7.3L or 6.0L

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if has been mentioned, but the biggest problem with the 6.0 is the EGR. Read some posts on how bad EGR is for diesel and you will start to understand.

If you can get a low km version and delete the EGR you will start to get some reliability back. The biggest struggle they have had is trying to deal with the crap the EGR pumps back into the intake. Did you know besides loading it up with all kinds of crap it turns the oil acidic? Not good for steel in general...

Another issue (and ford and GM lovers will hate me), is a V8 diesel is a challenge from get go. You can't get enough stroke on a V block, you have lower compression - so you have a bit of compromise here. This is why the Cummins and all other in lines generally start and run better and have better low end torque. Not that it makes the V8's horrible, but this will always be true to some extent no matter what you do (simple geometry) in-line will always have an inherent advantage. You can make the block as wide as you want and have all kinds of room for the crank and a longer stroke, you can't do this with the V block - it is a limiting factor on compression ratio. Cummins 5.9 is 22:1. There is no v8 that is this high, the Ford 6.0 is closer to 16:1 I think. I have both, I know how they run.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run both 7.3 service truck and my personal truck is a 6.0 L love them both
but my 6.0l kick butt are last trip to mcbride and back i weight out with five sleds and and four guys and all the gear under 16000 lbs and 18 miles to gallon fuel bill from stony to mcbride and back appox 160.00 and that using four wheel drive part of way that my two cents

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7.3 hands down i personally have made just under 600hp with mine till i kicked a rod building a new motor for it now aiming for 700 not cheap for aftermarket rods but this motor is bullet proof to pretty serious power mods till it kicks the bucket she had 309,000km when she let go

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both my trucks have worked hard, but rarely go over 5,000km without an oil change. I'll usually change it early if I know I may go over, on a road trip. I use motorcraft oil/filter from ford on the 6.0 and Fram/Castrol in the 7.3. Green coolant in the 7.3 and gold OEM coolant from ford in the 6.0.

i would think twice about using that fram oil filter man. there is a post i made under the tow rigs forum all about it, i think it was titled "for those who didnt know". basically it says how i found out that fram is junk and everyone agrees. check it out. lots of good info there from all the snow and mudders on what other filter brands are good better and best

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
deffinately the 7.3 ive owned mine for about 4 years now basically trouble free. ive got 226,000k on it and it runs better every day. sure i know ppl with 6.0L that run fine. but they have a higher flaw rate. and aswell the 6.0L starts to self distruct once there chiped without having the egr delete and the head stud upgrade done. the way i see it is you can cross your fingers with the 6.0L or have faith with a 7.3L. but if you do get a 6.0L, the later the year the better like the 07, 08. stay away from 03 through 05 those were bad times. and most importantly do your research on the vehicle your lookin at. run the vin at your local dealer for service history. it helps define the condition of your truck. just my :twocents:

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH2NmxXEUJQ[/media]

I found this guys videos very informative before i bought my diesel. He has a great website for ford owners as well.

I have had 4 ford gas jobs, but after researching a bit i just couldn't go ford diesel, i have 3 friends that have 6.0 L and they cost them alot of extra money, head gaskets, injectors etc... according to these videos the 7.3 is bullit proof just couldn't find one

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I shopped hard (3 months!) for a nice clean 100,000 mile F350 4X4 Dually. I found a 2001 in Texas and imported it. I needed a few more ponies so I've added a 4" turbo back exhaust and AFE Stage 2 intake (thanks ST Custom and Performance!). Call DP tuner, they make an incredible chip for Fords it has more than enough ponies now. Keep shopping you won't regret buying a 7.3, mine is always pulling something and never misses a beat. Good Luck!

Attachments

• Cec & Vance TMV'S 003.jpg
    Cec & Vance TMV'S 003.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Stock Pictures 004.jpg
    Stock Pictures 004.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Stock Pictures 006.jpg
    Stock Pictures 006.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

dony409

Reaction score
the 7.3 was a strong engine (being a dodge fan) we se alot of 7.3s on the highway but we see and have towed double that amount of 6.0s keep the 7.3

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should i stay with the old 2002 ford f350 7.3 or go with a 2007 ford f250 6.0L.
Anyone have anything good to say about the 6L

I have a 02 F250 7.3L and a 06 f350 6.0L. Stay with the 7.3L!!!. You will be disappointed with the 6.0L...its crap!.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard Ford was sueing International for the chit engines Ford used of theirs. I wonder, when Ford wins some cash from them, will they send me a cheque?????? hehe.

Top Bottom