4x4 truck trouble

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little off topic but lots of guys on here have 4x4 trucks!I have a 04 dodge 3 quarter ton 4x4 hemi that is giving me grief!The front end does what I could say is a power hop if I hit a fairly good crack or pot hole at hiway speed!I put new shocks and a heavier stabilizer shock on and it still does it!The front end starts to hop violently with short little bounces until you slow right down!Everything feels tight and no visible damage,ball joints were replaced after it first started this,it got better but it still does it just not as often!!Of course it doesn't do it when my mechanic is along for a test drive!He says maybe a tire is out of balance but I don't think so!Truck drives straight,no shimmy at low speeds or hiway until you hit a bump,tires are not cupped and they are wearing normally!!Any help would be great because I could see being taking to the cleaners with a shop trying to figure it out for me!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
they build them like that on purpose so you will never forget your driving a dodge.....:eek:

A little off topic but lots of guys on here have 4x4 trucks!I have a 04 dodge 3 quarter ton 4x4 hemi that is giving me grief!The front end does what I could say is a power hop if I hit a fairly good crack or pot hole at hiway speed!I put new shocks and a heavier stabilizer shock on and it still does it!The front end starts to hop violently with short little bounces until you slow right down!Everything feels tight and no visible damage,ball joints were replaced after it first started this,it got better but it still does it just not as often!!Of course it doesn't do it when my mechanic is along for a test drive!He says maybe a tire is out of balance but I don't think so!Truck drives straight,no shimmy at low speeds or hiway until you hit a bump,tires are not cupped and they are wearing normally!!Any help would be great because I could see being taking to the cleaners with a shop trying to figure it out for me!

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it have a track bar?
Bushings might be gone.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very comon.... track bar mabe , there is also an up dated steering setup thats way bigger...

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my Ford SD. It was fixed by replacing the mount bushings in my stering stabilizer. I found the best advice from Tire Warehouse on 99 st in south Ed

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
a little off topic but lots of guys on here have 4x4 trucks!i have a 04 dodge 3 quarter ton 4x4 hemi that is giving me grief!the front end does what i could say is a power hop if i hit a fairly good crack or pot hole at hiway speed!i put new shocks and a heavier stabilizer shock on and it still does it!the front end starts to hop violently with short little bounces until you slow right down!everything feels tight and no visible damage,ball joints were replaced after it first started this,it got better but it still does it just not as often!!of course it doesn't do it when my mechanic is along for a test drive!he says maybe a tire is out of balance but i don't think so!truck drives straight,no shimmy at low speeds or hiway until you hit a bump,tires are not cupped and they are wearing normally!!any help would be great because i could see being taking to the cleaners with a shop trying to figure it out for me!

this is called a "death wobble".......famous for the dodge 2500 and 3500 series trucks......
There is a diagnostic flowchart on alldata and mitchell on what to test to diagnose this. Most common on the dodges is the tie-rods worn out --- has your truck been updated to the newer tie-rod steering system?

In my '06 i actually went to a dual steering dampner, which really helped as well. Doo you have a lift kit in the truck? If so you may have to add more caster into the steering which will also help with the steering.

I also added the dodge front p/s box frame stiffner bar, which also made a big difference........

Hope this helped some

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have death wobble,.. but had major steering wander. I ordered and installed this and it works fantastic.

Don't mind the application it's for 2500/3500 diesel or gas.

saltywalt

Reaction score
BD Diesel also has them & they ship out of brooks. I had mine in 2 days

05Cummins

Reaction score
Steering stab and a thruen adjustable track bar and a good quality steering damper as long as your ball joints and tie rods etc are in spec.

This will in most cases end death woble and the Bump steer issue's

Top Bottom