6 Rookies Going To Quartz

Full Curl

Reaction score
There will be 6 of us flat-landers heading to Quartz at the end of Feb. Any tips on what to bring/ not bring and some good places to play there?
Thanks.

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Bring Avy gear, don't bring drugs and alchol:d and if there is fresh snow you will find lots of places to play forsure

Full Curl

Reaction score
Got the avy gear and we're all past bringing that other stuff. Any areas in particular to steer clear of?
Thanks.

Full Curl

Reaction score
Coming from Sundre and Calgary. Kind of a bachelor party before buddy gets hitched in March.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When are u going? If I'm out there I'd be happy to take a few mins and show you the area so you can gain your bearings. Its pretty standard. What are your riding capabilities? have you guys ever been to the hills?

Full Curl

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. We will be riding on the 26th if all goes as planned.
As far as riding skills, we have a couple real green fellas coming and some of us aren't too bad as far as riders. (IMO) None of us have been to the REAL hills so it's sure to be an experience. We're all well aware of avy danger, getting stuck etc. but some tips on where to/ not to play would be appreciated. Staying in Golden on the night of the 25th and having GSR trailer rentals out in the am.
Thanks again.

tmurphy

Reaction score
As far as riding skills, we have a couple real green fellas coming and some of us aren't too bad as far as riders. (IMO) None of us have been to the REAL hills so it's sure to be an experience. We're all well aware of avy danger, getting stuck etc. but some tips on where to/ not to play would be appreciated. Staying in Golden on the night of the 25th and having GSR trailer rentals out in the am.
Thanks again.

I would highly recommend hiring a guide for the day,especially if you haven't spent much time on the REAL hills. They'll show you where and where not to play and keep the group as safe as possible.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to Aaron at GSR about getting somebody to show you around. He's a good chit and won't steer you wrong. Quartz is pretty basic, but has lots of areas that a new rider shouldn't be,IMO. If you get fresh snow you should be good for the day in the valley to the left of the cabin. Watch out for creeks.

Sucks trying to ride with a hangover. Good luck!:beer:

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
I am over due for a golden trip forsure, I would come out there and ride with you guys been to quartz a few times and know the basic areas pretty good. I will know a little closer to the time whether work will allow for it forsure or not.

Full Curl

Reaction score
Talk to Aaron at GSR about getting somebody to show you around. He's a good chit and won't steer you wrong. Quartz is pretty basic, but has lots of areas that a new rider shouldn't be,IMO. If you get fresh snow you should be good for the day in the valley to the left of the cabin. Watch out for creeks.

Sucks trying to ride with a hangover. Good luck!:beer:

Won't be any hung over riding guaranteed. Will talk to GSR about someone showing us around for sure. A buddy of mine said we should go to Silent instead, but between getting the sleds trailered out and the ride into there it would really shorten our playtime wouldn't it? What do you guys take to eat when riding?

Full Curl

Reaction score
I am over due for a golden trip forsure, I would come out there and ride with you guys been to quartz a few times and know the basic areas pretty good. I will know a little closer to the time whether work will allow for it forsure or not.

Keep in touch. Someone with some knowledge of the area might be a real good thing!
Thanks.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in touch. Someone with some knowledge of the area might be a real good thing!
Thanks.
absolutely I think it is very important to have some one that has some experience in the hills if its the first time for you boys.. a guide will go along way to successful ride.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Won't be any hung over riding guaranteed. Will talk to GSR about someone showing us around for sure. A buddy of mine said we should go to Silent instead, but between getting the sleds trailered out and the ride into there it would really shorten our playtime wouldn't it? What do you guys take to eat when riding?

Silent is a long ways in for a trail ride, especially with newer riders. If something goes bad its 44 kms on a rough trail of towing or riding out to get help. If you are dead set on Silent, sat phone is highly recommended but IMO I would play safe in Quartz. You will hear the horror stories that Quartz is all tracked out and if you want any sort of fresh snow, Silent is the place to be, Don't buy into the garbage talk, everytime i've heard someone say Quartz is trashed, I have gone there the next day and found fresh snow all over the place. most people just don't look around when they are riding to see it.

dschwindt

Reaction score
Heading to quartz this weekend will let you know how it goes. Suppose to be some snow on the way in Golden this weekend.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks again.

Yuor going with Kevin from the certigard... i know cause i said that i would go that day and show you guys around. No woorys you guys will have fun at Quartz and i called GSR to see if he would give you a better price on the rentals

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't take new riders into Silent....IMHO.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't take new rides to silent either.....

too far to run some one out hurt or a broken sled.....

Full Curl

Reaction score
Yuor going with Kevin from the certigard... i know cause i said that i would go that day and show you guys around. No woorys you guys will have fun at Quartz and i called GSR to see if he would give you a better price on the rentals

Thanks for that! How do you know Kevin?

Top Bottom