4" Cognito Lift - Ball Joints?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, I've had my truck for a year and a half and am replacing my upper ball joints, one of which was just replaced in fall.

This is the kit I have:

Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for a diesel 3500?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should add that I also had to replace both rear Fox shocks that came with the kit because the bushings were pounded out.

Other than the rough Edmonton roads, it really hasn't seen any abuse. This truck only has 60k on it, about 55k of which has been highway.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Told ya eh

I've seen pounded oil field trucks with 100 km and still the same uppers as new

The new uppers on the newer trucks are solid, in stock forum

Lifts alter everything

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, yeah, you did tell me that it would be a pain. Even so, it doesn't seem right to have to replace ball joints every 20k. This time, they told me at least one of them was completely dry. I did let it go way longer than I normally do, but I had the truck in about 18k ago. A ball joint wouldn't go dry in 6mo/18K, would it?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends, not normal

But it also depends on who is greasing it, mabe put too much and blew the seal, then it all goes out

Or they never grease it at oil changes

But 18 K, even skiped grease I would say still ok

Lifts load parts harder than there normal

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 3500 crew long box
75000 Kms on Rancho 4 inch and everything is like new.
Have fox shocks which is what Cognito use.
Had to change a couple bushings but shocks are perfect.
I grease and service my own.
Grease every 3000 Kms as takes 5 minutes ( tops)
Run stock off set wheels thou. 20 inch GM wheels.
Truck is used 60 /40 with 60 being HWY.
275/65-20 Duratracs

rondun1

Reaction score
My buddy has a 2003 Chevy 3500 drw. It has a Cognito suspension installed. I had to do ball joints in the first 18000km. I was unable to get Cognito ball joints so I went to GM. I was told that the ball joint I had was from a heavy half ton with 7300lb suspension. Not a one ton ball joint. I have had to do these ball joints 3 times in the last couple of years. Not safe.....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a 2003 Chevy 3500 drw. It has a Cognito suspension installed. I had to do ball joints in the first 18000km. I was unable to get Cognito ball joints so I went to GM. I was told that the ball joint I had was from a heavy half ton with 7300lb suspension. Not a one ton ball joint. I have had to do these ball joints 3 times in the last couple of years. Not safe.....
Yes the older kits use 1/2 ton ball joints

Dean's is the new style and uses the stock upper control arm... Different set up totally

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the older kits use 1/2 ton ball joints

Dean's is the new style and uses the stock upper control arm... Different set up totally

Nope, my upper control arms are Cognito. Remember, you pointed out the 1/2 ton ball joints to me as soon as you took one look at them?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't recall that

The pic u put up that u thought was the kit u had, used the stock control arm

If u have the cog arms, no matter what u will change them too much

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did say don't do it cause of that

The post u put up with what lift u have is not it, it uses ur stock upper, and has a taller knuckle

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the saga continues...

This past December, I took it in again for sloppy suspension and steering. They told me the ball joints were good (which I was pretty sure wasn't true) and that the torsion keys were shot. I'm not a mechanic by any means that that just doesn't seem likely to me, much less possible.

Now I have it in again and they tell me both the upper and lower ball joints are toast. ...which doesn't surprise me at all since I was complaining about it to them back in December.

90,000km in 2.5 years, almost all highway driving (pavement princess for sure) and I've gone through 5 upper ball joints, two lowers, torsion keys, front shock bushings, and rear shock bushings. The 4" Cognito lift cost me $6000 right from the dealership and if I actually have to pay to get my truck back today, I'm probably in for over $5000 in repairs to it.

Any recommendations how to handle this? Think I am within my rights to ask for my money back (at least the over-inflated $6000 initial purchase) and go elsewhere?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's horrible . Sorry to hear that as I thought Cognito was the best system for GMC/Chev.
I am at 126780 Kms and other then a couple shock bushings at 75000 Kms the Rancho has been great.
Haven't touched anything.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O told ya so deano ..... Should have left it stock

The stocks 11 and up ball joints I have yet to replace any, even with truck that has 258 000 km on it...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex?
I believe the stage 1 uses the stock joints.
Deano ? Do you have wide wheels with different off set then stock?
I am running the stock wheels.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 4" Cognito Lift - Ball Joints?

I thought any of the 2-4 inch cognitto Stuff used the bolt in ball joints from older gm 1/2 tons

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I thought any of the 2-4 inch cognitto Stuff used the bolt in ball joints from older gm 1/2 tons

Stage #2 has upper control arms with bolt in ball joints .
Same as the 2 inch leveling kit with upper control arms.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Stage #2 has upper control arms with bolt in ball joints .
Same as the 2 inch leveling kit with upper control arms.

Honestly, I'm unsure exactly what I have. All I have is a bunch of part numbers from the build sheet. I said I wanted JUST enough lift to fit my tires and wanted it done right - not just a leveling kit. The upper control arms are Cognito and do have bolt in ball joints. From what I understand, these come stock with half ton ball joints and the dealership uses a Moog heavy half replacement. I suspect the problem is that this setup might work for a one ton gasser but just can't handle the weight of a diesel.

I do have an aggressive offset on my rims, but that was also done by the dealership. In any case, I trusted them to take care of me and now I want them fix it or refund it. I don't know whether or not the setup just won't work for my truck or if they royally screwed up the install - either way, I don't think I should have to pay $3000 per year to maintain a $6000 lift.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You should be able to put the stock upper a arms back on.
And know that is crazy maintenance that shouldn't be required .
Aggressive offset is hard on parts though.

Top Bottom