as many belt blowing issues, but some people were still running the 166 belts and complain of problems, I wonder why. Venting, recommened still, but many people don't vent their sleds and have no issues when running the 377. Sticky DPM's showed up on some 09's and the "fix" was lubing it with WD40. Otherwise it needed to be replaced. The valving on the 2008 rear shocks was reportedly very poor on many sleds. Also recommended to have heavier rear springs put in.

At this point, any 800R over 2000miles is likely in need of a top end, if not a complete rebuild. I've been told by one engine builder that the 800R's basically need new piston/rings every 1000 miles. After replacing mine, I could agree. But many people have zero issues with the 800R. Crank runout has to be checked to see if it is in spec. Any signs of isoflex greese coming out on the PTO (primary) side needs to likely have some crank work.

The material used in current ski-doo primary and secondary rollers doesn't seem to last as long. Other options are out there. The primary ramps were changed in 09 as well. Look for any cracks in the primary halves. There is a bushing in the sliding halve that wears out sometimes, as well the governor cup has a bushing that wears. If not caught there have been some instances of cracking, in part due to vibrating.

Idealy, if looking for a used sled, look for a 2010. There was a rear suspension geometry change which helps controling the sled. Essentially its a longer front skid shock. If any sled you have comes with the heavily ported stock track 2008-2010, consider replacing it with a Camo Extreme 2.5", or a take off 2.25" from a 2011. The added floatation and less chance of breakage is well worth it.

Don't be surprised if on a used sled, one ski sits back further than the other. 1-2". Look at where the springs go through the a-arms, one may seem close to the front or back of the arm. Its usually minor as the s-module is likely tweaked. You can fix it, but it doesn't effect the sled all that much and with out bracing it will bend again. When you add bracing you just lend yourself to bending something else that isn't as easily fixed.

And thanks Johni, forgot about the oil cables. Didn't hear of it alot on the '09.

Last edited:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahaha thanks take the bounce thats a much better write up!!!!

hey you want to do my top end lol??? I will pay you seem to have these XP's dialed....

and yeah I forgot about crank bearing the biggest expense if she goes lol,, I do have some isoflex splatter on clutch cover so mine is seeping for sure...

and just dont ride at full thorttle for 5 minutes at a time let her cool her and there....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't accept payment for wrenching on sleds, but I don't mind drinking your beer and watching you wrench on your own, haha

Much of the stuff I know is through trial and error, research and friends. If there is anything specific just let me know.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys,im looking at a couple right now needed help asap,good info,want to come to gp a look with me?lol...the one is a 09 with a dj kit(i also have a 08 rev with a dj kit,will never go without one again)its already vented,have to look at that cable,thats a easy replace anyway.by the way we havent seen over 25 all summer,time for snow

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
front cooler lower rivets ,oil jug leaks from lid ,fuel tank rubs on cooler,y pipe bolts,handle bar swich lets snow in,add grease fittings to spindle,rear suspension sage replace with r503191289-L503191287, clutch tower brace,

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had a choice I'd go with the 09. Other than the rear suspension sag they were a pretty good sled. Updated 08's are a decent sled but they must have all the updates. A dealer can check into that for you.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 154 XP got ripped off last yr and it was a great sled around 2500k and had to do clutch, SLP vent on primary airbox. Replaced with 09 163 changing the track to 2.5 nonported, Getting rid of primary and secondary airboxes and going with Timbersled pods, Had em on my RT and worked great just got to mount sensors in the right spots. I would go with the 09 over the first yr model. Good luck Happy hunting and:beer:

Top Bottom