600 xcr woes

mc800efi

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this forum. My name is Brad and currently own a few sleds, 02 Mountain Cat 800 efi, 95 polaris xcr 600 triple, 93 ski doo formula plus 580. I am from the edmonton area and typically ride in the Smoky Lake, Whitcourt area and the occasional blast to the mountains.

My question is about the Polaris: A little history on the sled, I have owned it for about 10 years and for the most part has been a decent sled. Two years ago I had the motor rebuilt and it ran well (typical triple bottom end bogging) but other than that pretty good. Had oil/gas accumulating in crankcase and bucked up to put in new needle and seats, problem cured. Still has bad bogging issues, I have gone thorugh carbs on several occasions and they are clean. It calls for 260 mains for this altitude, but has 240,s in now. Clutch Spring was replace around 3-4 years back (blue) last ride it started out ok and after an hour or so got even boggier than usual and I couldnt get it over 6000rpm. Replaced plugs and even clipped back wires to ensure good spark..nothing. Plugs appear good, not fouling. Should it matter about that small increment in jet sizing? Have clutch apart now (new belt). I should mention that I put an extension on from 121 to 133. I,m getting to my wits end with this sled and hoped that someone may have some new ideas for me to try without spending even more cash on this thing.
Thanks in advance for any input
Brad

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site. probably would have better luck if you posted in the mod/performance garage. I had a xlt same engine,the one in the wedge chassis, got so pissed wit it i solod it CHEAP, but being a sucker for punishment i bought another one. but the aggressive style body with the factory piped engine and reeds. runs a bit better and its a new engine my other one had 6500miles on it before the odometer quirt midseason last year. Have you checked your carb boots, seals on crank, is it piped, i had pipes on mine and if they got cold engine ran like poo. but once it got hot go like stink.but had lots of headaches getting it to run proper.may be a vacumn problem though if boots or seal are cracked or seal is hard and leaking. if i remember right i was all the way down to a 190 main jet. but my theory is if it ran good before with 230s why wont it now? hope this helps. welcome

Top Bottom