4' 250 pound muskrat sighting on trans can #1 that bites!!

Reaction score
I phoned the Kamloops GOVERMENT inspection scale and got their offical answer about the "how many straps do you need on your sled question". The OFFICER on the other end of the line told me that you only need 2 straps on your sled. one in the the front and one in back. He said that this is the law and any more is a personal prefference thing. That being said, i am sure it is open for interperation by other OFFICERS of the law. I have 4 sleds in my trailer with 8 straps.......if this is not good enough im not sure what else to do.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I phoned the Kamloops GOVERMENT inspection scale and got their offical answer about the "how many straps do you need on your sled question". The OFFICER on the other end of the line told me that you only need 2 straps on your sled. one in the the front and one in back. He said that this is the law and any more is a personal prefference thing. That being said, i am sure it is open for interperation by other OFFICERS of the law. I have 4 sleds in my trailer with 8 straps.......if this is not good enough im not sure what else to do.

Ya I talked to my Dad today and he basically said the same thing. Ski's clamped in the front and 2 straps in the rear is what he said should keep the fuzz happy. He did mention that the single superclamp at the rear should be fine if there is a load rating on it somewhere but suggested an extra strap with it wouldn't hurt anything either. Like someone previously said, whats the big deal about an extra 3 min to throw on an extra strap?

He also said if your in question of the regulations for the province you are in-as it does vary slightly from province to province-the best bet is to stop in at the local commercial scale and ask them. They do both commercial and non commercial inspections and are the best source to get the regs from.

The interpretation of this area of the regs is a little dodgy and if you get ticketed, he suggested sending a letter to the detachment the issuing officer works out of questioning what was wrong with the way it was tied down. Obviously, if it didn't have anything to hold it down on the rear, your SOL. They may drop the fine before it goes to court if you can prove that it was secured somewhat. He also said if you made a concious effort to secure your load, and the cop doesn't like it and tickets you, and you can prove to the judge that you did have at least some sort of load securement in place, (pictures at the time of the offence for instance) you would likely still be found guilty, but the judge likely will give you a suspended sentance (basically you don't pay the fine).

Bottom line - use common sense when securing whatever it is your hauling.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told two days ago by a police officer that it needs to be attached down at two points according to the motor vehicle code. This is due tyo the fact that it is under 5000lbs, if it was over 5000lbs then it'd need to be attached at 4 points. So he told me that my sled in the back of my pickup would be legally tied down with one strap on each side at the rear holding it in.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And according to what we were told tonight in Valemont, 1 inch straps are not good enough. But to use 2 inch straps, it does not matter if they are labeled with the load strength on them. They are considering the vehicle braking force in a threshold brake situation.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Your straps should have a load rating tag on them.
This was coming into force as of Jan 2011. but now has been amended till 2013.

Peeps can call and talk to any member of the rcmp or dot and get mixed answers.

In our company I went directly to the Edmonton office of dot and got my answeres in writing. This is provable and also can suphenea (not sure of the spelling) the individual to answere why he put it in writing.

If one of our trucks, trailers, or employees gets a ticket, I will take the actual written document to the officer in charge and let them review.
If they do no drop the charge, I am sure the judge will.

I have had two conflicting tickets for employees in Feb and both times the NCO in charge voided the tickets and advised me that he will be informing his staff to pay closer attention.

I was cool with that as no one person can honestly know all the regs and each person can interpret them differntly.

I use the OH$S regs daily and a person can get differnt opinions when four people read and explain their version. The plain language book for OH$S helps but still can be skewed.

These regs and rules were written by lawyers for lawyers use.

Just saying.
abide as much as possible and always be nice to the peeps who are inspecting and I will guarantee they will let you off with a warning if they are any kind of a real person.

We are all trying to abide by the law and are not your typical crack head thief murder types.

Superclamp

Reaction score
Your straps should have a load rating tag on them.
This was coming into force as of Jan 2011. but now has been amended till 2013.

Peeps can call and talk to any member of the rcmp or dot and get mixed answers.

In our company I went directly to the Edmonton office of dot and got my answeres in writing. This is provable and also can suphenea (not sure of the spelling) the individual to answere why he put it in writing.

If one of our trucks, trailers, or employees gets a ticket, I will take the actual written document to the officer in charge and let them review.
If they do no drop the charge, I am sure the judge will.

I have had two conflicting tickets for employees in Feb and both times the NCO in charge voided the tickets and advised me that he will be informing his staff to pay closer attention.

I was cool with that as no one person can honestly know all the regs and each person can interpret them differntly.

I use the OH$S regs daily and a person can get differnt opinions when four people read and explain their version. The plain language book for OH$S helps but still can be skewed.

These regs and rules were written by lawyers for lawyers use.

Just saying.
abide as much as possible and always be nice to the peeps who are inspecting and I will guarantee they will let you off with a warning if they are any kind of a real person.

We are all trying to abide by the law and are not your typical crack head thief murder types.

You are 100% right, and I have to add that over the last few year it is funny that you get all kinds of story on what is appropriate way of tieing down your sled. It is not stated anywhere a Snowmobile has to have a 4 point restraint, It is stated the front and back have to be secure, #1- with a bar or clamp on the front and #2- 1 or 2 tie down straps on the back , but very important is how the back is fastened with the tie downs strap or straps, and or 1- Superclamp-rear to clamp your skid to the trailer and is 100% DOT compliant. In an enclosed trailer the same law is required and if you dont comply it is considered an unsured load period, no argueing. If anyone has any question on tieing down your snowmoblies We would be more then happy to answer all your questions, call us anytime as we at Superclamp comply to all DOT and Transport Canada Safety Acts Rules and Regulations for over 14 years. Call anytime at 1-403-203-2210

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are 100% right, and I have to add that over the last few year it is funny that you get all kinds of story on what is appropriate way of tieing down your sled. It is not stated anywhere a Snowmobile has to have a 4 point restraint, It is stated the front and back have to be secure, #1- with a bar or clamp on the front and #2- 1 or 2 tie down straps on the back , but very important is how the back is fastened with the tie downs strap or straps, and or 1- Superclamp-rear to clamp your skid to the trailer and is 100% DOT compliant. In an enclosed trailer the same law is required and if you dont comply it is considered an unsured load period, no argueing. If anyone has any question on tieing down your snowmoblies We would be more then happy to answer all your questions, call us anytime as we at Superclamp comply to all DOT and Transport Canada Safety Acts Rules and Regulations for over 14 years. Call anytime at 1-403-203-2210

Is there a tag or marking on the superclamps stating what they are rated for?

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
Hey SuperClamp. are your clamps coming out marked with recommented weight like straps and chains have markings on. just a ? buddy, because i have four of them. Just so i know if it comes to a issue. I work in transportation so just for people to know what the rating is for them.:)

sledhead65

Reaction score
Thank you for that info Superclamp.. and BTW thaks for sending out the upgraded J hoks for my clamps, i called you Dec 30 about a rear clamp hook that my neandrethal cop buddy broke (lol) i received the new ones Jan 3.

I havent been inspected yet but if the cops think i am using 2 inch or wider tie downs on my custom sled..just to make a uneducated armed ticket writer happy.. then the court battle is on...

ridehard1212

Reaction score
such BS.. How many sleds you here of falling off a truck or deck??? Thats what i thought!!!! MONEY GRAB!! Go after real criminals pigs! Have been hauling in an enlclosed for 5+ years, never tied a sled down! We even put trailer over close to 90 deg. bank 30ft down(truck stayed on road thanks to trailer being stopped by tree) but point of the story was the sleds barely had a scratch! :rant:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
such BS.. How many sleds you here of falling off a truck or deck??? Thats what i thought!!!! MONEY GRAB!! Go after real criminals pigs! Have been hauling in an enlclosed for 5+ years, never tied a sled down! We even put trailer over close to 90 deg. bank 30ft down(truck stayed on road thanks to trailer being stopped by tree) but point of the story was the sleds barely had a scratch! :rant:

you have never tied the sled down inside an enclosed unit:rolleyes::eek: i dont know what is stupider your comment or your attitude?
in an emergency stop situation,for example, somebody cuts you off when your doing highway speed i mean pulls across the highway directly in fron of you. that thin wall at the front of your trailer is going to do little to stop that rear sled, assuming its a four place, from coming out of that trailer. or rollover situation those sleds will be coming through the roof,

another point that must be a crazy long trailer if it went over a 30ft bank and your truck was still on the road, must be 40ft+ i am thinking.:eek:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have never tied the sled down inside an enclosed unit:rolleyes::eek: i dont know what is stupider your comment or your attitude?
in an emergency stop situation,for example, somebody cuts you off when your doing highway speed i mean pulls across the highway directly in fron of you. that thin wall at the front of your trailer is going to do little to stop that rear sled, assuming its a four place, from coming out of that trailer. or rollover situation those sleds will be coming through the roof,

another point that must be a crazy long trailer if it went over a 30ft bank and your truck was still on the road, must be 40ft+ i am thinking.:eek:

X2. I guess you like beating your sleds off the walls and stuff. Unless you drive 60km/h everywhere.

Your lucky you have never had an incident like this guy did:

Attachments

• pic 3 012.jpg
    pic 3 012.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 196

CC77

Reaction score
X2. I guess you like beating your sleds off the walls and stuff. Unless you drive 60km/h everywhere.

Your lucky you have never had an incident like this guy did:

0212110747950001-1.jpg

That trailer had sleds untied and they had less damage than the last one I saw that had his sleds tied down.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not just damage to the sleds. If you have swerve, and all sleds shift inside the trailer, that can put you in the ditch or oncoming lane.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

Pipe in anytime!

Aparantely things can happen..

CC77

Reaction score
It's not just damage to the sleds. If you have swerve, and all sleds shift inside the trailer, that can put you in the ditch or oncoming lane.

Sheds shifting in the trailer is a lot less of a worry around here than 60 mile an hour wind gusts are. Not sure I buy you're logic that sleds shifting is going to put a truck in the ditch unless you are pulling too big of a trailer with too small of a truck

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sheds shifting in the trailer is a lot less of a worry around here than 60 mile an hour wind gusts are. Not sure I buy you're logic that sleds shifting is going to put a truck in the ditch unless you are pulling too big of a trailer with too small of a truck

On an icy road I would be concerned. It doesn't take much to get a trailer swaying with everything tied down.

gusgus

Reaction score
Six foot a-hole joke

a women gets pulled over on her way to work . the cop asks the ussual question why are you in such a hurry. the women replies that she is late for work and he cuts her off and says I suppose you have a really important job like a doctor where it a matter of life and death that you be there huh. the lady says no accually I am a a-hole stretcher. the cop says an a-hole stretcher what is that. she says it is where you start with one finger and then work in a second until you got your whole hand in there and then the other hand and you keep stretching until it is about six foot. the cop says well what do you do with a six foot a-hole? the lady says give them a gun and badge and have them pull people over that are late for work

Top Bottom