6 miles/gallon!!

jlieske1

Reaction score
Is this what is causing my bad fuel mileage?

IMG_0474.jpg IMG_0473.jpg

I am replacing them with a set of V-force reeds but I am curious if this is my problem. I looked into the basics thinking I was going to see a sore thumb some where but nothing stuck out except this. I would be alright with the mileage if I was breaking trail all day but it has been average riding. Drive line is in good condition, carbs are clean (400 mains and 17.t pilots) and I put a new brp short block in about 500 kms ago due to crank runout (my primary fell apart). I just bought this sled in Dec so I don't know if it's always been this way. I'm also replacing the oil pump because it is running about 14 to 1. I did put a new cable on (it was frayed) and adjusted it all the way down to nothing. The oil pump looked like it was returning fine but I don't know what else to do to fix it. So much for the good deal I got! HA! Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to ask but is the cable all the way down in the sleeve...where you adjust oil cable. Is there tension on the armfrom pump on the cable end?. Its funny about mileage. I installed a set of VF3 when I did my top end at 3000k. My stock looked a little worse than that. First day out did 130k on 36 liters, second day used 32 liters in 45k but we were powder riding. Are you leaking unburnt oil out of your y-pipe? Is it smoking a lot? Hows plugs?

jlieske1

Reaction score
Yes the cable is all the way down in the sleeve and yes there is tension. I pulled the pump today and it was a little sticky in one spot but seemed to be fine after I worked it a bit so maybe when it gets warm it gets worse (grasping at straws). There was a black spot after every time I stopped where the exhaust was and its smoking quite a bit (a little embarrassing riding with E-TECs). The plugs are black as well but didn't foul.

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had so much crap ozzing out of my y-pipe it looked like I had a weiner cooker on it...haha. I heard there is a thread on Dootalk about someone using a sewingmaching washer or? to fix the oiler problem. If I find it , I will post it. You are more than welcome to mine if you need or want to play with it. Pumps like a damn when you put an electric drill on it. I was glad to put the 07 one on

jlieske1

Reaction score
LOL! Ya thanks Farmerboy I am kind of interested to figure the problem out because as you know a new pump is $330 but I think I'm going to have to just fork out the cash for a new pump and then figure it out later. Thanks. I take it a new pump solved the problem?

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OOOHHH YYYAAA!!!! A guy came riding and he has a M8 Cat....crap..its like his mother-in-law was riding on the hood. Anyway he was used to punching the Cat to make it go. I let him ride mine after all the work and tuning..he punched it and he barrell rolled off the back. I have the new pump set at 36:1 at the moment

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe something in your carb or jet fell out,or came lose,,,, something to check not sure if this will help you

jlieske1

Reaction score
The carbs look ok but I don't know too much about carbs. Nothing was falling apart on them, jets are in tight and clean (400 mains and 17.5 pilots) and the fuel screws are 1 1/2 turns out.

jlieske1

Reaction score
Oh ya, I checked the fuel pump diaphragm to make sure it wasn't leaking straight into the crank case threw the vacuume line and I checked to make sure my choke wasn't a little bit on. I'm stumped.

jlieske1

Reaction score
Well, new oil pump and new reeds are installed. It is not fun removing and installing the oil pump while the engine is in!! To bad I'm probably not going to get out again this year. Hopefully my problems are solved. Thanks for the help farmerboy

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I solved my oil problem by adding a return spring to the pump... the throttle pull is harder (will have to look for a lighter spring) but my oil consumption was 20:1 before the oil spring.

After I put the spring I also adjusted the oil cable a little went down to 40:1, then I adjusted it back a tiny bit and i've been getting 30:1 now. Perfect !

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, new oil pump and new reeds are installed. It is not fun removing and installing the oil pump while the engine is in!! To bad I'm probably not going to get out again this year. Hopefully my problems are solved. Thanks for the help farmerboy

Glad you got it going!! By the way did you go with the 07 pump or the ones before?

Last edited:

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on Where are you sledding this weekend to try it out? I also should ask about yor reeds...did you get them changed out?

Last edited:

jlieske1

Reaction score
Right on Where are you sledding this weekend to try it out? I also should ask about yor reeds...did you get them changed out?
Probably not going to get out again this year which sucks but I will be ready for next year and I did get my new VForce put in but haven't put any miles on yet to see if it made any difference or not.

jlieske1

Reaction score
make sure to fill oil back in for the plastic gear
Thanks Niesly, I used a small syringe to inject oil into the block after I installed the new pump, topped up my oil tank and let it sit over night. That would suck to strip that gear off and if I hadn't just installed a short block I probably wouldn't have known about that plastic gear.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check to make sure ur choke cable isnt to tight(staying on),had this happen to my ol doo after puttin in a new long block,,,sled would run fine,but sure would suck the gas back,id be empty and buddys with similar sleds would be 1/2 full..

Top Bottom